• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Symbolic Politics of Pat McQuaid

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
UCI Corruption

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
...That list of committee members is just laughable. Korea, Egypt, Unified Arabic or what it is called, UK, Tunesia, USA, Russia, Danmark, Portugal and last but not least Czechia: real cycling nations.
Where is the Kenian representative, seems he is the expert on bilharzia.

From http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=7636

Interview with Brad McGee..

McGee:Look at the voting system itself; it’s very IOC. I don’t know the numbers, but if you look at how much weight countries like Spain, France and Italy have compared to ‘exotic’ regions in South America and the Asian countries, it’s ridiculous. We all know that cycling is a European sport. I think everyone agrees that it’s great to see the globalisation – the UCI has done a good job there – but you’ve got to understand what was the real agenda behind all that?
“By globalising the sport,they always spread the votes around the world when it comes to electing the president. So, suddenly the vote of these leaders of the ‘exotic’ areas becomes just as important – if not more important – than traditional countries like France, Italy and Spain. And it’s fair to say they might have a bit more of an idea of what what’s important for the sport going forward.”

RIDE: It brings those other countries into the picture and gives them a good dose of power.
McGee: “Exactly, and that’s an easy sell from the UCI to bring them in. I think that needs to be seriously looked at.

Brian Cookson anyone ??

May 11, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
.....................C'mon already. The fat pedal straps provide most of the aero benefit of shoe covers by covering much of the shoe's upper / buckles - and are definitely not required when we have clip in systems.

Straps do a couple of things in track racing - prevent accidental foot release from clipless pedals (it does happen) - and prevents gapping between the foot and the shoe. That is why some track riders still use old syle toeclips and toestraps.

The problem with older syle pedals is that they can contact the bank track surface which is disconcerting. The pedals I used to use were worn down on the right becsause of track contact. Clipless pedals provide more clearance (I do not see any evidence of track contact on my clipless pedals).

But I do agree with you that the UCI rules are often hypertechnical and over zealous.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
All this thread has been is a series of assumptions and assertions to make racially motivated comments backed by no evidence.
This is pathetic. How to lose an argument 101. Think you can really scrape the bottom of the barrel and manage to fit Hitler in the thread too?

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
One thing that occurs to me, I don't really follow other Olympic sports, do other sports have the same issues with WADA that UCI seems to have? Its telling to me that UCI has been on the outs with WADA since before day one. Its just been a head butting conflict for since WADA's inception.

D-Queued said:
There is nothing wrong with that.

Like it or not, it just isn't how the sport of cycling works.

My point (and that of others) is that there is an enormous difference between egalitarian ideals and how the UCI actually functions.

This thread is about the symbolic politics of McQuaid. The representation on the UCI Committee underscores the disparity between the politics and the reality. And that disparity underscores how Phat may be well able to keep hold on his position when he has been a complete disaster as the sport's leader.

You or I may not like the reality, but we should not be ignorant of it.

Dave.

To me, the continued retention of McBruggen itself is itself symbol. It's the UCI saying "We are what we are. F**k you if you don't like it." The UCI may be going into hunker down mode.

Why is Clinging On ??

Race Radio@TheRaceRadio
really Pat..... it is just going to get worse. Time to walk away and spend some time on the beach. Someplace warm

Race Radio@TheRaceRadio

.......Enjoy your retirement Pat

So Why is he clinging on like his life depended on it ?? as Race Radio asks 'why doesnt he just walk away ???

Because theres a troughfull of fraud in his office thats why. If he walks away he leaves the fraud squad free to delve into his past at the UCI.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Because he has created a massive family business and associated dependencies that are at stake with his departure.

Good news is that the train has left the station a fair while ago. It may take a few more weeks/months but Pat & Hein's days are gone. The IOC letter was a desperate final move (after the IC debacle) and will alienate IOC members more. All this letter has done is to draw public attention to the fact that other sports may have a similar doping and corruption problem; something IOC has tried to avoid to become associated with as a fall out from the LA saga.

Nice reflection here also: http://road.cc/content/news/75221-pat-mcquaid-writes-all-ioc-members-seek-support-uci-battle-wada

A T&R is also very much problematic for Pat. It is just never going to be untainted under his leadership and therefore way too big a liability for other sports/IOC. Risk of further damage to other sport way too big.

So the story is evolving nicely. Question now really is one of succession planning and a new focus for a new UCI.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
So Why is he clinging on like his life depended on it ?? as Race Radio asks 'why doesnt he just walk away ???

Because theres a troughfull of fraud in his office thats why. If he walks away he leaves the fraud squad free to delve into his past at the UCI.

RR really teasing us there. :D

From Pat's letter to IOC:
"I very much hope that WADA will now desist from continuing the current undignified war of words via the media and sit down with us in a spirit of cooperation and partnership"
Nice way of saying he hopes WADA turns a blind eye to his fraud, lies, and corruption.

TRENDING THREADS