• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
That really sucks! I hope you're back in action soon.
ray j willings said:
King Boonen said:
Big crash. Something stuck in my front wheel and over I went. Helmet smashed, heavily bruised hip, loads of road rash and skin lost on left hand, elbow, knee and shoulder. Kit ruined, pretty annoyed.

Sorry to hear that KB. Hope you back up and riding ASAP

Thanks guys. I'm on the mend but it'll be a couple of weeks until I can get out and see how I feel I think. Might have to take a hiatus from the fixed wheel for recovery too, we shall see. I re-cabled the road bike just in case.

Tricycle Rider said:
[I realize this may be uncool with you bike riders, but is there any way you could be checked out for a concussion?

I probably should have been but I had a lot to do, had to get my daughter etc. I think I'm ok and I'm taking it fairly easy. Helmet did its job and most of the pain is in my hip and my neck but they are easing off.

Jspear said:
Sorry man! I hate crashes. I hope you heal well.

Of course you're most important, but I must ask; how's your bike?

I think it's fine. One of the good things about riding a steel fixed wheel is there is very little to go wrong with it and it's pretty robust! After the crash I had to cycle about 25 miles back home. I was obviously going fairly slowly but the bike seemed fine. I'll check it over properly when I'm ready to head out again, fingers crossed.

At least Specialized are running their helmet amnesty at the moment!

King Boonen said:
I probably should have been but I had a lot to do, had to get my daughter etc. I think I'm ok and I'm taking it fairly easy. Helmet did its job and most of the pain is in my hip and my neck but they are easing off.
Oh dude, how old is you daughter? Is she tinkering with bicycles yet? (I tell ya, it's just too much fun. My dad always has me working on his bike, at any rate.)

Well anyway, I hope you heal soon, and if your head doesn't feel quite right - PLEASE go see a doctor! (The brain is, unfortunately, something duct tape can't fix. Well, most of the time...)

Tricycle Rider said:
King Boonen said:
Oh dude, how old is you daughter? Is she tinkering with bicycles yet? (I tell ya, it's just too much fun. My dad always has me working on his bike, at any rate.)

Well anyway, I hope you heal soon, and if your head doesn't feel quite right - PLEASE go see a doctor! (The brain is, unfortunately, something duct tape can't fix. Well, most of the time...)

4 1/2. She's interested in my bikes, likes going to watch my mates race at the velodrome. I'll get her started on them soon so she can do the easy jobs for me!

I seem to be getting better, neck and hip are the worst bits but pretty sure it's just muscular pain rather than anything more sinister. I'll go to the doctor (it's free here!) if it doesn't get much better over the weekend. Missing riding my bike...

King Boonen said:
4 1/2. She's interested in my bikes, likes going to watch my mates race at the velodrome. I'll get her started on them soon so she can do the easy jobs for me!

I seem to be getting better, neck and hip are the worst bits but pretty sure it's just muscular pain rather than anything more sinister. I'll go to the doctor (it's free here!) if it doesn't get much better over the weekend. Missing riding my bike...
Good man, KB, get those tykes working on those bikes as soon as they can walk&talk! (Even if it's something as mundane as cleaning and lubing a chain - as they get older we can always graduate them to something a little more complicated. [And as we get older they might help us with something as mundane as remembering our password. :D])

Anyhoo, get well soon (but don't rush it), your bikes miss you as much as you miss them. (Those machines were meant to be ridden!)

Tricycle Rider said:
King Boonen said:
Big crash. Something stuck in my front wheel and over I went. Helmet smashed, heavily bruised hip, loads of road rash and skin lost on left hand, elbow, knee and shoulder. Kit ruined, pretty annoyed.
I realize this may be uncool with you bike riders, but is there any way you could be checked out for a concussion?
^^^This. I hope you got checked over KB. I found out the hard way to get a checkup asap after anything worse than a light tumble. I'm paying the price now for never getting my left wrist checked out after a nasty crash in a race in my early 20's. The scaphoid bone was broken and has since died so I've now got osteoarthritis in it (at 35yo) and have poor hand strength in the cold (shifting to the big ring is a b!tch in the winter :( ) almost any knock to it now and it flares up.

I've got a few friends who are in similar situations including a former pro who basically destroyed his back by riding on after a crash in a stage race then did some one day races straight after because he was worried about his contract. There's nothing more important than your health.

42x16ss said:
Tricycle Rider said:
King Boonen said:
I realize this may be uncool with you bike riders, but is there any way you could be checked out for a concussion?
^^^This. I hope you got checked over KB. I found out the hard way to get a checkup asap after anything worse than a light tumble. I'm paying the price now for never getting my left wrist checked out after a nasty crash in a race in my early 20's. The scaphoid bone was broken and has since died so I've now got osteoarthritis in it (at 35yo) and have poor hand strength in the cold (shifting to the big ring is a b!tch in the winter :( ) almost any knock to it now and it flares up.

I've got a few friends who are in similar situations including a former pro who basically destroyed his back by riding on after a crash in a stage race then did some one day races straight after because he was worried about his contract. There's nothing more important than your health.
Absolutely!

While young you may think you're over the pain the very next day, but as far as my experience goes each crash leaves its calling card.

(I'm a former gymnast, my lower back gives me such pain now [even though I'm only 47], sometimes I wish I had never done gymnastics and all that crashing and ridiculous stretching that it inherently involves.)

Btw., I'm not trying to discourage anyone from either cycling or gymnastics (both can be beautiful sports), but for the love of all that is aero...

DO get yourself checked out whenever you have had a crash. :cool:

(Your body and health will have to outlast those bikes and beams, after all.)

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Btw., I'm not trying to discourage anyone from either cycling or gymnastics (both can be beautiful sports), but for the love of all that is aero...

DO get yourself checked out whenever you have had a crash. :cool:

(Your body and health will have to outlast those bikes and beams, after all.)

In addition to this get your bike checked as well. Besides your body, it's the most important thing you own. :p

Hi all, thanks for the concern.

I went to get checked out today as I was still in a fair bit of pain and have some bad swelling. Turns out it's a haematoma, will sort itself out in a few weeks an I've been encouraged to ride if I can as it will help it disperse. Nothing broken, seems I'm still young enough to bounce. Will check the bike out tomorrow hopefully. It got me 40km back from where I crashed but it was at a low speed. Didn't notice anything wrong with it so the wheel is likely ok, will need to check the fork and headtube joins though, just in case. I think it should be ok, my momentum took me over the handlebars and it landed on my rather than me falling sideways and landing on the bike.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Hi all, thanks for the concern.

I went to get checked out today as I was still in a fair bit of pain and have some bad swelling. Turns out it's a haematoma, will sort itself out in a few weeks an I've been encouraged to ride if I can as it will help it disperse. Nothing broken, seems I'm still young enough to bounce. Will check the bike out tomorrow hopefully. It got me 40km back from where I crashed but it was at a low speed. Didn't notice anything wrong with it so the wheel is likely ok, will need to check the fork and headtube joins though, just in case. I think it should be ok, my momentum took me over the handlebars and it landed on my rather than me falling sideways and landing on the bike.
Good to hear, KB, glad you're gonna be all right!

And having heard that I can naturally crack a joke now - even in that split second I'm glad you had your priorities straight - you had the bike landing on you rather than you landing on the bike! :cool:

PS - You got any pictures of the swelling? Where is it at?

Good news KB. Get well my friend. Rest, please. And come back stronger. As Always :) .

I recently moved to Richmond, took a couple of shots at this:

Back then, I was getting fit and belligerent. Tough climb, very tough. 4K at 8,5%, I suffered and made it with a decent form. Then rain for three straight weeks. Between my new job and the weather, six weeks without riding. Yesterday, I got some sun, did a 30K ride finishing with Old Gun Road East, starting with a 400m murito that kicked my butt. Yet, when other riders dismounted, I fought my way up. I'm so out of shape, it's not funny, but I contadored up the hill. Sore legs: but I'm back ;) .

Get well KB. Don't rush it.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Today I climbed the Tre Cime (my first Tre Cime ride of the year, the road has just opened recently).
I didn't have great legs, but it's always an awesome climb and one of my favourite climbs.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Today I climbed the Tre Cime (my first Tre Cime ride of the year, the road has just opened recently).
I didn't have great legs, but it's always an awesome climb and one of my favourite climbs.

Ah, sounds great.

I have climbed the Tre Cime once, after having had the obligatory coffee break at one of the kitsch tourist places at the Lago di Misurina at the foot of the climb. What a nasty climb that one is, but great nonetheless.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
Yesterday was 80kms followed by 5 repeats of my local climb (2kms @ ~6%)

Was a nice morning for it too.

Yeah, looks great!

I'm always a bit envious (tongue in cheek) of the terrain you guys mention, my region is pancake flat. The only thing I can battle against are the winds that blow over the Dutch pastures.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Rode for 4 hrs and 45 mins. Up El Tigre from just south of the Ensenada toll booth,into Valle de Guadalupe and through the town back down into Ensenada, cooled down in Playa Hermosa and got a cup of black for my trouble at Cafe Antigua which has outstanding coffee for 20 pesos@1.10 US dollar the grape vines are all filled with leaves and the rolling hills of the wineries takes your mind off things. Cresting the hill on the return road and seeing the big blue Pacific always makes my legs feel better..... if only temporarily.

Fantastic club ride. Averaged 30ish kph for the ride which was on a lumpy route and I was 14th out of 40 on the only climb of note that we always do at the start. Not bad considering I was on an 81" fixed gear and there are sections where it's hard to turn it. Never felt pushed, even got second in the town sprint in my group (would have been first if I had more gears! I span out). Bit of pain but didn't get any worse, slowly getting back to fitness :)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I rode for @2 hours today along a incomplete road called Ruta de Vino in Ensenada. I was passed by lots of race cars that are tuning up for the Baja 500.
Each car,motorcycle and truck look and sound really good, even if the first couple that came up on me scared the crap out of me with my earbuds in!!!

Been working out like a maniac lately (in relative terms, I haven't cycled much at all this year). +25 degrees and sunshine for the last week now is wonderful.

I went out with a friend and got close to 70 kilometres in the legs today. I live in Denmark, but contrary to popular belief, its actually decently hilly at places. Got a few good hills in in Hammer Bakker, south of Aalborg. Actually pretty hard to find a road that doesn't slightly descents or ascents, incredible for a lightweight like me (1,83, 67 kg). Going to Harzen a couple of days in the summertime with my family, dad and lilbro, and are doing intensive hill/mountain training and depending on how it goes, I'll try myself out in a cycle club in the summer since I have never really been able to do that due to playing football.

Now, tan lines like Michael Rasmussen and burning skin. Gotta love it.

TRENDING THREADS