• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 550 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Its a bit of a shame that Remco only rides LBL and Lombardia this year but I really hope he targets Strade, MSR and RVV in the next years. If there a rider capable of rivalling Pogačar in GT's + monuments at the same time its him.
Only one he has a realistic chance of winning in the next 2 years is Sanremo. I guess the team already has Alaphilippe as the attacking option and that's why he not there in 2023

I know he suffered a lot in that stage in Giro 2021 but he was already fading a bit physically and he is better techincally now than he was back then. Profile wise I think its suits him better than MSR or RVV.
I would agree about strade and MSR but still on the fence about RVV. Any time MSR isn’t a bunch finish he’s suited to it. RVV is more of a toss up, not only are the cobbles more technical for him but his light weight doesn’t help either.

I think he has an order of magnitude greater chance to ever win Sanremo than to win Roubaix.
I don’t know about an order of magnitude, but a good argument could be made for Roubaix.

But MSR…I don’t see the scenario, ever. Skill can be gained, speed cannot, so I’d rate Roubaix highly unlikely but more likely than MSR. But yeah, both quite unlikely, where I think he may well win RVV before it’s all said and done.

I could see him trying them later in his career, especially RVV.
Not too long ago we have had Vincenzo Nibali being very good in MSR. Granted, he was a much better descender than Evenepoel, but otherwise I don't think he was better-suited to the race than Evenepoel.

We have also seen that same Nibali, as well as Valverde and Pogacar showcase that races like RVV can be contested by determined GC men. Alaphilippe himself did so too and he is not that much bigger than Evenepoel (Julian is 173 cm and 62 kg, according to Wikipedia).

The Ronde van Vlaanderen of today is also a bit different from the one before 2012.

Evenepoel, being Belgian, might have a similar motivation that Nibali had towards MSR and give at least a decent set of attempts later on.

That being said, I am not sure what Evenepoel has shown on cobbles so he might just be awful on them.

Roubaix I cannot see him participate in unless it really ends up being a missing piece in his palmares. Or if he fails to replicate his earlier success in future GT's.
If he can show aptitude on cobbles I would not put it beyond him. I cannot see someone being both competitive in Roubaix and in a GT GC during the same season though.

For @Logic-is-your-friend hope you get unbanned soon, Remco thread needs you!

Fmb2POkWQAE6vJ9

Fmb2POpWAAU9w2E

Fmb2POfXoAIq6pP

View: https://twitter.com/SC_ESPN/status/1614058105742184449

I wonder under what circumstances he's even likely to contest Sanremo and De Ronde.

I think it's fairly likely he'll never even try Roubaix.

RVV easy. The way Gilbert won or the way Remco won WC in Australia. Have a bunch split with 70-80 k's to go with some of the bigger guys that missed the split and have your team protect the attack.
MRS is harder. Perhaps if 5-10 guys are together after the descend he can win it cancellara style? But I agree. not likely with his descending skills.

I do see him try Roubaix in 5 years or so but unless he gains some muscle mass he'll bounch from one cobble to another.

Reactions: Monte Serra
I don't think it's a theme for discussion in this thread, I think there is a support forum that is more appropriate for this. Let's just keep it about Remco in here.
There should be a thread for 'things people got banned for' though, stop others making the same mistakes. Of all the forums I've visited this one seems the most trigger happy with banning people.

Or Greg is now a Gran Fondo level rider.

Greg has not been the same since joining AG2R. Felt like a last big pay check and except for a podium in Ronde 2021, the same in Omloop last year, he hasnt been a factor. Last win in a race for him was in 2019.

He will be 38 in May. I can see him retiring at the end of this year or could he already call it a day by the end of this spring? I would not be shocked.

Greg has not been the same since joining AG2R. Felt like a last big pay check and except for a podium in Ronde 2021, the same in Omloop last year, he hasnt been a factor. Last win in a race for him was in 2019.

He will be 38 in May. I can see him retiring at the end of this year or could he already call it a day by the end of this spring? I would not be shocked.

He sounds like he wants to continue a while more.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS