• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 313 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Probably means he did very little work in the gym.
That seems a likely interpretation based on the rest of the off-season work described.

Highly impressive start to the season and the GC is scattered after 1 fairly innocuous stage that should have seen a group of around 10-20 either contest the win or least finish within 20 seconds yet only Vlasov got anywhere near that close and he never got near to shutting the gap.

Reactions: red_flanders
They did a 15' test 2 days ago during the team stage :
  • Remco : 14'50"i - 430Wii - 7W/kg if 61kgiii
Remco's power numbers seem too high for such a small time difference meaning that either the numbers aren't accurate (not the first time) or that Ilan did the first part of the climb in Remco's wheel (seems possible since they have the same climbing time for the first 3km of this 6km segment, then Van Wilder lost 10' on the second part of the climb).
by comparison a 15 minute test Remco did last year March: https://www.strava.com/activities/5900368978#2868972708636100184
393W for 15 minutes or 6.32W/kg (says strava -62kg).
He is seems a lot stronger this year compared to last year.

by comparison a 15 minute test Remco did last year March: https://www.strava.com/activities/5900368978#2868972708636100184
393W for 15 minutes or 6.32W/kg (says strava -62kg).
He is seems a lot stronger this year compared to last year.
Well, last year in march he was training for a couple of weeks after being sidelined for 4 months due to his crash. It's to be expected his numbers are higher.
He was pushing over 400 watts for 20 minutes as a junior. It would indeed only make sense that in March he was still recovering from his crash and relapse.

Evenepoel has indeed started with a slightly higher weight (he looks like the San Sebastian Remco) . Or to put it another way, last year on his forced comeback, he was underweight. Both too little muscle and a little too little fat. Too little power and too little durability. What we quickly saw during the Giro. But also because of his irregular performance during last season. I think that Evenepoel is now approximately again reaching the level of the second half of 2020. But with more experience and a more mature body.

But because he didn't race a Grand Tour in 2020 with his 2020 form, that still doesn't say anything about his Grand Tour abilities.
Also curious how he will deal mentally in the third stage with the gravel section. In the giro he blocked completely in the heavy gravel stage. Especially in the gravel descents. But in the third stage it's just a gravel climb. Yet. Yesterday, in the few sharp bends in the descent, he didn't seem comfortable and didn't ride the best lines. I think that Evenepoel is still unconsciously carrying the consequences of his fall in Lombardia.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Evenepoel has indeed started with a slightly higher weight (he looks like the San Sebastian Remco) . Or to put it another way, last year on his forced comeback, he was underweight. Both too little muscle and a little too little fat. Too little power and too little durability. What we quickly saw during the Giro. But also because of his irregular performance during last season. I think that Evenepoel is now approximately again reaching the level of the second half of 2020. But with more experience and a more mature body.

But because he didn't race a Grand Tour in 2020 with his 2020 form, that still doesn't say anything about his Grand Tour abilities.
Also curious how he will deal mentally in the third stage with the gravel section. In the giro he blocked completely in the heavy gravel stage. Especially in the gravel descents. But in the third stage it's just a gravel climb. Yet. Yesterday, in the few sharp bends in the descent, he didn't seem comfortable and didn't ride the best lines. I think that Evenepoel is still unconsciously carrying the consequences of his fall in Lombardia.
I think the gravel section will be short and steep enough that the main issue is going to be watts rather than bike handling.

Reactions: Big Doopie

TRENDING THREADS