• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jspear said:
Today I rode North towards Dulles International Airport. Rt. 28 N bound is one of the bigger, busier, wider roads that bikes are allowed on. All the traffic does make for some better drafting! It gets a little sketchy at times with lanes exiting off and merging on. The road shoulder keeps "shifting." Definitely have to stay on high alert. It was a busy day...only did 46 k/28.5 m today.

0715151241a.jpg

Had to pull off to an exit lane to take this pic. No pics while riding. :)

:eek:

Were you riding that for a bet? Looks like my idea of hell

Flinstone said:
Went out for a relaxing ride between storms. Rode about 30 miles. Stopped at a nice spot that has a view. Thought I would share it. This has to be why I enjoy riding. You get to see the surrounding area. Not just drive through it. You get to be part of it. I wonder if the guys in the pro races actually get to enjoy their surroundings. They race in some of the most scenic places on earth. How much of it do they really see?

It's a big part of the attraction for me as well. Live in the city centre with constant hubbub. Once I'm out on a country lane, the stresses and worries seem to disappear.

Where is that?

Re: Re:

postmanhat said:
Jspear said:
Today I rode North towards Dulles International Airport. Rt. 28 N bound is one of the bigger, busier, wider roads that bikes are allowed on. All the traffic does make for some better drafting! It gets a little sketchy at times with lanes exiting off and merging on. The road shoulder keeps "shifting." Definitely have to stay on high alert. It was a busy day...only did 46 k/28.5 m today.

0715151241a.jpg

Had to pull off to an exit lane to take this pic. No pics while riding. :)

Were you riding that for a bet? Looks like my idea of hell

No, it's one of my regular routes. I know some might call me stupid. :D I actually enjoy the route...once you get used to all the cars, you can enjoy the drafting effect. :)

King Boonen said:
So, the k wire should be removed tomorrow. Now seriously thinking about moving to a shorter distance in the Sportive (there are three, I'd drop to the middle one) and riding it on the fixed wheel. Would be a fun way to get my fitness back!

Nice! Ya do the shorter distance....in the long run you'll appreciate the fact that you went easy on yourself now. :)

Re:

King Boonen said:
So, the k wire should be removed tomorrow. Now seriously thinking about moving to a shorter distance in the Sportive (there are three, I'd drop to the middle one) and riding it on the fixed wheel. Would be a fun way to get my fitness back!

Good luck tomorrow, but I'll be trying not to think of you, sounds gruesome.

Someone has kindly plotted the route of this years Tour of Britain Stage six on Strava. Might be of help is you're still thinking of Chester to Nottingham

http://www.strava.com/routes/1587053

Is the sportive the off-road one starting in Bakewell?

postmanhat said:
King Boonen said:

Good luck tomorrow, but I'll be trying not to think of you, sounds gruesome.

Someone has kindly plotted the route of this years Tour of Britain Stage six on Strava. Might be of help is you're still thinking of Chester to Nottingham

http://www.strava.com/routes/1587053

Is the sportive the off-road one starting in Bakewell?

The wire is out! Very weird, basically a pair of pliers and pull... Been given the green light to get on the bike as soon as I'm comfortable... So I'm just getting changed :D

Thanks, that's great. Will use it towards the time to get a good route sorted.

It's the rise above sportive:

http://www.riseabovesportive.com

I'm currently registered on the extremist but I plan to drop to the purist and do it on the fixed wheel.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
KB ..just spotted your injury. Sorry to hear that but sounds like its all going well.
My dad " he's dead now" he lost all the tips of his fingers [one hand] in a machine accident. Just thought id mention that

good luck

Re:

ray j willings said:
KB ..just spotted your injury. Sorry to hear that but sounds like its all going well.
My dad " he's dead now" he lost all the tips of his fingers [one hand] in a machine accident. Just thought id mention that

good luck

Hi Ray,

Thanks! In the grand scheme of things it seems like I'm going to be very lucky with either no or very minor lasting effects, could have been much worse.

In the immediate term it's knocked my riding for 6 and I'm only just returning to any kind of form. Only being able to ride the fixed wheel is both good and bad! Very glad it was just the one and they managed to save it, I play finger style acoustic guitar and was seriously worried at one point.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

King Boonen said:
ray j willings said:

good luck

Hi Ray,

Thanks! In the grand scheme of things it seems like I'm going to be very lucky with either no or very minor lasting effects, could have been much worse.

In the immediate term it's knocked my riding for 6 and I'm only just returning to any kind of form. Only being able to ride the fixed wheel is both good and bad! Very glad it was just the one and they managed to save it, I play finger style acoustic guitar and was seriously worried at one point.

Playing Guitar is a big thing ,that would have been a heart breaker. Finger style as well.
I always think about Django and the caravan fire and how he carried on playing with just 2 fingers and was just as incredible

Django-Reinhardt1.jpg

King Boonen said:
ray j willings said:

good luck

Hi Ray,

Ah yes, you need your fingers and hands for guitar. For me, my guitar (and music) is one of the few things I enjoy more than cycling! Don't tell anyone, I'm not sure if I should say that on a cycling forum. :p

Today I went out, planning on riding to Culpeper to help some friends on their farm. 15 miles out my pedal broke. I was pedaling and all the sudden my foot broke free from my crank, my clipless pedal was still stuck to my shoe...anyways, had to have someone come pick me up and now it's time for some new pedals. I got 12,000 miles out of the pedal's....I guess I'm happy with that. :)

So I rode the Mark Cavendish RiseAbove Sportive yesterday. I did the middle distance, 120km with about 2000m climbing (their website understated the climbing according to my Garmin even when corrected to map data) due to recent surgery and only being able to ride a fixed wheel. I finished in the top 15% of finishers in my distance, pretty please with that as the course was not at all suited to a fixed wheel, either downhill or uphill no flat pretty much. Got a lot of people telling me I was both mental and hardcore for doing it! I also left behind a lot of people on bike 20 times + more expensive than mine :)

A mate managed to snap a cleat and had to get picked up. The guy driving was a national amateur triathlete and he said after recc'ing each of the three routes he could guarantee that no-one could finish the 120km route on a single speed, let alone a fixed wheel, and that he WOULD be picking me up later on. Yet more proof triathletes shouldn't be allowed on bikes ;)

Re:

King Boonen said:
So I rode the Mark Cavendish RiseAbove Sportive yesterday. I did the middle distance, 120km with about 2000m climbing (their website understated the climbing according to my Garmin even when corrected to map data) due to recent surgery and only being able to ride a fixed wheel. I finished in the top 15% of finishers in my distance, pretty please with that as the course was not at all suited to a fixed wheel, either downhill or uphill no flat pretty much. Got a lot of people telling me I was both mental and hardcore for doing it! I also left behind a lot of people on bike 20 times + more expensive than mine :)

A mate managed to snap a cleat and had to get picked up. The guy driving was a national amateur triathlete and he said after recc'ing each of the three routes he could guarantee that no-one could finish the 120km route on a single speed, let alone a fixed wheel, and that he WOULD be picking me up later on. Yet more proof triathletes shouldn't be allowed on bikes ;)
Is that a normal thing to do, reconnoiter sportive routes? Or, is that another reason triathletes shouldn't be allowed on bikes.. Serious question as I've never ridden a sportive.

Great job on the fixie btw!

irondan said:
King Boonen said:

Is that a normal thing to do, reconnoiter sportive routes? Or, is that another reason triathletes shouldn't be allowed on bikes.. Serious question as I've never ridden a sportive.

Great job on the fixie btw!

I'm guessing so. They're generally not closed roads, morons occasionally throw things in the road like tacs, glass etc. and I guess you need to make sure there are no roadworks, fallen trees etc. in the road as there is no caravan preceding the riders. I know if I was organising one I would do it.

Thanks! I didn't see anyone else on a fixed wheel... :)

Re:

ray j willings said:
Congrats. Top performance. You must have beat di2 riders :D ,,,BRILLLIANT

Guaranteed :D And more carbon than you can find in a skip full of broken frames :)

irondan said:
ray j willings said:
Congrats. Top performance. You must have beat di2 riders :D ,,,BRILLLIANT
I gotta admit, that one went over my head ray. I have di2 and it's not a magic performance potion, not for me anyhow.

I think it's just a reference to the mamil culture that is invading cycling over here ;)

King Boonen said:
I think it's just a reference to the mamil culture that is invading cycling over here ;)
What I just read about Mamil culture cannot be unread!

I've never heard that term before. It's not a thing over here and hopefully it never is! The only name to describe this so called sub culture here in the US is whatever happens to be screamed out of car windows in any given moment... Other than that, we just call ourselves cyclists. :D

Re:

King Boonen said:
Cycling is the new golf in the UK. I have absolutely no problem with people spending their money on what they want, but you see some very unsuitable purchases that can't be either comfortable or safe.

Australia too. Saturday mornings can get pretty funny/hair raising (delete as applicable)

42x16ss said:
King Boonen said:
Cycling is the new golf in the UK. I have absolutely no problem with people spending their money on what they want, but you see some very unsuitable purchases that can't be either comfortable or safe.

Australia too. Saturday mornings can get pretty funny/hair raising (delete as applicable)

People were riding full TT bikes. TT bikes! On a f**king Sportive! With either 2000 or 3000M climbing! Arseholes. 3000 people on the road, many who have never ridden in groups before, and you're going to ride a bike where you can't reach the brakes..? ***.

Edit: Also loads of people with clip on bars. Almost as bad.

King Boonen said:
42x16ss said:
King Boonen said:

People were riding full TT bikes. TT bikes! On a f**king Sportive! With either 2000 or 3000M climbing! Arseholes. 3000 people on the road, many who have never ridden in groups before, and you're going to ride a bike where you can't reach the brakes..? ***.

Edit: Also loads of people with clip on bars. Almost as bad.

Perth is bad for this, triathlon is big there because apart from some crits over the summer and the occasional TT there's sweet F all racing. This leads to tri geeks, crazy bunch rides and bikepathletes...

TRENDING THREADS