• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia isn't under total lock down (more partial) but flights are few and far between. Also, on arrival you have to complete 2 weeks of total self isolation, which probably wouldn't be easy with a 2 year old.

For all we know he cracked, went to get groceries or similar and pulled over for a few minutes to clear the head. Sure, Dennis can be a jerk, but he's also openly admitted to having some mental health issues as well. Not the best way to sort it, but humans make mistakes.
There's at least three separate mistakes here. Breaking the lockdown restrictions, making a public post about it, and talking about the lockdown the way he did in that post. Yeah, expressing your utter disdain for the quarantine in one of the most severely affected countries and with the strictest lockdown restrictions, posting a pic from inside your Porsche or whatever fancy car he has while people living in the same country (many of them also suffering from mental health issues) are stuck in small apartments, will not go down well. That's not on his mental health.

No surprise that Dennis is struggling with his past history - You can ride your bike in Australia but some states have tighter restrictions.

Australia isn't under total lock down (more partial) but flights are few and far between. Also, on arrival you have to complete 2 weeks of total self isolation, which probably wouldn't be easy with a 2 year old.

For all we know he cracked, went to get groceries or similar and pulled over for a few minutes to clear the head. Sure, Dennis can be a jerk, but he's also openly admitted to having some mental health issues as well. Not the best way to sort it, but humans make mistakes.

Rohan Dennis currently resides in Spain, one of the countries hit the hardest by the virus.

There's at least three separate mistakes here. Breaking the lockdown restrictions, making a public post about it, and talking about the lockdown the way he did in that post. Yeah, expressing your utter disdain for the quarantine in one of the most severely affected countries and with the strictest lockdown restrictions, posting a pic from inside your Porsche or whatever fancy car he has while people living in the same country (many of them also suffering from mental health issues) are stuck in small apartments, will not go down well. That's not on his mental health.
I certainly don't agree with what Dennis has done, or how he has expressed himself while doing it. Just saying that things aren't necessarily straightforward.

I can certainly understand his frustration. However, there are smarter ways to express your frustration about something than go out breaking the rules. Besides, lots of riders have been speaking about how frustrating it is, they've just... managed to find something positive.

Well... is it really so much better to do it like Gilbert (and I guess he's not the only one sneaking out) and go outside to train and then go like "I totally understand we have to respect the rules, we have to be role models..." when they are caught? Dennis does not appear like the most likeable person, but intuitively I prefer people to be straight about their thoughts and feelings, even if it's silly thoughts and feelings. For me it's easier to deal with that.

Well... is it really so much better to do it like Gilbert (and I guess he's not the only one sneaking out) and go outside to train and then go like "I totally understand we have to respect the rules, we have to be role models..." when they are caught? Dennis does not appear like the most likeable person, but intuitively I prefer people to be straight about their thoughts and feelings, even if it's silly thoughts and feelings. For me it's easier to deal with that.

Maybe they were both kind of stupid.

Reactions: 42x16ss
I mean, Dennis will be Dennis.

But to post on the same day that his teammate GT raisies 325k pounds for the NHS by training for 36 hours indoors...

And this is Ineos's fault. They rewarded RD for bad behavior by signing him last year.

Disagree with your last sentence, If Ineos didn’t sign him, another team would have.

But they do have the responsibility of helping Dennis, which I’m sure started by getting him to shut down his social media pages after backlash.

Thinking that not letting people do sports outside: reasonable.
Still riding your bike because you won't infect/harm anyone by going on a solo ride: understandable.
Posting about it on social media: pretty stupid/failing the iq test.
Posting about it and posting a picture of yourself in your Porsche while tons of people struggle to make ends meet atm: Being an arrogant idiot with zero self awareness.

Gilbert is a pro cyclist, he is sneaking out to ride his bike. Dennis is going "outside" to ride his Porsche.

Gilbert is breaking the rules, but the fact that he is sneaking out, means he understands very well that what he's doing is wrong. Dennis thinks he's above the law, and feels the need to "show off" his bad behavior, as if he thinks rules don't apply to him. A slap in the face of thousands of people who are REALLY affected by the virus.

Boasting about it on social media, means inciting others. This is plain and simple "hillbilly-***-yeah" behavior that sets a horrible example.

So is it really so much better what Gilbert does? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gilbert is a pro cyclist, he is sneaking out to ride his bike. Dennis is going "outside" to ride his Porsche.

Gilbert is breaking the rules, but the fact that he is sneaking out, means he understands very well that what he's doing is wrong. Dennis thinks he's above the law, and feels the need to "show off" his bad behavior, as if he thinks rules don't apply to him. A slap in the face of thousands of people who are REALLY affected by the virus.

Boasting about it on social media, means inciting others. This is plain and simple "hillbilly-***-yeah" behavior that sets a horrible example.

So is it really so much better what Gilbert does? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Okay, I understood that picture in another way. Not like "me in my porsche" but just "I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to get out". But I don't know the rest of his social media accounts or anything, it was just my immediate reaction.

Disagree with your last sentence, If Ineos didn’t sign him, another team would have.

But they do have the responsibility of helping Dennis, which I’m sure started by getting him to shut down his social media pages after backlash.

True enough, he'd have been a selfish jerk on any time he'd gone to. Although Ineos being the 800-pound gorilla of the WT makes it particularly galling that they signed him.

Reactions: Pricey_sky
Even so, there were smarter ways of saying what he said, the responses were doubling down on the stupid of it.

The other thing is that in Belgium, outdoor exercise is still permitted within certain bounds. I'm not sure how it's being policed, but Gilbert can actually do some kind of training but was going egregiously over the top with what he was trying to get away with; Dennis is breaking the quarantine regs just by going out there - and then his subsequent posts make it clear that he fully intends to flout the rules. If he'd said something to follow up about cabin fever and the like and that cooping people up without even the freedom for some outdoor exercise for mental and physical wellbeing is potentially just as harmful in the long run it might still have been dumb but would be viewed more sympathetically.

As a comparison of what their activities are in the scale of quaranting-breaking as an offence, Gilbert is doing something a bit like Ale-Jet's ridiculous salbutamol positive where he had a TUE but was countless times over the limit of what was allowed within it, Dennis is doing the equivalent of videoing himself injecting EPO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS