• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 163 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I'm still not 100% convinced that Romandie + Tour de Suisse wouldn't be a better prep for the Olympics that the Giro with no racing at all before it. You could still have him race the Vuelta afterwards.
I think they/he like the element of surprise, in case he can get close to top form. I'm talking about the Giro now, not the olympics. I suppose they feel he might actually have a shot at the Giro, so he wants to take his chances instead of doing smaller races instead.

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Ruben Van Gucht: 'insiders let us know that he is making serious values'
Tom Steels: 'That's true, he's a huge talent, but there's a big difference between training and an actual race. The effort is different and he needs to get back the feeling of riding in a peloton. Maybe it won't be a problem, we don't know'

The Giro starts with a time trial, no need for feeling in a peloton, and ITT effort can be copied exactly on training. So I read: 'ready for a good start'. Just fun to hear.

Ruben Van Gucht: 'insiders let us know that he is making serious values'
Tom Steels: 'That's true, he's a huge talent, but there's a big difference between training and an actual race. The effort is different and he needs to get back the feeling of riding in a peloton. Maybe it won't be a problem, we don't know'

The Giro starts with a time trial, no need for feeling in a peloton, and ITT effort can be copied exactly on training. So I read: 'ready for a good start'. Just fun to hear.

Maybe I already forgot what was being said, but I don’t remember the conversation going that way. It was more like: « Is he back to pushing the same numbers as before his crash »? To which Steels answered: « Well it’s certainly going in the right direction, let’s put it like that » after which he started talking about the difference between training and racing.

Maybe I already forgot what was being said, but I don’t remember the conversation going that way. It was more like: « Is he back to pushing the same numbers as before his crash »? To which Steels answered: « Well it’s certainly going in the right direction, let’s put it like that » after which he started talking about the difference between training and racing.
Both things were said actually. At the start of the program they asked him yes/no questions where the question and answer you stated, were said. Later in the program the conversation Remcredo translated, took place as well. This was followed by the difference between training and racing.

Reactions: Naico
Both things were said actually. At the start of the program they asked him yes/no questions where the question and answer you stated, were said. Later in the program the conversation Remcredo translated, took place as well. This was followed by the difference between training and racing.

Must have missed it then. Good to hear. A latest report from within the team also indicates that everything went very smoothly in Spain and that he’s on track for the Giro.

Well I'll confess that I was hoping for some kind of miraculous unveiling of power at the Giro, and that I'm a little disappointed with "it's certainly headed in that direction". But of course this is what would be expected, I was just hoping to be amazed. :)

No worries, epic scenes will happen. During breakaways bored Remco will be eating pizzas & drinking wine in roadside pizzerias. He will still win comfortably (unless some fake waiter puts lexatives into his glass).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm still not 100% convinced that Romandie + Tour de Suisse wouldn't be a better prep for the Olympics that the Giro with no racing at all before it. You could still have him race the Vuelta afterwards.
I agree. Evenepoel and his team take a hugh risk. Start an exhausting Giro without competition and without experience. There are two or three scenarios possible.
1. Evenepoel is conditional a bit short at the start of the Giro, and loses time and is no longer eligible for the ranking... but gets better after a week or ten days and still shows beautiful things the last week. 2. Evenepoel starts well, even strong, but weakens after a few days, followed by agony in the mountains during the second part of the Giro. 3. The same as scenario 2, but no agony, and Evenepoel improves again in the end. One has to hope for the scenarios 1 or 3. Because scenario 2 would lead to fysical and mental downfall. What would be very bad for his olympic games.

Remco and the team doctor (Philip Jansen) decided not to get vaccinated so shortly before the Giro, not taking any risks with possible side effects of the vaccine. The team doctor suggested he has many antibodies in his system.
This is idiotic. Was it 2 or 3 teams who had to leave the Giro last year because their riders caught Covid during the race? If you must delay, then get your 2nd shot (the one where people are experiencing symptoms and side effects) after the Giro is over, but at least get your first now and take the protection that offers.

And that's BEFORE we get into the whole major public figure opting not to take the vaccine, worried about side effects, tinfoil hat don't-tell-me-what-to-put-in-my-body conspiracy BS that will no doubt spring out of it.

This is idiotic. Was it 2 or 3 teams who had to leave the Giro last year because their riders caught Covid during the race? If you must delay, then get your 2nd shot (the one where people are experiencing symptoms and side effects) after the Giro is over, but at least get your first now and take the protection that offers.

And that's BEFORE we get into the whole major public figure opting not to take the vaccine, worried about side effects, tinfoil hat don't-tell-me-what-to-put-in-my-body conspiracy BS that will no doubt spring out of it.

I don't know why he's on the list for vaccination already, anyway, but if he would get AZ there's indeed a high chance for a young person to have side effects like flu-like symptoms for some days - nothing serious / harmful, but enough to take him out of training for a few days again, and I can understand that that is not what you would want right now. (I've heard of quite many people with side-effects after the first shot.)
And I think if he says I'm not taking it now, but I will after the Giro, that doesn't do harm to the vaxx-image.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS