• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The toughness of the Giro is an RCS policy, not Zomegnan's

Reading some articles about Le Tour on La Gazzetta Dello Sport this fact came to my mind.
It really seems to me that the crazy hard routes of these year's Giro are not a Zomegnan's idea at all (even though he clearly agrees with that). I feel relieved... RCS itself wants a hard parcour (at least much harder than the tdf's one). This means that the firing of AZ won't actually affect the hardest Grand Tour of the calendar (well, probably we'll see less transfers).
Dunno if this "news" are actually enough to start a thread upon them, but personally I highly rate them :D The rumours about AZ's firing made me really worry

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Reading some articles about Le Tour on La Gazzetta Dello Sport this fact came to my mind.
It really seems to me that the crazy hard routes of these year's Giro are not a Zomegnan's idea at all (even though he clearly agrees with that). I feel relieved... RCS itself wants a hard parcour (at least much harder than the tdf's one). This means that the firing of AZ won't actually affect the hardest Grand Tour of the calendar (well, probably we'll see less transfers).
Dunno if this "news" are actually enough to start a thread upon them, but personally I highly rate them :D The rumours about AZ's firing made me really worry

If that is true then it begs the question, why was he fired?

Parrulo said:
oh this are awesome news if they are true

p.s. this is more then enough for its own thread :p
good :)
note that it's just a strong impression anyway.
Just to make an example... today there was an article that was trying (without much arguments) to blame the tdf easiness for the multiple falls of these days.

Eshnar said:

find it sort of contradictory, since Zomegnan was criticized by the very RCS, due to the extreme difficulties that riders were set to overcome when he was in charge.......

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Wasting $2,000,000 on an appearance fee for an old man who could not even ride over railroad tracks certainly did not help his employment prospects

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I love the idea of a downhill TT but it isn't going to happen.
In 1987 there was one in stage 1b of the Giro from Poggio de San Remo down into San Remo itself.
The hill was not too bad, 4km @3.8% followed by 4km on the flat and even then you had Stephen Roche complaining:

I took care on the descent and put my effort into the last four kilometres which were flat,” Roche said.

Roche criticised the stage despite his success. “Three riders have been killed this year, it seems like they are looking for a fourth,” he said.

I think it is really asking for trouble. shame really.

poggio1.gif

TRENDING THREADS