• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Schlecks - Gracious in Defeat

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I found Frank and Andy's talking themselves up during the Tour, and their Team's talking them up a bit unbearable.

If Andy or Frank had won, I would have been disappointed for Cadel, but they would have deserved it.

But I think the way a person responds to defeat shows their character. And full marks to Andy and Frank - I'm more impressed by them now, than by their performance during the Tour.

From Andy's twitter:

&quot said:
Congarts (sic) to Cadel to you deserve that! Happy for you and your team BMC!its been a great battle looking forward to next year all ready!!!

From Frank's:
&quot said:
Congrats to Cadel Evans.the best Won (sic).@andy_schleck and me are proud to be on the podium.thx to @leopardtrek

Very magnanimous. Congrats to two brothers who are obviously really close, and to a team that has enough esteem for them to bury themselves for three weeks in the hope of victory.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I really believe that they are nice people. I dont agree with all the hate of the schlecks in the forum. I wouldnt mind it if they win the tdf next year.

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
mickkk,

mickkk said:
Not much you can say when you get flogged, anything else would have made them both even more unpopular.

I get your point. But Andy actually expresses that he's happy for Cadel in his tweet. If he was thinking about popularity, then all he needed to do was say 'congrats' and nothing more - job done.

He's got my respect.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
It is not specially gracious to publish in twitter. It is silly to say it is a good thing being 2nd and 3rd when a week ago they said that was not at all a good situation (they said 1st and 20nd was the goal). They just said the obvious and politically correct ("congrats mate!"), nothing really gracious

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Not taking away from the face that they were gracious but I don't think it's something that should be surprising or newsworthy, it's simple sportsmanship and should be expected.

mickkk said:
Not much you can say when you get flogged, anything else would have made them both even more unpopular.

NickBVK said:
Not taking away from the face that they were gracious but I don't think it's something that should be surprising or newsworthy, it's simple sportsmanship and should be expected.

I guess the point is - they have never displayed even this limited PC stuff before.

There has always been simply an excuse why they lost.

from here:
Schleck, when asked about the commanding performance put in by Cadel Evans, said he didn't want to talk about the Australian.

"We knew he was very strong, but to be honest, I have big respect for him, but I'm more concerned about myself right now. I'm happy and we can be satisfied and I don't want to talk about Cadel."
Yes, indeed, extraordinarily gracious and sporting. :rolleyes:

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The Schleck Hate Thread

The Schleck hate thread is the other one! Just in case some people here were confused. :rolleyes:

I think the Schlecks' riding has shown a lot of courage this Tour, and they finished it off with good sportsmanship.

There's a distinct lack of sportsmanship in sport generally, and cycling has become less sporting over the years (and more sporting, given that fewer pros are doping).

It's worth celebrating good sportsmanship, rather than just hating or criticising.

greenedge said:
They seemed disappointed but gracious in defeat.
Yep, no whining etc. just disappointment but accepting it without a bad word.

Although on a short interview for dutch television it was quite clear that Frank was giving political correct answers when he was asked what he felt. He was like: "i'm very happy, we are both on the podium, yes i'm very happy". All with a face clearly very unhappy that they just lost the tdf. :D

But hey, a tough situation to be in and tbh with how the schlecks normally respond imo this was way better then i expected.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
After the last stage Andy was interviewed for danish tv. He said that he didn't mind coming in second this year as much as he did last year, because he knew that Evans was a stronger rider than him. Implying that Contador didn't deserve to win last year. Gracious I think not.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
After the last stage Andy was interviewed for danish tv. He said that he didn't mind coming in second this year as much as he did last year, because he knew that Evans was a stronger rider than him. Implying that Contador didn't deserve to win last year. Gracious I think not.

does that mean chaingate is still in Andy's head :p

Special_oz_ed said:
I found Frank and Andy's talking themselves up during the Tour, and their Team's talking them up a bit unbearable.

If Andy or Frank had won, I would have been disappointed for Cadel, but they would have deserved it.

But I think the way a person responds to defeat shows their character. And full marks to Andy and Frank - I'm more impressed by them now, than by their performance during the Tour.

From Andy's twitter:

From Frank's:

Very magnanimous. Congrats to two brothers who are obviously really close, and to a team that has enough esteem for them to bury themselves for three weeks in the hope of victory.
It was a stupid tweet. How can you think anything from that?

TRENDING THREADS