• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"The UCI did not make this public ..."

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know what Team the UCI refering to in this response?:

http://www.velonews.com/article/99666

QUOTE:
"The UCI did not accuse AFLD of giving a preferential treatment to French riders
and to one team in particular.

The leakage of highly confidential anti-doping information from French authorities is well known in anti-doping circles and UCI has experienced this for many years. This may be a structural deficiency in that AFLD encompasses both the testing department and the laboratory"
END QUOTE

The AFLD has yet to respond, and according to their website:

http://www.afld.fr/actualites.php#99

QUOTE google translator
The AFLD reserve its comments on the responses of the UCI

The AFLD took note of the responses of the UCI in its report on the Tour
France in 2009.

It will provide detailed comments on the responses of the UCI Minister
responsible for sport, the UCI and WADA. Until then, it
abstain from public comment on these issues
END QUOTE

A

Anonymous

hmm.. the afld do seem to have a very need to know relationship with the press dont they..

A

Anonymous

even tho the quote says 'french riders... one team in particular", i think they are still referring to Astana.

I don't think the 'french riders' part indicates a french team. the article seems a bit all over the place. sometimes they mention french riders, sometimes they mention astana in the same sentence. of course, no french riders are on astana, so i didnt read much into your quote, and didn't think they were indicating a french team, i think they meant Astana.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Surely Polish you are not that dense you cannot answer your own question? The answer if it were any more obvious it would smack you on your forehead.

I'll give you a hint, the team has been removed mid TdF in a previous rendition of the race. "One team in particular," we all know who Bordry was mentioning were favoured by the UCI. Why drag up yet again old news? Are you that bored you have nothing better to do?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Obstinance is the Best Policy

Galic Ho said:
Surely Polish you are not that dense you cannot answer your own question? The answer if it were any more obvious it would smack you on your forehead.

I'll give you a hint, the team has been removed mid TdF in a previous rendition of the race. "One team in particular," we all know who Bordry was mentioning were favoured by the UCI. Why drag up yet again old news? Are you that bored you have nothing better to do?

Galic, you need to get up to speed on the UCI - AFLD tit for tat!

Let me recap....

The AFLD accuses the UCI of giving preferential treatment to Astana.

The UCI fires back and accuses the AFLD of its OWN preferential treatment - towards the mystery French team of my inquiry

The AFLD is currently "abstaining from comment", per their website, but you know, Inspector Boudry cannot abstain for too long! He is going to blow!

So my original question still stands - which team is the AFLD accused of coddling. It is not Astana silly. You know, you may need to get out of the "deep end of the pool" which is the Clinic. Maybe go over to the Touring Forum. The Clinic is for Super-Serious topics and it is best if you have done your Homework.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
More *** posturing by the UCI

Of course Astana would be tested more then any of the French teams. They had three riders in the top 10, for some of the race they had more, they won the TTT. The top riders and stage winners always get tested more. The French teams suck, they seldom win stages or jerseys so they are not going to get tested.

Plus Kloden under his own personal cloud of suspicion, from the T Mobile, Frieburg report and the fact that Astana had just served a year's "suspension" from the ASO for past bad acts.
Add this to their GC rankings and they were certain to be the most tested team.
If they hadn't been, then something really would have been amiss.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The UCI are arguing that 'most tested' necessarily means they weren't receiving preferential treatment - cobblers. 'Preferential' treatment alludes to the missed tests, the loud conversations, the 45 minute gaps before testing, testing the same team at the same time so they knew when to expect the testers - the UCI has not adequately rebutted any of these charges.

Further, to compare one incident with the myriad concerning Astana would be apples and oranges n'est-ce-pas? IIRC the AFLD completed something like 13 tests at the Tour as opposed to the UCI's all out programme of thousands.

Whilst I appreciate the UCI's protection racket - sorry, bio passport - must buy you some favours it seems like nothing beats a straight up $500,000 in the pocket

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Getting back to the original question.

There was no disclosure on the name of the French cycling team whose five riders had their samples declared invalid due to the collection team including the names and other details on the samples.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ag2r - La Mondiale

Race Radio said:
More *** posturing by the UCI

Of course Astana would be tested more then any of the French teams. They had three riders in the top 10, for some of the race they had more, they won the TTT. The top riders and stage winners always get tested more. The French teams suck, they seldom win stages or jerseys so they are not going to get tested.

I do not think the frequency of testing is the issue, or the so-called suckiness of the French teams.

The "Preferential Treatment" issue stems from the AFLD's perception that the UCI was joking and smoking and coffee breaking too much with Astana.

The UCI responded to this point in the earlier link I posted:

"Friendship with riders

The UCI follows the principle of being “fair but firm”. We treat riders as human beings and with respect. We acknowledge that being familiar with riders is not good practice and we instruct our DCOs to maintain a professional attitude at all times when interacting with riders"...especially when their trousers are down around their ankles

Sorry, I added that last bit.

But anyway, getting back to my original question as to what team the UCI
is accusing the AFLD of being too chummy with....

I will guess Ag2r – La Mondiale. That French Team held the YELLOW JERSEY for over a WEEK until Astana snatched it away:(

Ag2r-La Mondiale also led the team classification from stage 7 to stage 11 and for one further day after stage 14 (hardly a sucky tour) until Astana took it away:(

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

I will guess Ag2r – La Mondiale. That French Team held the YELLOW JERSEY for over a WEEK until Astana snatched it away:(

Ag2r-La Mondiale also led the team classification from stage 7 to stage 11 and for one further day after stage 14 (hardly a sucky tour) until Astana took it away:(

From reading the article, the testing was out of competition testing prior to the tour. From the article you linked at the start of the thread

"By the start of the Tour, UCI had conducted 190 out-of competition tests on riders short listed for the Tour, while AFLD had conducted 13 tests. Of these, 6 were on French riders whom they have access to test all year round. But of great significance is that 5 of the samples collected from riders in the same French team, were sent to the laboratory with the full names and details of the riders"

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I do not think the frequency of testing is the issue, or the so-called suckiness of the French teams.

The "Preferential Treatment" issue stems from the AFLD's perception that the UCI was joking and smoking and coffee breaking too much with Astana.

The UCI responded to this point in the earlier link I posted:

"Friendship with riders

The UCI follows the principle of being “fair but firm”. We treat riders as human beings and with respect. We acknowledge that being familiar with riders is not good practice and we instruct our DCOs to maintain a professional attitude at all times when interacting with riders"...especially when their trousers are down around their ankles

Sorry, I added that last bit.

You are assuming that Ag2r was one of the French teams that was not tested much? Do you have any thing to support this?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You are assuming that Ag2r was one of the French teams that was not tested much? Do you have any thing to support this?

Nothing to support it - that why I called it "my guess".

And the UCI did not say the mystery Team was not tested enough,
but only hinted that the AFLD gave "preferential treatment" to French riders and to "one team in particular."

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

but only hinted that the AFLD gave "preferential treatment" to French riders and to "one team in particular."

The AFLD gave details of the UCI giving preferential treatment to Astana, let us know when you have the same.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The UCI 'accusation' is simply smoke and mirrors to distract attention from the fact that they have still not adequately explained their chain of custody and sample storage issues

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

Maybe there is good reason for it?

Who is responsible of testing selection during TDF? UCI or AFLD?

What are the specific AFLD testing?

Has none french riders a monitoring health system equivalent to their own? Are the french riders still tested by UCI too?

Difficult to see an advantage, at least for the french riders of the alleged favoured team.
But I can easily see the smoke-screen, as usual, of UCI to protect the most notorious doped teams. Don't spit in the sup, that is business ... before sport.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Amazing Boudry

bianchigirl said:
The UCI 'accusation' is simply smoke and mirrors to distract attention from the fact that they have still not adequately explained their chain of custody and sample storage issues

Yes, but the "smoke and mirrors" do make for entertaining viewing.

Can't wait till Mr Boudry takes the stage with his act/response!

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
poupou said:
Difficult to see an advantage, at least for the french riders of the alleged favoured team.

The lab left the names of the French Riders on their samples - that is a big no-no poupou. They could "mis-test" on purpose.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
The lab left the names of the French Riders on their samples - that is a big no-no poupou. They could "mis-test" on purpose.

You must been even more upset about how the UCI mishandled the samples of Astana. Transporting them without refrigeration in order to render them invalid.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

Or the reverse... to do specific test , maybe part of the french athletes monitoring program?

If it were to cover their doping, they could have easily throw away the samples and send them to a bad address...

or easier, don't test them and wait until UCI chose them.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Yes, but the "smoke and mirrors" do make for entertaining viewing.

Can't wait till Mr Boudry takes the stage with his act/response!

Who is that man? u and r are enough far to avoid a mistake.

finally we can conclude that he is not enough known.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
poupou a good point - but Polish is clearly unaware that the French riders are submitted to year round longitudinal testing by their own Federation and have been since Festina

TRENDING THREADS