• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 241 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Wouldn't any bike racer follow the lead group down a descent in the finale of a monument? I don't see a stupid decision, I see bad bike handling.
Bad bike handling, which should have been addressed by the team more in depth imho. I still feel they dropped the ball, considering they were aware of his lack of experience and lack of bike handling with the short period he had been on a bike. Then the team made a second mistake not to stress enough not to take too many risks, again especially since they never really addressed his lack of experience in the first place.

He shouldn't have tried to follow Nibali, but that should have been made clear by the experienced DS, not automatically expected of the inexperienced rider.

Bad bike handling, which should have been addressed by the team more in depth imho. I still feel they dropped the ball, considering they were aware of his lack of experience and lack of bike handling with the short period he had been on a bike. Then the team made a second mistake not to stress enough not to take too many risks, again especially since they never really addressed his lack of experience in the first place.

He shouldn't have tried to follow Nibali, but that should have been made clear by the experienced DS, not automatically expected of the inexperienced rider.

He lost his chance at Lombardia, at the Worlds, and at the Giro because he took a risk where the pay off is basically 0.
Choice was to get dropped and lose. Payoff would have been a Lombardia win.

Folks seem to think he could have just rejoined. Maybe. Seems to me the group would have worked...I'll say PRETTY HARD to not let him back on. If he does get back on, he's tired. Much harder to go solo.

Obviously the best thing to do is stay with the group. He made it to the bottom of the descent and missed one turn. I know if I'm in a bike race I'm risking a LOT to say with that group. No way he could have foreseen missing the Giro because he flew into a ravine.

This is a bike race. Not some calculated event where everyone can foresee every outcome.

He's kinda young Anakin Skywalker right now. Power is there, but learn to use it you must, young Padawan. He can't win it if someone else has got upper hand. :D

GT's and Monuments are so hard places with everybody geared up in every way that empty cockyness, believing the hype or overdoing in wrong time can cause almost life if only race placing. Humble pie is needed. Hopefully he or team don't try to rush things.

But it was good that he did longish Giro, it peeled him like an onion. My guess is that he would not reached any key jerseys there even if he was in his top condition before Lombardia crash.

Everything is possible for him if he decides to learn the ropes.

He's kinda young Anakin Skywalker right now. Power is there, but learn to use it you must, young Padawan. He can't win it if someone else has got upper hand. :D

I laughed at this, i.e. now when I watch him racing I'll be thinking of the "you underestimate my power!!!" scene over & over.

But in all seriousness, a certain dose of immaturity is to be expected with this baby generation, i.e. it's all gone too quickly & too easily for a few guys in the peloton & they've missed some formative years.

I also don't believe Remco Evenepoel is in the right team either, i.e. the pomposity of the "wolfpack" feeds a certain sort of entitled arrogance (they even use that as a hashtag for christ's sake), but that's another issue altogether. I mean imagine this guy in a team like Jumbo or Ineos? He'd be nurtured, protected & given tasks which make sense (like Foss at JV or even Bernal a few years ago).

Fighting for the Giro did not make sense (neither does beating-up on the handlebars). A 21 year old needs better management.

No Tour for Remco next year.

i think i posted this as the most logical choice (maybe a couple of pages back). there is absolutely no rush.
  1. Needs to get back into his previous shape before the crash (with the idea of improving on that now that he is older).
  2. Get some wins under his belt, regain confidence.
  3. Full prep for the Giro (and let's hope that there is a minimum of two TTs adding up to at least 60 km)

i think i posted this as the most logical choice (maybe a couple of pages back). there is absolutely no rush.
  1. Needs to get back into his previous shape before the crash (with the idea of improving on that now that he is older).
  2. Get some wins under his belt, regain confidence.
  3. Full prep for the Giro (and let's hope that there is a minimum of two TTs adding up to at least 60 km)
Depends on why they're choosing the Giro over the Tour. I doubt it's about the route seeing as they're not out yet. But I agree the Giro is a lower key race.

Meanwhile, IIRC both Pogacar and Roglic said they were thinking about Giro 2022 as well?

They probably think that the hectic first week of the Tour would be too much for him atm (I don't really disagree with that) and the media hype in Belgium would also be out of control.
That said, I'd first look at the routes that the various GTs have, if the Tour has way more kms of ITT it might be worth it to send him alongside Ala.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Depends on why they're choosing the Giro over the Tour. I doubt it's about the route seeing as they're not out yet. But I agree the Giro is a lower key race.

Meanwhile, IIRC both Pogacar and Roglic said they were thinking about Giro 2022 as well?
I guess the Giro really wants to have a big MTF/mountain stage in Slovenia to lure those 2 to the Giro.

..sometimes I catch myself thinking how would a pre-accident Remco have done in this Tour...

Me too. Thinking how Tadej with Remco as his minuteman would have catched him halfway to the finishline in yesterdays tt, coming to his side when overtaking him (it's 60k per hour here). And that casual careless look we saw yesterday, as he looks Remco, and he goes by. :sunglasses:

Me too. Thinking how Tadej with Remco as his minuteman would have catched him halfway to the finishline in yesterdays tt, coming to his side when overtaking him (it's 60k per hour here). And that casual careless look we saw yesterday, as he looks Remco, and he goes by. :sunglasses:

I enjoy the complete irrational thinking of all the Remco haters.

They work on two false assumptions:

1. That he has not lost a year in his natural progression due to the crash. They prefer to judge his future potential on what he is doing right now. How convenient.

2. That unlike other young riders with huge potential, somehow Remco is the only one who will not progress after age 20.

Lol.

While two naked supermodels are dancing in front of you, pouring champagne over your body. Meanwhile Prince, Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson are giving you a private concert in the background, with George Michael and David Bowie doing the backing vocals. Jimi Hendrix on guitar, James Brown on the piano.

• Wow
Reactions: memyselfandI
I enjoy the complete irrational thinking of all the Remco haters.

They work on two false assumptions:

1. That he has not lost a year in his natural progression due to the crash. They prefer to judge his future potential on what he is doing right now. How convenient.

2. That unlike other young riders with huge potential, somehow Remco is the only one who will not progress after age 20.

Lol.
That's all true about the irrational thinking re the detractors AND also just as true for a lot of his supporters on this thread.

While two naked supermodels are dancing in front of you, pouring champagne over your body. Meanwhile Prince, Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson are giving you a private concert in the background, with George Michael and David Bowie doing the backing vocals. Jimi Hendrix on guitar, James Brown on the piano.

C'mon don't take it so hard, you and others here, who are rooting for Remco. Like I said I'm not Belgian, not Slovenian. Overall I'm neutral on him, not hater by any means. Maybe I hate this hype around him, as it's bit early, as we see. And Eddy said it too and he's Belgian! (and he's right this time).

I'm realistic too, knowing that many athletes are walking on tightrope through careers. I don't think that too much these days, maybe I was more bright eyes when I entered this fine circus around 30 yrs ago, these days I mostly relax sit back and enjoy the show. So when I see young Slovenian or young Belgian go and smash them all to pieces, I yell loudly for athletic performance and good overall package and from my coaching backround long gone by, but not from the bottom of my heart.

So mostly joking here for and against every athlete. And as told many times nothing against RE, good raw diamond, that needs much work.

p.s. good setup, all my favourites there, for reals, except supamodels i don't recall.. Talented setup like this dearly circus we're witnessing, but many of them, well I know you know this: people like sausages, but not that keen to know how they're made.

I wonder if Remco is ok with the decision not to ride the Tdf next year, i mean think if the route of the Tdf suit him to a tee, why come out already with something like that?
What if the recuperation and progression looks really good from here to March? strange.

I wonder if Remco is ok with the decision not to ride the Tdf next year, i mean think if the route of the Tdf suit him to a tee, why come out already with something like that?
What if the recuperation and progression looks really good from here to March? strange.
There was take about him doing the Vuelta as well this year. I think they've taken that option off the table, which could explain them wanting him to do the Giro again first.

Would be good to put him to the Vuelta this year for maybe 2 weeks to give him second longer than usual race but not full GT. And with domestique duties, for Almeida, Masnada or whoever but absolutely not leader role. Getting bottles and stuff would be excellent training for him in highest playground, burst power and technical that he needs. Then Worlds, then rest, training and longish cx-season to give something else to think about and most of all technical and burst power. Then progressive roadtraining and racing and then hopefully full Giro.

TRENDING THREADS