• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
In my opinion, Evenepoel has to go to the Tour.

Sure, it would be nice to win the Olympics but if he comes back from his injury just as strong he would be certainly one of the favourites. Look at the other contenders: Pogacar, Roglic, Bernal - the absolute crème de la crème. Win the Tour against those guys and he's the undisputed best in the world. A confident young man like Evenepoel needs to look at the heavyweights and say let's be having you. The TTs could well allow him to take yellow early on and certainly gives him an advantage over the rest. Round up the troops - Alaphilippe, Almeida, Masnada - and let's have the big four go head to head. May the best man win.

Probably better. Remco in good health would dominate your beloved Giro in a way you could not bare.
I've actually been waiting for someone to dominate the Giro for a long time.
Last time it happened was 2013 but half the mountain stages were either cancelled or mutilated.
I'll take a truly dominant performance a la Contador 2011 over the shenanigans of the past few years (Finestre 2018 excluded, obviously).

But yeah Remco not riding the Giro would obviously be much easier to accept than no Olympics.

Probably better. Remco in good health would dominate your beloved Giro in a way you could not bare.
The guy is an immense talent, but has never even startet a GT. I wouldn't be suprised if he wins if he enters, but dominate? I'm not so sure about that. Given the route design is good, I guess he would be attacked from all sides by the top climbers in the peloton.

I hope that doesn't happen because I really enjoy the Olympics but it would be great to see him in the Tour and it would also give an extra 6 weeks or so to build strength and condition post injury compared to targeting the Giro.

I highly doubt he'd need the extra 6 weeks to be in top condition.

He's already training four to five hours daily on the bike and working hard on explosivity, intensity and stability.

I fully expect him to enter the cycling season all guns blazing from the start and I just hope he won't be to eager to start off in absolute top condition only to fade a little when the big races are coming up.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The guy is an immense talent, but has never even startet a GT. I wouldn't be suprised if he wins if he enters, but dominate? I'm not so sure about that. Given the route design is good, I guess he would be attacked from all sides by the top climbers in the peloton.

Depends on his on own form and whether he's totally healed, which I am assuming, and his competitors. If it's a competition like this year... yeah, I know, this year wasn't normal :)

Well, to be honest, after watching Poland, Burgos and Lombardia up until the moment he crashed, it's hard to think of him doing anything else but dominate. That stagewin in Poland was simply demeaning and derogatory. Tossing Carapaz, Yates, Fuglsang, Majka around. If he can do that over 3 weeks as well... I think Evenepoel is the kind of guy that would either not even make the top 10, or win the whole thing by minutes. Can't easily see him win a GT by 45 seconds. In Adriatica Ionica, we saw he doesn't care about 4th place.

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, after watching Poland, Burgos and Lombardia up until the moment he crashed, it's hard to think of him doing anything else but dominate. That stagewin in Poland was simply demeaning and derogatory. Tossing Carapaz, Yates, Fuglsang, Majka around. If he can do that over 3 weeks as well... I think Evenepoel is the kind of guy that would either not even make the top 10, or win the whole thing by minutes. Can't easily see him win a GT by 45 seconds. In Adriatica Ionica, we saw he doesn't care about 4th place.

I think that we just need to wait and see. He surely is a prodigy with a lot of talent, but to say that he will dominate is just unfair to the other riders, we are not yet talking about Eddy Merckx, a GT isn't the Burgos, nor TdP, we don' t know his limits neither his recovery.

agreed. even if he proves to have three week recovery, i think it would be belittling Pog's immense talent and ability to be even better next year.

I've actually been waiting for someone to dominate the Giro for a long time.
Last time it happened was 2013 but half the mountain stages were either cancelled or mutilated.
I'll take a truly dominant performance a la Contador 2011 over the shenanigans of the past few years (Finestre 2018 excluded, obviously).

But yeah Remco not riding the Giro would obviously be much easier to accept than no Olympics.
Just give me some Robobasso Evanepoel in 2021 and we will be hardchilling.

Reactions: Big Doopie

TRENDING THREADS