• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The start of top tube seated descending?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I was watching some old TdF videos last night and the downhill style stuck out as quite different. Although as the riders were generally more stretched out with longer top tubes, instead of longer stems and seat tubes, that explained much of the difference.

But then I thought about the sitting on the top tube we see often now. I know a lot of guys still do stay on the saddle while descending but there are a good number sitting on the top tube too. Who started that trend? What year was it?

ratty

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sagan 2011

30508.jpg

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well I have been working my way through this youtube channel this week, mid 90s stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcBtRBURJ4

It was the 94 stuff last night that got me thinking.
S14 has an interview with Didi Senft, well not really an iterview since Gary Imlach has no German and Didi has no English :)
S15 has some great shots of the steel frame geometry, they are really stretched out flat, about 15 min in.

ratty

i know about this article which goes indepth on the aero tuck. It shows a picture without top tube descending from 2001. I think top tube descending came around as a result of either the frame geometry / setup changing or just one guy having the balls to do it and the rest following suit.

aero-tuck-md.jpg

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
riders have been doing that forever, I did it in the 80's. it was more of a weight forward, hands together on the tops of the bars. all of your body was in front of the saddle tip, there was just a higher top tube usually. I'm very skinny and flexible, always rode a frame that was too small with an extended seat post so it was easy for me to get in that position on straight descents. I've reached 100 kph coming down Crenshaw in Palos Verdes. the old road bikes had more relaxed geometry and a high quality columbus tube frame won't jitter or wobble like a lot of new carbon bikes will. the thing that sucked was no clip in pedals so when you crashed, your feet did not come out of the double Binda toe clip straps.