• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The rider's tribute ride to a colleague and friend: Giro d'Italia Stage 4

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I must say that Harmon and Kelly are doing a superb job, on such a difficult occasion.
The are applying a measured perspective towards all the emotive issues that tend to be raised, after such a tragedy.

I agree, Like i mentioned earlier, a very difficult job today.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
I'm watching in much the same spirit.

I watch these guys and love it when the going is good. I feel like my part of the deal is to also watch when they are taking part in a memorial procession. That way we can all honour Wouter Weylandt together.

I cannot watch the feed as I am at work - but I plan to watch the entire stage when I get home. So far it sounds as if is a fitting tribute to a sad loss.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
My Italian is not very good, but I can tell that at several points on Rai today they have been discussing the question that was raised yesterday about the images of Weylandt shortly after his crash that were broadcast.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
My Italian is not very good, but I can tell that at several points on Rai today they have been discussing the question that was raised yesterday about the images of Weylandt shortly after his crash that were broadcast.

Sadly Italians have been inundated with that type imagery due to the criminal elements that pervade in some sections of Italian society. They seem to accept the paparazzi element in it all and was surprised to see how little space they gave Wouter's partner and family. I thought they overstepped the mark, but they do it regularly.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Rubertow said:
I cannot watch the feed as I am at work - but I plan to watch the entire stage when I get home. So far it sounds as if is a fitting tribute to a sad loss.

+1 I'm also at work but from all the comments made here it sounds a very dignified and fitting tribute by both the riders and fans along the route.

If you think that's bad you should see the treatment most of the Spanish media is giving to this story. It's sickening.

Anyway, somehow it doesn't look right for the peloton to be riding at a relatively fast pace. It almost looks like any normal stage.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Boardslide said:
+1 I'm also at work but from all the comments made here it sounds a very dignified and fitting tribute by both the riders and fans along the route.

Yes, it is. And is is poignant that there is so much beauty along the route - the greenery of living trees, the inviting beach, the endless ocean. "Life goes on." Sometimes that is a brutal truth, sometimes a hopeful one.

A very moving tribute indeed today.

A

Anonymous

Benotti69 said:
Sadly Italians have been inundated with that type imagery due to the criminal elements that pervade in some sections of Italian society. They seem to accept the paparazzi element in it all and was surprised to see how little space they gave Wouter's partner and family. I thought they overstepped the mark, but they do it regularly.

todays gazetta is majorly distressing. Those images would never be allowed on the front page of a newspaper in britain.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
todays gazetta is majorly distressing. Those images would never be allowed on the front page of a newspaper in britain.

and they would not be published that big inside either. Not nice to see

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I respect anyone rider's personal way to deal with this, and I certainly can understand any rider or team who can't face riding on.

But at the same time I hope that the riders that carry on will pay Wouter tribute by making this one Giro to remember for all the good reasons, as well as the bad ones, which including some great racing.

Today is certainly showing the riders, teams, spectators, and the wider circus at their best. After yesterday, it is good see inspiring visuals again.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Different societies have differing ideas (and laws) about what is appropriate and respectful. I once saw footage of earthquake victims in Indonesia that shocked me similarly.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
I respect anyone rider's personal way to deal with this, and I certainly can understand any rider or team who can't face riding on.

But at the same time I hope that the riders that carry on will pay Wouter tribute by making this one Giro to remember for all the good reasons, as well as the bad ones, which including some great racing.

Today is certainly showing the riders, teams, spectators, and the wider circus at their best. After yesterday, it is good see inspiring visuals again.

after this sad incident, this giro will be remembered for its greatness, just wait and see with all thos mountains and the strade bianche stage tomorrow.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
Different societies have differing ideas (and laws) about what is appropriate and respectful. I once saw footage of earthquake victims in Indonesia that shocked me similarly.

The photos of saddam husseins sons dead bodies was terrible.

Although proof that crashes happen, even when riding not-stressed at a low speed...

I don't know if this saying excists in English: "Een ongeluk zit in een klein hoekje"
Which literally means "an accident is sitting in a every little corner". But a more proper translation would be "accidents can happen everywhere"

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Although proof that crashes happen, even when riding not-stressed at a low speed...

I don't know if this saying excists in English: "Een ongeluk zit in een klein hoekje"
Which literally means "an accident is sitting in a every little corner". But a more proper translation would be "accidents can happen everywhere"

yea i agree crashes are part and parcel of cycling

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Where are the pics in the gazetta? Sorry, the commentators are talking about them - mentioned here - is the only place to see them if you are holding the paper? Thanks.