• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 253 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Can he now speak to the press again?:D
Yup the camera crew is there anyway. ..Special episode on Belgian tv next week: Remco wins monumental cycling race, he is officially better than Eddy Merckx:cool::eek::cool:

(his win was breaking news on belgian news apps:p)

But my comment goes further than just a win. I sincerely think it would do Remco immensely good to just be away from the press and all of that. Around people that not kiss the ground he walks on.

Because now expectations are again all high up again.…

But we will see, glad he put Lefevre in his place. Who said that we wont see anything of Remco this season?:p

Reactions: spalco and noob
Just thinking about Remco, doesn't he have a very specific skillset, besides of TTing, of being capable of long range attacks and staying ahead of the peloton? This makes him very dangerous in hilly races.

This is very unique, but also it seems to me very limited in the nature of the races he's able to win. Not that he won't win, but things like a GT appear to need a different sort of riding.

Just thinking about Remco, doesn't he have a very specific skillset, besides of TTing, of being capable of long range attacks and staying ahead of the peloton? This makes him very dangerous in hilly races.

This is very unique, but also it seems to me very limited in the nature of the races he's able to win. Not that he won't win, but things like a GT appear to need a different sort of riding.
Mostly the hilly races where hills are short enough that the majority of time is still on flat roads. In fact I think he's better on the flat on a road bike than in TTs compared to other riders. Make of that what you will.

Mostly the hilly races where hills are short enough that the majority of time is still on flat roads. In fact I think he's better on the flat on a road bike than in TTs compared to other riders. Make of that what you will.

i agree. (aside: why do you think i keep pushing for more TTs and hilly stages in GTs... ;-) ) i commented in the race thread that he has a habit of attacking on the flat or false flat (after other action has happened and he senses riders are catching their breath). think about it: Tour of Belgium 2019, San Sebastian 2019, Tour of Poland 2020 and now this. if he gets the gap, he can then take advantage of his CdA and TT away from a group that is either tired or unwilling to work together (or both).

the question is will he ever be able to do that against the likes of Van Aert, Pog or Rog...? i think we all know the answer right now. however, can he develop the strength to do it over the next few years...? Presumably, he has the potential (good grief, yes, that word!) to get even stronger. he is after all still very young despite the lost year.

the thing that I find exciting is that he actually wins like few riders do anymore, and that harkens back to a past that was of course better (tongue firmly in cheek).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Volderke and noob
Super effort and love the full push to batter the field.

One thing that was striking was that he rode with controlled power on Kiddesvej doing the climb only a little quicker than the chasers but held in reserve the power to smash the false flat over the top and put huge time in on that section every lap much as Cancellara has done on the Paterberg transition in the RVV.

If he keeps improving there won’t be many hard one day races not in his compass but this does not answer anything about lengthy Grand Tour climbs.

TRENDING THREADS