• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Voice

Anyone here watch The Voice? I notice it's in several countries and languages, which I think is pretty cool, and since this is an international forum, might be fun to discuss.

I normally don't like these kinds of shows since few of the people are actually that talented, but this year on the US Voice has a much higher caliber of singers in it than similar shows in the past and Mrs. Alpe has me watching it.

Thoughts anyone?

I mentioned that this season of the US Voice has better singers than ever before. Well, after last night's show Cassadee Pope has the #1 song on iTunes today with "Over You" that she sang last night. Numerous Voice songs have charted (same with other such talent shows) but I believe this is the first time something went immediately to #1.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I mentioned that this season of the US Voice has better singers than ever before. Well, after last night's show Cassadee Pope has the #1 song on iTunes today with "Over You" that she sang last night. Numerous Voice songs have charted (same with other such talent shows) but I believe this is the first time something went immediately to #1.

Every week Karise Eden's song went to number 1 on itunes. Any good songs from the US show, Alpe? If so, post them.

You bet.

Here is Cassadee Pope's "Over You", which is now the #1 hit. Before clicking you need to know that her coach, Blake Shelton wrote this song for his late brother, and it was originally sung by Blake's wife, Amanda Lambert. I personally think it's quite good, but not as good as some others. But it is touching. I think she did better last week with Behind These Hazel Eyes.

Terry McDermott from Scotland hit a grand slam with Maybe I'm Amazed a few weeks ago. You have to fast forward to about 1:21 to hear. Since then he's stepped back a step or two and may soon find himself out of the competition if he can't recapture this brilliance.

Amanda Brown sang a kick ass version of Dream On three weeks ago that blew the roof off the place. She took a step back last week, but did well with Stars last night. Former backup singer for Adele. She is my personal favorite.

Odds on favorite perhaps to win is Tervin Hunte, who is 19 and was told in school he had no talent and would never amount to anything. Here is his version of the Percy Sledge classic When a Man Loves a Woman. He consistently floors the judges every time out.

Best duet was early in the competition when Nicholas David and Todd Kessler who got along like brothers sang Hall and Oates She's Gone. What was peculiar is that they sounded different vocally, and yet together, their voices blend very well. Nicholas is still in the hunt.

A wacky fun duet was between Cody Below and Domo singing Lada Gaga's Telephone. You'll either love it, or hate it. Cody has shown a lot of versatility, star quality, and is still in it.

I personally think most of the last dozen or so are noticeably better than previous years. Here's last year's final four. They're good, but compared to Amanda's Dream On or Terry's Maybe I'm Amazed...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
You bet.

Here is Cassadee Pope's "Over You", which is now the #1 hit. Before clicking you need to know that her coach, Blake Shelton wrote this song for his late brother, and it was originally sung by Blake's wife, Amanda Lambert. I personally think it's quite good, but not as good as some others. But it is touching. I think she did better last week with Behind These Hazel Eyes.

Terry McDermott from Scotland hit a grand slam with Maybe I'm Amazed a few weeks ago. You have to fast forward to about 1:21 to hear. Since then he's stepped back a step or two and may soon find himself out of the competition if he can't recapture this brilliance.

Amanda Brown sang a kick ass version of Dream On three weeks ago that blew the roof off the place. She took a step back last week, but did well with Stars last night. Former backup singer for Adele. She is my personal favorite.

Odds on favorite perhaps to win is Tervin Hunte, who is 19 and was told in school he had no talent and would never amount to anything. Here is his version of the Percy Sledge classic When a Man Loves a Woman. He consistently floors the judges every time out.

Best duet was early in the competition when Nicholas David and Todd Kessler who got along like brothers sang Hall and Oates She's Gone. What was peculiar is that they sounded different vocally, and yet together, their voices blend very well. Nicholas is still in the hunt.

A wacky fun duet was between Cody Below and Domo singing Lada Gaga's Telephone. You'll either love it, or hate it. Cody has shown a lot of versatility, star quality, and is still in it.

I personally think most of the last dozen or so are noticeably better than previous years. Here's last year's final four. They're good, but compared to Amanda's Dream On or Terry's Maybe I'm Amazed...
My two favourites were Tervin Hunte and Amanda Brown. Both amazing voices. Having watched a couple of the past series of the US version, I must say that CeeLo is really creepy. :p

The US version of the Voice is now down to the final four. My favorite Amanda Brown went home last night, only making the last six. I'm still a bit stunned by it, and I'm sure we haven't heard the last of her. But every one of the last six charted on the iTunes chart, Terry McDermott topped out at #2, Cassadee Pope at 4, and Nicholas David at 5. Terry was also #1 and 2 on the iTunes rock chart. Trevin Hunt hit 1 on the R&B chart. Plus Cassadee, Terry, Melanie Martinez (also eliminated), and Amanda all charted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, even though there are no physical songs of theirs to buy (no CD for example), and virtually no radio airplay. That's how high the competition is.

Here's Terry McDermott singing I Want to Know What Love Is.

Here is Nicholas David singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Here is Cassadee Pope singing Stand.

Here is Trevin Hunte singing And I'm Telling You.

And for good measure, here is Amanda Brown's performance of the Aretha Franklin classic You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman.

Some other comments: Cassadee has outsold the others on the charts, but Trevin has been selling the least in the last few weeks and is still there. I think Cassadee is fourth on this list, and while a good singer a step below Amanda. But Cassadee is the girl next door that every guy wants to date, and every girl wants to be. I'd also argue that the last 12 people on the Voice could have easily gone on American Idol, or the X Factor and made the top 4, or even won it, but as much as the Voice focuses on true vocal talent, being cute and friendly like Cassadee is, and looking like a pop icon sure doesn't hurt. And she can sing quite good.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I find that almost amusing. Completely different styles, and backgrounds. Ricky Martin is Puerto Rican! Though I think he probably deserves credit for helping take Latino-pop global.

He has been in retirement for a long time as well, at least I think he has. I will have a look at some of those links you posted a bit later as well.

Not sure about Germany, but in the US there has been a lot of post-show success for many of the winners. Actually, last season's Voice had Chris Mann finishing 4th, and he's found success.

As noted, this Season's US Voice has been noticeably higher quality overall. It's reached the point where it's not a question if these people can sing as good as anyone on the radio, they can. It's an issue of the business itself, and songwriting and marketing. Can they fit into that? If so, anyone in about the last 10 or so from this year can make it. Top four preformed last night in US. I liked Terry McDermott's version of Let it Be quite a bit. Not too many people sing that song because you make one single mistake and everyone in the world knows it. Similar can be said about Nicholas David singing the Joe Cocker classic You Are So Beautiful.

Some very sad news in that Mexico's version of The Voice, coach Jenni Rivera was killed in a small plane crash. :(