• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 291 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
How old was WvA at that race? One should not expect mature behavior from a 15 year old fully pumped up by adrenaline. Hopefully, after the race his coach told him to get a grip and behave should he want to continue on the path as a professional athlete.

The WvA of today knows how to behave properly. Watch the post Paris-Roubaix interview. No excuses there.

Is it proper behaviour to extend your middle finger at a rival after a sprint?

Evenepoel finished well today. Looked pretty good, too, when he crossed the line. It's mostly his climbing IMO ...he has to be on a great day to climb very well.
He has to be on a great day to climb well. I guess like Vingegaard, who only nearly managed to hold on the front group and finished 50s ahead of him. Or Vlasov who finished minutes down. Or Simon Yates. Or Champoussin, Almeida, Mollema, Pozzovivo... I think it's a bit strange to come to such conclusions at the end of the season with a bumpy start to say the least, while he's been back to form since Danmark Rundt, now two months ago. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The entire season wasn't what he will have hoped, that's for sure, but it's not like he was able to ride it with an ideal preperation and base.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Evenepoel finished well today. Looked pretty good, too, when he crossed the line. It's mostly his climbing IMO ...he has to be on a great day to climb very well.

He just seems to be unable to go with a sudden upping of the pace. Give him time, he comes back. But he just seems to often lose the wheel when they suddenly go a lot faster. While he's able to push quite suddenly on the flat, not sprint, but make a kind of sudden strong affort, but maybe it's because his aeroness helps him more then than when he's on a steep climbing?

Reactions: noob
He has to be on a great day to climb well. I guess like Vingegaard, who only nearly managed to hold on the front group and finished 50s ahead of him. Or Vlasov who finished minutes down. Or Simon Yates. Or Champoussin, Almeida, Mollema, Pozzovivo... I think it's a bit strange to come to such conclusions at the end of the season with a bumpy start to say the least, while he's been back to form since Danmark Rundt, now two months ago. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The entire season wasn't what he will have hoped, that's for sure, but it's not like he was able to ride it with an ideal preperation and base.

Yeah, I agree I wouldn't draw too much from this one race, but still there seems to be a pattern.

Did he regain weight at some point between the Giro and now?

Did he regain weight at some point between the Giro and now?
Don't think he is heavier then before his crash and with that form he should be able to follow the group. not drop 2minutes or so? Think he had a bad day or is just over the top. (like some others who hang on for dear life) which was unexpected.

(note we did see has was already a bit weaker on climbs compared to Almeida, Yates and Roglic earlier in the week, seemed to have worsened by the end of the week.)

Don't want to draw to big conclusions on this, but it seems he would do better if he does a long attack and pacing his tempo instead of more intervals. (which isn't what you want for GT)

Reactions: Red Rick
Don't think he is heavier then before his crash and with that form he should be able to follow the group. not drop 2minutes or so? Think he had a bad day or is just over the top. (like some others who hang on for dear life) which was unexpected.

(note we did see has was already a bit weaker on climbs compared to Almeida, Yates and Roglic earlier in the week, seemed to have worsened by the end of the week.)
My guess is he's now heavier than he was during last year's Lombardia. He was working towards the Giro then, and he had said that he wanted to weigh 60kg for the Giro.
Yeah, I agree I wouldn't draw too much from this one race, but still there seems to be a pattern.
A pattern in efforts of a 21 year old in a season he's coming back from a rather impactful injury. Sure.

Reactions: Riek s
i have to admit today was the first time i started to buy into the questions about whether he will ever challenge in successive high mountains.

i agree it has been a rollercoaster ride this season and he has done well to return to winning ways, but...today is the first time i have started to doubt a little whether he is truly GT material.

he is very young and coming off a terrible injury and hard to read too much into one race, so i will go into next season with hope, but that hope is now tempered, tbh.

The reality is that Pogacar on his day, which is not infrequent, is the new Eddy Merckx.
This is a contradictio in terminis.

Remco Evenepoel is a Belgian Diego Ulissi thread.

Remco eveenepol is a Belgian Simon spilak thread.

Remco Evenpoel is the next Wilco Kelderman thread.

Remco Evenepoel is the Belgian Tony Martin thread.
Please stick to the Masnada thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
i have to admit today was the first time i started to buy into the questions about whether he will ever challenge in successive high mountains.

i agree it has been a rollercoaster ride this season and he has done well to return to winning ways, but...today is the first time i have started to doubt a little whether he is truly GT material.

he is very young and coming off a terrible injury and hard to read too much into one race, so i will go into next season with hope, but that hope is now tempered, tbh.
His flat vs climbing performances remain enigmatic to me even if you account for him being super aero to an extent.

How far was he back over the top of the climb? It's like he can't push to hang on but then keeps going on the flats anyway

Reactions: Big Doopie

TRENDING THREADS