• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To move away from the Tri/TT bashing (because it's so easy ;) )... Sprint finish!

IMG_7764_zpsy0uhfelv.jpg

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
It's been a trial to actually get to ride this year. I will get 3 days where I ride and then a week or more that work, weather or something else interrupts. I have called it the new bike curse. Two weeks ago I went out for a ride. I was about a mile from the house when I realized I had left my pepper spray. I figured that I have carried that stuff for years and have only used it once or twice that there was no need to go back. Well that was wrong. A boxer bull dog mix and a couple other dogs decided that I did not belong on their road. The boxer mix decided to taste my calf.
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t460/darnyankee1/KIMG0069.jpg
His K-nines went in pretty deep. the soreness is finally to appoint that I can ride without pain and the rain has set in. I guess I will test the calf out in the morning. Yes, the dog is still alive. The local police saved his life. But that is another part of the story. I hope the courts will make the owners pay up or destroy this dog.

Flinstone said:
It's been a trial to actually get to ride this year. I will get 3 days where I ride and then a week or more that work, weather or something else interrupts. I have called it the new bike curse. Two weeks ago I went out for a ride. I was about a mile from the house when I realized I had left my pepper spray. I figured that I have carried that stuff for years and have only used it once or twice that there was no need to go back. Well that was wrong. A boxer bull dog mix and a couple other dogs decided that I did not belong on their road. The boxer mix decided to taste my calf.
His K-nines went in pretty deep. the soreness is finally to appoint that I can ride without pain and the rain has set in. I guess I will test the calf out in the morning. Yes, the dog is still alive. The local police saved his life. But that is another part of the story. I hope the courts will make the owners pay up or destroy this dog.

Man that is not cool! I'm so sorry. I hope you start to feel completely fine.

I usually take beef with the owner over the dog. Sure dogs can be trained but they're still animals. I never trust that they are going to just sit there and do nothing. The owners should be keeping their dogs properly contained. I had one bad incident with a dog and was able to confront (I did my best to remain polite - it was hard :) ) the owners...they were oblivious to the potential dangers of having a loose dog. Some people need a lot of sense knocked into their brains. Tis a shame. I hope all goes well with your situation.

Flinstone said:
That looks pretty sore! I hope you got a tetanus shot?

I always carry pepper spray but I thought I'd only need it for the 2 legged animals. :(

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Jspear said:
Flinstone said:

Man that is not cool! I'm so sorry. I hope you start to feel completely fine.

I usually take beef with the owner over the dog. Sure dogs can be trained but they're still animals. I never trust that they are going to just sit there and do nothing. The owners should be keeping their dogs properly contained. I had one bad incident with a dog and was able to confront (I did my best to remain polite - it was hard :) ) the owners...they were oblivious to the potential dangers of having a loose dog. Some people need a lot of sense knocked into their brains. Tis a shame. I hope all goes well with your situation.

I stopped a short distance down the road to get a picture and survey the damage. It took a couple kicks to the head for the dog to lose the will to continue. My first though was to figure my shortest route home to retrieve a weapon to kill this dog. While I was taking a picture of my leg a lady stopped and asked if I was OK. Her children stated that the dog had chased them and nipped them a couple days prior. She proceeded to call the police. I told her that I would do it. After their arrival and taking pictures they proceeded to the house where the dog was. They could not exit the patrol car due to the dog. They cited the owner for violations. I was glad that it was me instead of a young child. This dog would have pulled them off of a bike and probably would have done more damage to a child that was down. I have several dogs that like to run with me when I pass by. They are friendly and just like to run. I ride several routes and over the years the dogs know when I am coming. They wait for me and run till they tire out. But never try to bite or get in the way. Any way the way the court sysytem is I have no say in what happens with this dog. I hope after what happened to me and the officer and the statement from the lady with the children. The courts will be strict with the owner. I know that if he is loose next time I ride by it will be his last time.

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
irondan said:
Flinstone said:
That looks pretty sore! I hope you got a tetanus shot?

I always carry pepper spray but I thought I'd only need it for the 2 legged animals. :(

My shots are up to date. According to the police the owner has shot records for the dog. It is healing well but puncture wounds to muscle tissue stay sore for quite some time. It took better than a week for the bruising to clear up.
A friend asked me why I always carried the spray. I told him it was for the idiots that throw stuff out of their window at you. Hopefully one will stop. Because after the pepper spray the will find out why I carry an air pump. I figure if I am riding I may need something to level the playing field.

no pepper spray required for where i live & ride

just a water bidon
and a great can do attitude

i'm in havelock north, hawke's bay
which is on the east coast of the north island of new zealand
about half way down

great riding here both on and off road

i'll get some elevated pics later in the week
if the weather is favourable

Did this on Saturday:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/the-inaugural-peaks-challenge-gold-coast/

It was a brilliantly run event, with great support, a lot of road closures and excellent weather. The constantly undulating course was annoying at times though, I would probably be as fast on the Falls Creek version of this event even though it has much bigger climbs.

I paced a small group of riding mates to beat the 10 hour timer, which they were happy with. I just wish I had something smaller than 39x25 for the first climb, I was down to about 45 rpm for the 20% sections!

Re:

42x16ss said:
Did this on Saturday:

It was a brilliantly run event, with great support, a lot of road closures and excellent weather. The constantly undulating course was annoying at times though, I would probably be as fast on the Falls Creek version of this event even though it has much bigger climbs.

I paced a small group of riding mates to beat the 10 hour timer, which they were happy with. I just wish I had something smaller than 39x25 for the first climb, I was down to about 45 rpm for the 20% sections!

That looks like a great ride! Beautiful scenery. Ya I guess there are some steep parts...in one of those pics, some are pushing their bikes!

I have yet to do over 180 kilometers in one ride. Silly question, but I'm real curious....how does your seat feel after being in the saddle that long? I have a good bike saddle and decent shorts, but after 180 K I was feeling it!

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
42x16ss said:
Did this on Saturday:

That looks like a great ride! Beautiful scenery. Ya I guess there are some steep parts...in one of those pics, some are pushing their bikes!

I have yet to do over 180 kilometers in one ride. Silly question, but I'm real curious....how does your seat feel after being in the saddle that long? I have a good bike saddle and decent shorts, but after 180 K I was feeling it!
I was ok, but I'd done a few 180km rides leading in. Staying comfortable comes down to a few things, the quality of the chamois in your knicks, the fit of your seat to your pelvic bones and the suitability of your bike fit. Chamois cream also helps ;)

A sportive like this is fine because you can always stop and take a break but races over 150km can really hurt if things aren't right "down there" :eek:

TRENDING THREADS