• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the tour - making of

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I red in a magazine an interview with Jean Louis Pages, the man who actually draw the route of le Tour. He said that 2012 Tour is allready finished, and that his Bberry has folders for 2016 inclusive, and some ideas for 2018.
I had no idea that they are makin the route so early. Also, I tought Proudhome is the one in charge.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Besides the official announcement of Liege as the starting point next year, are there any rumors circling around regarding the route ?
I presume it's going to be the Alps first, and then the Pyrenees, but I'm wondering which mountains or interesting stages are going to be used.

Interesting to see where the focus is this year, now that the Pyrenees was central for 2010 and the Alps this year (though the Pyrenees are more or less as hard as the Alps).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
There are patterns that are usually followed. The race tends to go clockwise one year (Alps then Pyrenees) and anti-clockwise the next. The Grand Depart tends to alternate between a French city and somewhere outside of France. Legendary mountains are seldom used two years in a row, so 2012's route will probably not feature the Galibier and certainly won't feature Alp d'Huez, but might include the Ventoux.

This year there is no prologue and a TTT, so next year there will probably be a prologue and no TTT. I'd guess that because of the lack of time trial kilometres this year we'll see more next year, perhaps a prologue, a mountain TT (haven't had one of those in a while) in the second week and then the traditional long flat-ish TT the day before Paris.

I would really love to see mountain TT next year. There were some rumours about Grenoble-Chamrousse TT for this year (and would have been another long TT somewhere else) but instead there's just TT which starts and ends in Grenoble.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
We haven't had a MTT at the Tour since 2004, I think next year would be great to include one, whereas the Giro should give this a rest for a year or two.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering whether there has been some rumors about the 2012 TdF-route here in the last part of the current Tour - I have only read some English-language sites, which doesn't really have anything particular about the route so far.
Perhaps some have read rumors from other language sites ?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
There are patterns that are usually followed. The race tends to go clockwise one year (Alps then Pyrenees) and anti-clockwise the next. The Grand Depart tends to alternate between a French city and somewhere outside of France. Legendary mountains are seldom used two years in a row, so 2012's route will probably not feature the Galibier and certainly won't feature Alp d'Huez, but might include the Ventoux.

This year there is no prologue and a TTT, so next year there will probably be a prologue and no TTT. I'd guess that because of the lack of time trial kilometres this year we'll see more next year, perhaps a prologue, a mountain TT (haven't had one of those in a while) in the second week and then the traditional long flat-ish TT the day before Paris.

Both Galibier and Alpe d'Huez has featured two years in a row (actually Alpe d'Huez was in the tour every year from 86-92).

Considering it's 50 years since Alpe d'Huez had its debut in the tour I would be surprised if it isn't in the route next year.

TRENDING THREADS