• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We apparently have 6 spots which was a bit of a surprise to me
You’d like to see them put a full-strength lineup in, Bennett, Roche, Martin, Dunbar, Healy + AN Other. And ride with a bit of coordination to try and have Martin/Dunbar still available and protected towards the end, rather than wasting someone in the break which nobody will expect us to chase anyway.

It would ultimately only turn the disappointment of reading “only Ben Healy completed the race, finishing in the bunch 12 minutes behind the new champion from a country with less starters than us” on Stickybottle next day from resigned reality to deflating defeat.

You’d like to see them put a full-strength lineup in, Bennett, Roche, Martin, Dunbar, Healy + AN Other. And ride with a bit of coordination to try and have Martin/Dunbar still available and protected towards the end, rather than wasting someone in the break which nobody will expect us to chase anyway.

It would ultimately only turn the disappointment of reading “only Ben Healy completed the race, finishing in the bunch 12 minutes behind the new champion from a country with less starters than us” on Stickybottle next day from resigned reality to deflating defeat.
Recently we have been doing a little better and I think that is down to Nico and Dan being such a good team and good leaders. I have been ripped apart before for questioning the Irish set up but I stand by my opinion that we have been woeful tactically for a long time and CI don't seem to care

Reactions: Sandisfan
If my research is correct, it's been 31 years since a top 20 place for Ireland at the WC. Sean Kelly obviously.
Yeah, Dan and Nico’s best results are 26th in different years. Bennett and Deignan have a 40th place each, and a lot of dnfs. I mean, you’d give Martin a pass for not doing well in Austria on a course that suited him, when his wife had just given birth to twins, but overall it’s just hard to explain the constant lack of results. And this in an era when Sagan can win 3 titles riding virtually solo.

It’s not that surprising, it just means that Bennett successfully thwarted Lefevere’s plan to cut his pay. If benching Bennett doesn’t save him money, Lefevere will get whatever use he can out of him. In this case he’s just being used to pad out a squad. I would guess that he’s been instructed very firmly that he’s not to sprint.

Whaha Lefevre what a fail once again.

Bennett should be like this on the startpodium friday:

bil-sam-balls.jpg

So Bennett has to do Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen tomorrow and Gooikse Piil on Sunday.

I didn‘t know what Levevere meant with Vichte, so I had a closer look: Bennett has to ride „Textielprijs Vichte“ next Monday, a UCI National Elite race (one category below 1.1) in Belgium.

i didn’t even know WT teams were allowed to ride races at that level. Isn’t National Elite two steps below .1? And one step below a .2?

If he is somewhat healthy I think it's very hard to overwork him with the few races that are left. The races so far on his calender aren't the hardest either.
I don’t know how many Quickstep are going to but there is 47 pro races left. On PCS they’re doing 11 so far. Of course he could ride them at a snails pace or abandon but that’d tired anyone out with the transfers. Especially when your body isn’t used to it.

I... think it's because those races are not actually UCI races, then UCI doesn't get a say in who's allowed to race.

Non-ranking does not mean non-UCI. Pro kermesses under the Belgian federation are open to anyone with a Conti licence or above (included WT). Most pros based in Belgium are riding pro kermesses here and there throughout the year - although there seems to be fewer than in previous years on the calendar, presumably covid inpact still.

Eg https://cycling.vlaanderen//competitie/uitslagen/detail?date=2021-09-09&key=2999

https://cycling.vlaanderen/competitie/uitslagen/detail

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS