• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 130 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Back on the bike! Revalidation is going well.
8d6633af-fe2d-11ea-aae0-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

8d39303e-fe2d-11ea-aae0-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

(also, I had to go to page 2 to find Remco's page ... Logic, you're slacking.)
I think tomorrow (or this weekend) he'll have an important check up.
PS: now that Remco is a successful pro, most news is quickly picked up by mainstream cycling media. I try to be somewhat selective of the news to post. But i was going to post this, if you hadn't beaten me to it.

Let's hope he does the Vuelta :D
I assume you're joking, but if not, team doctors already told him last month he should get that idea out of his head. On the other hand he seems eager and pigheaded, but i can't imagine them letting him go considering it's only 3 weeks before the Vuelta starts, even if the fracture has healed perfectly. He has a high base level, but he's lost a lot of muscle, can't really see this as an option. What would he be able to do if he'd end up going? He couldn't realistically go for a GC surely, even going for a stagewin seems pretty unlikely. Though maybe there is something to be said for just gaining some experience.

Is there a one week stage race starting later than the Vuelta that has a time trial. That could be a useful test and be psychologically easier for him than having to wait until January to race again.

Obviously with the proviso of good medical results and sustained good power data from multiple training rides.

Is there a one week stage race starting later than the Vuelta that has a time trial. That could be a useful test and be psychologically easier for him than having to wait until January to race again.

Obviously with the proviso of good medical results and sustained good power data from multiple training rides.

The Vuelta is the last Pro race to finish on November 8th. The only other option would be the five day Giro Di Sardegna (2.1) which runs from 28.10 to 1.11. No idea if it has a TT though?

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think tomorrow (or this weekend) he'll have an important check up.
PS: now that Remco is a successful pro, most news is quickly picked up by mainstream cycling media. I try to be somewhat selective of the news to post. But i was going to post this, if you hadn't beaten me to it.

I assume you're joking, but if not, team doctors already told him last month he should get that idea out of his head. On the other hand he seems eager and pigheaded, but i can't imagine them letting him go considering it's only 3 weeks before the Vuelta starts, even if the fracture has healed perfectly. He has a high base level, but he's lost a lot of muscle, can't really see this as an option. What would he be able to do if he'd end up going? He couldn't realistically go for a GC surely, even going for a stagewin seems pretty unlikely. Though maybe there is something to be said for just gaining some experience.
Yeah, I'm joking. Mostly. Of course the responsible thing to do - and also what's gonna happen - is to call it a season. But man I miss watching him race. I can't remember ever having been this down about a rider crashing and ending his season early.

Yeah, I'm joking. Mostly. Of course the responsible thing to do - and also what's gonna happen - is to call it a season. But man I miss watching him race. I can't remember ever having been this down about a rider crashing and ending his season early.

Contador and Froome crashing out of 2014 Tour was the closest but even then we had seen them battle before and seen them at their best. This time around what we missed out on was the epic voyage of discovery.

He doesn't need his crutches anymore and is nearly free of pain. He can start training again, slowly.

He does appear to have suffered some braindamage, judging by his taste in music.

View: https://twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1309796874552061953

Remco Evenepoel: “The real recovery has now begun for me”
Saturday 26 September 2020 - 11:29

Six weeks after his crash in Il Lombardia, the 20-year-old has taken the next step in his road to recovery.

On Friday, scans in the AZ hospital in Herentals showed that Remco Evenepoel’s recovery from his pelvic fracture is developing in the right direction. From now on, Remco doesn’t need his crutches anymore when walking around and he can slowly start building up training sessions on the rollers, in combination with a series of rehabilitation exercises with the physiotherapist. If that goes well, he can start looking forward to a first training ride in the open air.
“I’m doing well”, said Remco Evenepoel after his visit to the hospital. “I am almost completely pain-free and I am a lot more mobile. I can leave the crutches aside now and I’m happy to be able to start working in a more targeted manner. My recovery process has been going well in recent weeks. Initially I found it hard to go from everything to nothing in terms of movement. But after a necessary period of rest I became more and more mobile recently.”
“In the coming weeks, on weekdays I will spend several hours at the physiotherapist’s doing exercises for pelvic stability and flexibility, which I will combine with cycling training on the rollers. If everything goes well and the weather is fine, I can then go outside for a bike ride. You can say that the real recovery has now begun for me, working towards properly exercising again. The next goal is now to complete a proper training session on the rollers and then to ride outdoors. We’ll then see how that works out. I’m definitely not going out in the rain and taking unnecessary risks of slipping. As soon as the weather improves, I will definitely enjoy a nice training ride in the open air”, Evenepoel added.

Last edited:
Back on the bike! Revalidation is going well.
8d6633af-fe2d-11ea-aae0-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

8d39303e-fe2d-11ea-aae0-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

(also, I had to go to page 2 to find Remco's page ... Logic, you're slacking.)
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with all the computer data numbers. Are those numbers good? And secondly, what were his previous numbers before the crash? I mean as far as watts and power and all that. If I could understand it then I could also follow his progress. Thank you.

Reactions: Sandisfan
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFrjEooHAld/

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with all the computer data numbers. Are those numbers good? And secondly, what were his previous numbers before the crash? I mean as far as watts and power and all that. If I could understand it then I could also follow his progress. Thank you.
That's not even close to what he's capable of pushing in full fitness. Those are numbers regular people could push. Theoretically he should be able to push over 400W for one hour, according to old data.

Reactions: Andre

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts