• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 551 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He has more arm veins than usual, that only means other riders have no chance whatsoever

FmSxzvmWABgosAe

And vascular legs

Fmhv2AwWYAAAq6C

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbmjLKyiTYQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbtqdugeyog&t=4s

Remco is a great rider. It is a best with a hugh potential, but he has to control his nervous to be a real champion.

He did the same with me a week ago when I keep his wheel during an aceleration. "Please man, stop", he told me... I know it not nice to have someone to your wheel to concentrate...for me was funny, but not good for him show that behaviour.

I dont have video as this man has, sorry.:coldsweat:

Maybe you are right, but the road is for everybody, and he allowed Remco to train normally. If you have the legs to follow Remco I think is difficult not try. Remco should take these situations with best humour, and more when he use to attack another pros training.
The pavement is also for everybody, but we call it stalking when you follow someone similarly closely.

Maybe you are right, but the road is for everybody, and he allowed Remco to train normally. If you have the legs to follow Remco I think is difficult not try. Remco should take these situations with best humour, and more when he use to attack another pros training.
I don't see what Remco did that was so unbecoming. He didn't yell and curse at the guy, but just said "stop." The guy was on his wheel too long and clearly bothering him, which I can understand, because, on a climb, when one is training alone, one doesn't like someone sitting on one's wheel, period. Let alone the World Champion, who is following a rigorous schedule, and not just some Joe Shmoe out for a ride, but a highly visible public figure. Sure, the roads are public too, but you should know when to back off and not intrude. It's like Mario Cipollini once said to a rider who decided to tag along to his wheel too long during a training ride: "So, if you were at work, would you like someone uninvited coming into your office and watching you?"

I realize being a pro cyclist isn't like going to the office from 9-5, however, common sense should let amatuer cyclists know when to give pros their space while out training, unless otherwise told. And Remco allowed the guy to watch him for several minutes, before saying that's quite enough, leave me alone. I'd imagine the majority of pros would have reacted the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvarani
Remco is a great rider. It is a best with a hugh potential, but he has to control his nervous to be a real champion.

He did the same with me a week ago when I keep his wheel during an aceleration. "Please man, stop", he told me... I know it not nice to have someone to your wheel to concentrate...for me was funny, but not good for him show that behaviour.

I dont have video as this man has, sorry.:coldsweat:

I see both sides. Common courtesy is to not follow a rider and this has to be constant for him so it’s a huge annoyance. If I ever saw a “celebrity” I’d make a point to give them their space. But, the fans are the only reason he’s able to be riding a bike for a living in the first place. They pay the bills of his sponsors and team.

That's not the interesting question. Rather, would you consider it creepy? Over the line? Invasion of privacy and illegitimate disturbance of work?

The idiots on the road are clearly disturbing the work of Evenepoel.

Obviously but if you're riding a bike you're doing the same activity as the pro and it's not illegal - it's even normal - to try to follow someone who rides past you. But I do understand why it's annoying, especially if it happens often (I haven't seen the video by the way).

I don't think anybody did anything wrong here. The guy had some fun trying to keep Remco pace for a bit. Remco allowed him to do that. After a while, Remco asked him to stop and the guy did as he was asked.

Anybody who has been training on roads where a lot of riders train knows that this kind of thing happens a lot. Pros are likely used to strong amateurs trying to hold their wheels whilst training.

I don't think anybody did anything wrong here. The guy had some fun trying to keep Remco pace for a bit. Remco allowed him to do that. After a while, Remco asked him to stop and the guy did as he was asked.

Anybody who has been training on roads where a lot of riders train knows that this kind of thing happens a lot. Pros are likely used to strong amateurs trying to hold their wheels whilst training.
So you would follow ScarJo until the moment she told you to stop?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
It may not be just annoying to have somebody suck your wheel for a long time. Risk of a collision increases. Also, if you are doing interval training as a pro, you probably want to analyse power data to check your performance and progress. A rider drafting has also an impact on the person in front. It's minor but data is everything these days so I can imagine that pro's want to have control over the conditions as much as possible.

If I were following ScarJo or any other celebrity around, I'd at least have the courtesy to not film it/put it online. I once saw a well-known Danish handball player at a public pool, but I saw no reason for me to take pictures of his behind (granted, I would probably also have been expelled if I had tried).

Reactions: yaco

TRENDING THREADS