• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:
Dukes Pass video, long one as I'm on a fixed wheel and it was icy so make use of the x2 speed and skip function!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W15gXM-kCeA

What camera are you using?

Garmin VIRB, one of the original ones. Would like to get rid of it and get one of the new, tiny GoPros but it works so I can't justify it :)

Yes, the footage is really good. Just the right angle. Not sure I would have been taking on the ice at those speeds on the downhill. Did you have any slips?

winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:
winkybiker said:
King Boonen said:
Dukes Pass video, long one as I'm on a fixed wheel and it was icy so make use of the x2 speed and skip function!

What camera are you using?

Garmin VIRB, one of the original ones. Would like to get rid of it and get one of the new, tiny GoPros but it works so I can't justify it :)

Yes, the footage is really good. Just the right angle. Not sure I would have been taking on the ice at those speeds on the downhill. Did you have any slips?

It's 720p, 60fps which is good enough for me, especially as I don't have a massive screen! Worthwhile remembering that Youtube only recently allowed 60fps uploads, so older videos can suffer a bit.

I copied the position of Mike Cotty from The Col Collective, the Garmin is a really useful guide and the VIRB has a viewer on it so it's not point and hope, you can line it up and check.

No slips, a few wheel spins when climbing but nothing too bad. I'll put the much more frozen road up tomorrow if I get chance. That was much more slippy but it's straight so I was able to take it upright. I'm a mountain biker originally so I'm fairly used to wheels spinning and slipping and pretty comfortable at speeds a lot of road riders wouldn't like.

Todays conditions:

IMG_1397_zpsovsqo4ci.jpg

Re:

King Boonen said:

Brave man trying it so early in the year...

I love cycling the Dukes pass in the summer, if you hit it right and miss all the tourist busses it can be a stunning place to cycle...I also love cycling up around Loch Katrine up there but the toad up to the pier is getting chewed up to much so i don't risk the damage to my bike....the dukes pass if close by to me

rick james said:
King Boonen said:

Brave man trying it so early in the year...

I love cycling the Dukes pass in the summer, if you hit it right and miss all the tourist busses it can be a stunning place to cycle...I also love cycling up around Loch Katrine up there but the toad up to the pier is getting chewed up to much so i don't risk the damage to my bike....the dukes pass if close by to me

I had the luxury of being on my own so could easily turn back if it got too bad and a couple of years of mountain biking in the Tweed Valley have made me very confident on the rough stuff.

Roads weren't too bad but I was very much able to pick my own lines, would have been much worse in a group.

If you don't mind waiting for an idiot on a fixed wheel give me shout some time and we can head out. I don't ride those roads nearly enough, usually found on the Crow Road, Balachalary Yett, Queens View, Top of The World and Tak Ma Doon.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Been off the bike for 8 days with a flu,virus thing. Very annoying. Hoping to get my legs spinning tomorrow
I feel so fat and lazy. Horrible, plus you know that first ride back is going to be hard

Z2uXOWLs.jpg

OLi2G2As.jpg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
Went for my first ride in 9 days after flu/virus and there was quite a incident on my route. Ride was good though

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/car-being-pursued-by-police-smashes-into-shops-in-crouch-end-a3164181.html

Ridiculous headline. Should have been: "Idiot being pursued by police smashes car into shops". The car no more "crashed itself" than my breakfast "ate itself".

I agree. Its such a tight road just enough room for 2 cars to pass each other. Cars lorrys etc do park/load both sides so this is most likely cause for the driver/idiot to crash like that.

It can be a very busy stretch of road. A lot of people could have been hurt.
When I was there, endess people taking photos with their phones. I didn't , something feels not quite about right doing that, also considering people could not have been sure if anyone died or not.

People are seriously bonkers.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I did a nice training ride, about 43.4km with 2 climbs and 800m of altitude gain, in the Upper Pusteria Valley. The weather wasn't perfect but still ok, about 9°C, cloudy and a cold west wind, you needed a good jacket on the descents.

Tonton said:
Where did I ride my bike today? Around the block. I sold my Gitane when moving to the US, founded a family, and I bought an old '86 Raleigh Technium 480. Downtube shifters, 14 speeds, but quite light. I participated in many CN win-a-bike contests/drawings...and never won :rolleyes: . So I kept riding my clunker...

Being a man of limited means, I can't afford a new bike. But over time, I put a few dollars aside, did a lot of craigslist watch, hard bargains for parts, and after the end of my '15 season (after the GDL), I began stripping, priming, sanding, painting, sanding some more... as of 5 hours ago I finished upgrading my bike to...this.

It's a Frankenstein, mix of 6600 Ultegra and 5600 105, with a S series Sram 53-39 carbon crank. Exactly 10 kilos. I took a test ride this morning. Not an EMX 525, but it's mine :) . And it rides great.

Sweet ride, Tonton.
I really miss my '86 Bianchi with Columbus SLX frame and Dura Ace components. It was ridden tens of thousands of km's before the frame finally gave out. Riding that bike was like stepping into well-worn slippers.

Anyway, keeping with the theme of the thread, today I rode through the downtown streets of Toronto for 7 hours. I'm a professional cyclist, aka messenger.

p.s. What's up with your saddle, other than the back sticks up? I don't recall seeing anything like it.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I didn't go for a ride today . I went to Wilko's and bought a new toilet seat. I sat on the toilet this morning and the seat cracked.
I'm so Fat . I will ride tomorrow . I need to, I can't afford to keep breaking toilet seats.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I didn't go for a ride today . I went to Wilko's and bought a new toilet seat. I sat on the toilet this morning and the seat cracked.
I'm so Fat . I will ride tomorrow . I need to, I can't afford to keep breaking toilet seats.

At least the toilet seat didn't ignore you.

Sorry, couldn't resist! Welcome back, fatty. :eek:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Stingray34 said:
ray j willings said:

At least the toilet seat didn't ignore you.

Sorry, couldn't resist! Welcome back, fatty. :eek:

I have to salute you for that post . Nice one. I'm on diet now :D

Hi guys.

I didn't want to start a new thread just because of a simple question.
I am going to be travelling throughout the summer, and land in Rome. I will be heading along the coast to Sevilla with lots of stops on my way. Anyway, rather than doing it by train/stop/bus, I think it would be awesome to do it by bike.

I did a quick google search, but there doesn't seem to be an option to rent a bike in Rome, and then give it back in France/Spain.
I know it is a longshot but it doesn't hurt to ask whether any of you here knows of a most convenient and cheapest way to organize a trip like that (buying a bike in Rome and then trying to sell it once my tour is over is hardly hassle free). I was hoping at some point that car rentals would provide service like that.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
In two weeks time it'll be May. This is normally viewed as the beginning of warm summer weather in southern England.

Little did I expect to be caught in a snow blizzard for nearly 2 hours. Even less did I expect to find myself trying to ride in 5" of snow on a race bike with 23mm tyres.

Been stuck on the stationary bike at the gym for 6 weeks thanks to a broken scaphoid from being hit by a car :(

Luckily I recorded the amazing spectacles that were Flanders and Paris Roubaix - this and the scenery in spin classes (with a 45 min warmup and cool down) have kept me sane the past few weeks.

Hopefully I get the all clear to get back on the bike this week, because my new frame has arrived and we're building it up this weekend :D

TRENDING THREADS