• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Return of Omerta

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
No bio-passports, no questioning journos and the riders are pretty quiet as well.

My prediction is that Garmin and Colombia won't do as well as last year. I hope I'm wrong and the results that the french riders are getting gives some hope, but I bet they get a kicking come the tour

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jarvis said:
No bio-passports, no questioning journos and the riders are pretty quiet as well.

My prediction is that Garmin and Colombia won't do as well as last year. I hope I'm wrong and the results that the french riders are getting gives some hope, but I bet they get a kicking come the tour

It is not just omerta. By refusing to test the 2008 Giro and 2007 TdF samples for CERA, the UCI signalled that dopers will be protected at all cost. We are going back to 1997. Garmin does not stand a chance at a GT. Wiggins found that out at P-N.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Non Grimpeur said:
I am more optimistic. I think that ASO and the French police will have a field day at this year's TDF.

One can only hope! Unfortunately I think some of our favorites may go down. (and no, I don't mean LA) :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cody251 said:
Since when is Wiggins a GC threat, a superb climber or the guy Garmin would pick to lead a GT? :confused:

Wiggins found out that the doping has been kicked up a notch over the last couple of years. When a guy who weighs a buck thirty can beat the 170lb two time and reigning Olympic 4Km individual pursuit champion on a course like that then anyone with more than two brain cells knows what is up. Wiggins knew what was up. Evans knew what was up. Sean Kelly knew what was up.

This year we will see doping like we have not seen since Pantani won the Tour.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tom Morris said:

So are you saying they will get busted thus proving doping or because of assumptions made from they're actions mean they must be doping? :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I also find it curious how Contador could win that Prologue. I think 7 seconds is a large amount to lose by for Wiggins to lose by as well.
Sure he might have had a great Prologue but it kinda reminds me of how Schumacher won two TT's in the TdF last year....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tom Morris said:
Wiggins found out that the doping has been kicked up a notch over the last couple of years. When a guy who weighs a buck thirty can beat the 170lb two time and reigning Olympic 4Km individual pursuit champion on a course like that then anyone with more than two brain cells knows what is up. Wiggins knew what was up. Evans knew what was up. Sean Kelly knew what was up.

So to summarize what you said... Wiggins lost a prologue (9.3km), but because he is the reigning individual pursuit 4km (track/indoor) Olympic Champion he actually should have won, and which leads you to the conclusion that the one who actually won, doped. So if I thought that the one who came in second at the olympic pursuit shoudl have actually won, I can faithfully assume Wiggins doped...

Wow, why they even went ahead with the prologue, is beyond me. It's clear that the winner was already known!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tom Morris said:
It is not just omerta. By refusing to test the 2008 Giro and 2007 TdF samples for CERA, the UCI signalled that dopers will be protected at all cost.

McQ's refusal to test the Giro samples was what convinced me beyond any doubt that he has some special interest in "A.C." (to use proper O.P. terminology) keeping out of trouble.

And who can forget when McQuaid said:
"I know Contador and the people around him and I know that he is a clean and honest rider."

Tom Morris said:

I hope you know that Leipheimer is of similar weight and dimensions as the Contador. Is he also suspect? What makes you think that Wiggins is beyond reproach? With the advanced cheaters usually a year ahead of the testing being done how can anyone be trusted.

I just watch and enjoy as entertainment.

Mr.DNA said:
McQ's refusal to test the Giro samples was what convinced me beyond any doubt that he has some special interest in "A.C." (to use proper O.P. terminology) keeping out of trouble.

And who can forget when McQuaid said:
"I know Contador and the people around him and I know that he is a clean and honest rider."

That premise is really as far fetched as it goes. What would McQuaid have to gain in risking his own credibility by being involved in such a cover up that if exposed would ruin him and the sport as a whole?

BrandonT said:
I also find it curious how Contador could win that Prologue. I think 7 seconds is a large amount to lose by for Wiggins to lose by as well.
Sure he might have had a great Prologue but it kinda reminds me of how Schumacher won two TT's in the TdF last year....

Most of the posters that are disputing the results of the P-N prologue seem to be implying that Contador has no prior record of success in ITT's. At his young age he's has more victories in road races against the clock than Wiggins. Wiggins hasn't really been this dominant force in ITT's and time trials in his efforts away from the track so why the surprise? It's not like Contador beat Cancellara.

Angliru said:
That premise is really as far fetched as it goes. What would McQuaid have to gain in risking his own credibility by being involved in such a cover up that if exposed would ruin him and the sport as a whole?

That is the $64K question. Why would the UCI take $500K under the table from Armstrong? Why did they allow Armstrong to backdate a TUE to explain a positive for corticosteroids? Why did McQuaid guarantee Contador was clean even though he had come out of a teamwide doping program and Werner Franke said the OP documents show that Contador was involved? Why did McQuaid refuse to test the 2008 Giro samples for CERA? Why did McQuaid call Floyd Landis and tell him that he knew he was not doing anything that all the others were doing? Why has the UCI targeted some teams for dope testing (Astana and Phonak) and other teams appear to be left alone? It goes on and on.

I don't know the answer but it smells like corruption.

Does a month go by that is free of McQuaid doing or saying something that makes you think, "WTF!"? I don't think it does. This guy sticks his foot in his mouth at every opportunity.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
"Remember under his watch everyone was clean"
Don't be so naief Angliru. Doping hunters will always be one step behind too users. That's just a fact. And where the money is (US Postal) there the knowledge and the right contacts to make a doping system work and kept it quiet. Nowadays I hope and (must) belief things got beter and there's somekind of new mentality in the peleton. But at the end of the 90's, beginning of the 00's (Armstrongs years), before the Fuentes case, Landis case, Rasmussen, Ricco, Vino,..... I sincerly doubt that mister Angliru.

aH-Jaa said:
"Remember under his watch everyone was clean"
Don't be so naief Angliru. Doping hunters will always be one step behind too users. That's just a fact. And where the money is (US Postal) there the knowledge and the right contacts to make a doping system work and kept it quiet. Nowadays I hope and (must) belief things got beter and there's somekind of new mentality in the peleton. But at the end of the 90's, beginning of the 00's (Armstrongs years), before the Fuentes case, Landis case, Rasmussen, Ricco, Vino,..... I sincerly doubt that mister Angliru.

Apparently the sarcasm in my post wasn't as obvious as I intended.

Also don't let the photo of the skeleton like Tyler Hamilton in my avatar give the impression that I am a fan of his. He is my LEAST favorite rider of all time.

I can't believe people are so surprised at Contadors time trial in P-N. Before the race when I was going though the start list to see what type of competion Gustav Larsson would have in the time trial the only real threat I could find was Contador. Unfortunately Larsson slipped and fell on the wet road so then it was no surprise to me at all that Contador won.

He's proven time and time again that he is a solid time trialer.

But Contador won a PROLOGUE. That's a race usually dominated by big guys, not scrawny climber types.

Maybe he's been working his **** off in the TT. I don't know. It's just the kind of result that makes me wonder.

It wasn't actaully a prologue though. 9.3 km is just long enough to take the edge away from the strong sprinter type guys and become slighlty more in favor of stamina. Had the race been half the distance then ya Wiggins would probably have more of an edge.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sadly there is an instinctive reaction amongst many fans that when they see a surprisingly good performance, they start to ask questions. Fair enough, it's the "fool me once = shame on you, fool me twice = shame on me" gambit, followers of pro cycling have seen great performances - think Schumacher or Ricco for recent examples - that soon get exposed as frauds.

Contador doesn't help himself by avoiding questions about Puerto or how Manolo Saiz operated. His name was on several documents seized by Spanish police.

Sadly some riders have to prove themselves innocent.

TRENDING THREADS