• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Well, Lefevere didn't leave any doubt that riding the Vuelta was out of the question, in a Sporza talkshow. Apparently there were still some reservations whether or not it would be possible, but it seems it's been completely ruled out now. On the other hand, Lefevere said last year that there was no way Evenepoel was going to ride a GT in 2020, and yet a few months later he was planning on winning the Giro, lol. But i guess we can say we'll have to wait for 2021.

Well, Lefevere didn't leave any doubt that riding the Vuelta was out of the question, in a Sporza talkshow. Apparently there were still some reservations whether or not it would be possible, but it seems it's been completely ruled out now. On the other hand, Lefevere said last year that there was no way Evenepoel was going to ride a GT in 2020, and yet a few months later he was planning on winning the Giro, lol. But i guess we can say we'll have to wait for 2021.

I suspect this one is more a question of noting wanting to take any chances of any set backs by having him come back from injury too quickly?

In a documentary on VTM (Belgian channel) he said that if the fracture had been 1 millimeter more to one side, he would have been paralyzed (according to what doctors told him). He was also lucky that they found a small artery that had burst with the scan.

His "shoulder wipe" victory move was something he picked up from a Michael Jackson choreography (Dangerous), of who he was a huge fan as a kid (even going to carnival stores to buy Michael Jackson outfits and doing local dance competitions with Michael Jackson moves etc). He didn't mean it as a dig towards other riders.

During the recon of Lombardia, he was joking (on video) about turning on the GPS of his smartphone, so that they could find him if he were to die on the Sormano :oops:

PS: some pre-season PR:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zi6nS75hLY
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6YyvwaPzoo
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtt4-rz5nVo

Last edited:
In a documentary on VTM (Belgian channel) he said that if the fracture had been 1 millimeter more to one side, he would have been paralyzed (according to what doctors told him). He was also lucky that they found a small artery that had burst with the scan.

His "shoulder wipe" victory move was something he picked up from a Michael Jackson choreography (Dangerous), of who he was a huge fan as a kid (even going to carnival stores to buy Michael Jackson clothes and doing local dance competitions with Michael Jackson moves etc). He didn't mean it as a dig towards other riders.

During the recon of Lombardia, he was joking (on video) about turning on the GPS of his smartphone, so that they could find him if he were to die on the Sormano :oops:

I was pleasantly surprised by the documentary. It wasn't too sensationalist and the interviewer didn't impose himself too much. Sure, it wasn't very critical, but that's a consequence of the format.
I can't imagine how Evenepoels loved ones must have felt watching him go over that wall during the Tour of Lombardy.

His family and entourage watched the final of La Lombardia in a nearby town in Italy and were filmed doing so. The images of them in agony and panic are kind of haunting. You can see his father and girlfriend in this screen capture.

Other than that, like Gunther said, the docu isn't too focused on sensation and quite interesting to watch. You can find it on VTM Go, but you'll need an account and probably a Belgian VPN.

I specifically liked the part where his dad joined the conversation between the interviewer, Remco's mom and his girlfriend (Remco wasn't present), after coming back from work. Remco's dad is a self-employed plasterer, and he still had a chunk of chalk/plaster on his forehead during the interview :sweatsmile:

It does show that these are "real" people, and i think that the Remco we see in interviews is also simply who/how he is, warts and all.

Currently he can't stand watching the Giro. Not being there hurts too much. He's doing training rides of 70km already, he seems to have the right "feeling" on the bike (not afraid in corners etc).

He's scheduled to resume competition end of January (i assume that would be San Juan, where he started the past two seasons).

PS: he again said riding the TDF would depend on the Olympic games.

Last edited:
Currently he can't stand watching the Giro. Not being there hurts too much. He's doing training rides of 70km already, he seems to have the right "feeling" on the bike (not afraid in corners etc).

He's scheduled to resume competition end of January (i assume that would be San Juan, where he started the past two seasons).
I think he knows that he's much better than anyone contesting the GC in the Giro. He beat most of these guys with ease earlier this year. Thomas could have been a competitor, but he's gone now.

I think he knows that he's much better than anyone contesting the GC in the Giro. He beat most of these guys with ease earlier this year. Thomas could have been a competitor, but he's gone now.

I know it is a meme but I think given the form Remco was in he would have a Merckx like smash the field victory at the Giro.

I mean as much as I like Harm Vanhoucke, he's in 4th, and he may end up on the podium.

• Haha
Reactions: Bardamu
I know it is a meme but I think given the form Remco was in he would have a Merckx like smash the field victory at the Giro.

I mean as much as I like Harm Vanhoucke, he's in 4th, and he may end up on the podium.
That and also seeing both how well Almeida is riding plus how good a job of supporting him DQS are doing must make him feel that would have been him already a minute ahead of most contenders.

TRENDING THREADS