• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He may have one amazing domestique in Sagan

Sagan actually was an OUTSTANDING dom for Contador in 2015. Too bad Conta decided to get close with the French road on the Allos. Sagan was still more useful than Majka was though after the crash
If Sagan was on a squad like...Emerald...whatever; you'd see how good that Dude is. Remco; after he regains heroic form: will find out how strong some of these men are.
After.

Last edited:
You are over-complicating the issue - Remco's number one goal is the Olympics and he feels the Giro is the best preparation for this goal.
I realize this is the thing, I just think the Olympics is such a moving target that it’s hard to imagine basing the season around it. Maybe I’m missing something but it sure seems ripe for cancellation again.

The Japanese government are very determined to go ahead with things, however the question is will more countries will drop out? North Korea has dropped out, though that could also be political, even though they cite the pandemic as the reason.
Obviously that is political. It's North Korea... What is ever not political with them?

I guess Lefevere found a new sponsor, since Evenepoel signed a massive 5-year deal, extending his recently extended contract even further.

I also assume this means the team is confident in his recovery.

View: https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst/status/1379420627900239878

QS might need to buy or develop a few mountain domestiques if they are going to hitch themselves to Remco for the next 5 years. But on the other hand a TDF team with Alaf, Almeida and Remco plus Asgreen and a couple of workers could give a lot of teams nightmares and would make for thrilling races. No place for Bennett in this scenario, however.

[...]
On the other hand, it would be Remco's debut GT and the prevailing thought seems to be that you don't send a rider (let alone one as young as Remco) to the Tour as his first GT with any hopes of finishing it.
[...]

I'm mostly worried about Evenepoel having some stupid neutral zone crash or something without getting comfortable in the peloton again first and ruining another season unneccessarily.

The Tour is even more notorious for that sort of thing than the Giro.

I agree with you on everything though. Regardless of his season goals, sending him to the Giro cold is a baffling decision imo. I don't get it, but if it works out then it's fine with me.

Compared with San Juan 2019 even I can see it though. If you have his current look in mind and see the video from back then, he looks super chubby. :sweatsmile:
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CM1fRPHHg1s/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Back there he was 64+kg. San Juan 2020 he had just given a press conference where he claimed to be 4kg lighter. In algarve/Burgos 2020 he was around 61 because he still wanted to lose some weight going into the Giro and he wanted to weigh 60 or less there. After his accident (where he was supposed to be close to his Giro weight) he spent weeks in bed and lost a lot of muscle. After training again, he stated he was even skinnier than ever... and then his relapse occurred (i think he even said he how much less he weighed), and they knew he had been too skinny for his own good, it hampered his healing process. So i can't imagine he's "as skinny" now. I think he'll be more in line with what he was during summer last year.

One thing though, black/dark clothes make you look skinnier. Last year had a lot of white in the kit, so it's quite likely he simply looks skinnier than last year without actually being skinnier.

Back there he was 64+kg. San Juan 2020 he had just given a press conference where he claimed to be 4kg lighter. In algarve/Burgos 2020 he was around 61 because he still wanted to lose some weight going into the Giro and he wanted to weigh 60 or less there. After his accident (where he was supposed to be close to his Giro weight) he spent weeks in bed and lost a lot of muscle. After training again, he stated he was even skinnier than ever... and then his relapse occurred (i think he even said he how much less he weighed), and they knew he had been too skinny for his own good, it hampered his healing process. So i can't imagine he's "as skinny" now. I think he'll be more in line with what he was during summer last year.

One thing though, black/dark clothes make you look skinnier. Last year had a lot of white in the kit, so it's quite likely he simply looks skinnier than last year without actually being skinnier.
As a photographer I also know the effect of different focal lengths on a lens, or different lighting conditions and angles will make an incredible difference in how heavy someone looks. Take the video above, fully lit with artificial light, and no shadows. Predominantly white kit. Going to make someone look a lot heavier than side-lit in full sun with a dark kit.

All of what you say makes sense, he probably is skinnier, but I was responding to folks reacting to a single recent photo. Photos can certainly also be accurate and it’s normal to see it and wonder, but I can’t arrive at a conclusion from one photo.

Last edited:
Apparently, Masnada has told La Gazzetta that Remco aims for the Giro win. Poor Landa.
From what i read, it doesn't differ that much from what had been said before. Obviously he wants to win if he can and he is leaving nothing to chance to increase his chances. But he doesn't know if/how he'll cope with the third week, even if he seems to be recovered fully. In case he cracks, the team will work for Almeida.

From what i read, it doesn't differ that much from what had been said before. Obviously he wants to win if he can and he is leaving nothing to chance to increase his chances. But he doesn't know if/how he'll cope with the third week, even if he seems to be recovered fully. In case he cracks, the team will work for Almeida.
Almeida is going to be protected or not. If he works for Remco for a good chunk of the race it’s not going to be easy to just transition into a leader’s role, he’ll be down on time and tired. If he’s protected that makes things a bit more complicated for the team and Remco earlier in the race. Interesting choices, as an on form Remco seems on another level than the very good but not incredible Almeida.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS