• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The truth behind the climbs of the Tour

Hi all,

I've often heard people discuss what "categories" really are. You know, the term used to describe climbs in races such as Tour de France.

Well, I decided to find out about the "system" behind the categorization - and analyzed all of the 200 climbs of the Tour 2006-2008. You can take a look at the results here:

http://www.danskebjerge.dk/article-categories.htm

Jacob
Webmaster
Danskebjerge.dk

PS: Sorry, no international edition of the entire website as yet.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
"Beyond Category"/Hors Catégorie:
Length: 18.9 km (min: 11.7 km; max: 42.8 km)

The Galibier is just ridiculous.

Actually, most of that is the Lautaret, then a short flat follows, and only the last 8.5 kms are the Galibier.
It seems so long because the Lautaret is usually not categorised (except when it's used alone without the Galibier) because most of it is at 2-4%, so usually it's described as if all of it is the Galibier.

It's quite like when the Blockhaus is usually described as "long" when it's really two climbs in quick succession: the Passo Lanciano and the Blockhaus itself :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A good analysis of the different categories.

They were always fairly subjective - they were based on how difficult it was to get a car up the climb (the Tour was originally sponsored by l'Auto).

bianchigirl said:
A good analysis of the different categories.

They were always fairly subjective - they were based on how difficult it was to get a car up the climb (the Tour was originally sponsored by l'Auto).

Yes, that is what I've heard, too. Do you know a source that can elaborate on this?

By the way, there was one "exception" during the 2006-2008 Tours. Cauberg was rated as a category 3 climb - normally, it would be categorized as a (small) category 4.

Probably, that had something to do with the fact that it was placed at the very end of the stage (and I guess they wanted to dramatize a bit, too...)

/Jacob

Cauberg really hurts at the end of a day. I know.
Lauteret also killed me once. I had taken Alpe d'Huez in stead of lunch on a group ride from Grenoble till past Braincon. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Man, that long straight Lautaret hurts with the sun on your helmet. Even going going it is tiresome.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Actually, most of that is the Lautaret, then a short flat follows, and only the last 8.5 kms are the Galibier.
It seems so long because the Lautaret is usually not categorised (except when it's used alone without the Galibier) because most of it is at 2-4%, so usually it's described as if all of it is the Galibier.

It's quite like when the Blockhaus is usually described as "long" when it's really two climbs in quick succession: the Passo Lanciano and the Blockhaus itself :)

don't forget there are two sides of the Galibier, the other side is the Telegraph and then the Galibier. I did it the Lauteret side this year, first ever climb in the alps. Lauteret was fine then really noticed it when we hit the Galibier