• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Tour de France, does it really matter?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Se&#241 said:
I know this next Tour is Andy's to lose but... my belief is that the doping Gods will eventually taylor a testing programme finetuned enough to figure out his doping habits and he will also succumb, sooner or later.

Andy speaks English well. He's on the protected rolls.

And even if the TDF were to somehow become unimportant to ASO, the UCI or even the pros themselves, it is hugely important to so many others, that it will be continued no matter what. It's one of those products that is so pervasive, it's not really capable of failing unless sabotaged.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Siriuscat said:
I thought that Pat's Tour of California was the most important race on the calendar.....:rolleyes:

The TdF will always matter it's what brings the droves of three week fans out every year and is the "only" race that exists for people outside Europe. As a race it's been rubbish for 15 years or so but it's still a huge spectacle and for the reasons of bringing non-cycling types into the sport it's a very necessary race.

Actually, quite a lot of people from outside Europe are aware of, interested in and follow, where possible, cycle races other than the Tour de France. Some of those races are even shown on television outside of Europe, even if not live.

I think it matters still due to the tradition & its place in the cycling calender, but for me ITS IMPORTANCE has diminished & the GIRO has become dear to me over the last 10 years, whereas the Tour has turned into a decadent spectacle with nothing exiting or refreshing to offer.

TRENDING THREADS