• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Had 135 on my bike today, first 85 km on a group ride (actually with some conti riders just going on a stroll) and afterwards 50 with my younger brother. Didn't have enough sugar for the last 10 km, that was hell, but overall a highly satisfying day out on the road. 10 degrees and a bit of sun didn't make it worse, thats for sure - almost felt like summer considering what we've had the last 5 months.

Season finally started. :) 3 weeks to go to the first races.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Had 135 on my bike today, first 85 km on a group ride (actually with some conti riders just going on a stroll) and afterwards 50 with my younger brother. Didn't have enough sugar for the last 10 km, that was hell, but overall a highly satisfying day out on the road. 10 degrees and a bit of sun didn't make it worse, thats for sure - almost felt like summer considering what we've had the last 5 months.

Take some gummy bears with you next time ;)

Re: Re:

kingjr said:
Valv.Piti said:

Take some gummy bears with you next time ;)
Good idea, especially as they according to some act as a masking agent, that would be perfect for my rampant EPO-use!

105 km today, that makes it around 300 km for the last 3 days. Felt the long ride out there from yesterday as I cramped out during a sprint and couldn't go properly for 5 minutes, but overall, another very pleasent and not super hard day out there. Just some very good endurance tempo, 145 avg heart rate

Re:

Jspear said:
Great rides ya'll, but King Boonen tops you all. More miles, more feet climbed, all on a fixed gear. Wimps.... :p
I could do that if my fixie had a hidden motor like KB's as well. Push a button and whops, 50 watts! Easy, peasy. :D

Jk, highly impressive to do 200 km on a fixie no matter how fast/slow you are riding. Haven't checked the ride out tho.

From my home down to a cafe downtown for brunch. (Roads downtown are a lot more quite at before 10 am Sunday morning, than they are at around 4 pm Tuesday afternoon when I usually pass through the city centre...)
From the cafe up to my parents.
From my parents back home.

Dunno how long, and I don't really care. Just regular-ordinary get-around cycling.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Dunno how long, and I don't really care. Just regular-ordinary get-around cycling.
That's sometimes the best kind of riding.

Been doing some jogging as the weather hasn't really turned and I've been a little time crunched and haven't found myself on a clean-the-mountain-bike-again (or fix-the-road-bike) mood on weekdays. Hoping it helps a bit with the out of the saddle climbing. There's a pretty 800 v.m. dirt road climb close by I want to take another stab at.

Still got around to putting in a nice little (mostly road) fifty miler with some fun dirt kickers on Saturday, just in time to scurry on home as the whistling (tail)winds beckoned the oncoming downpour.

Re:

Jspear said:
Great rides ya'll, but King Boonen tops you all. More miles, more feet climbed, all on a fixed gear. Wimps.... :p

:D

Valv.Piti said:
I could do that if my fixie had a hidden motor like KB's as well. Push a button and whops, 50 watts! Easy, peasy. :D

Jk, highly impressive to do 200 km on a fixie no matter how fast/slow you are riding. Haven't checked the ride out tho.

I wish! I actually had to divert due to fog at the top of one of the climbs so it was only 190ish km in the end, weather was horrible all day and while the ride was still enjoyable it was tough going. I'll plot the route on ride with GPS so you can have a look.

Here's the final ride:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19597496

Need to add on a bit as I've started it not from my actual start.

Usually I'd have ridden back from Kilmarnock but the A76 is a horrible road so I was pushing to get to the end of it and the weather wasn't pleasant. Constant headwind/sidewind pretty much the whole ride (I'd planned for a tail wind home but didn't get it due to the route change). A76 is a trunk road through that bit of Scotland, heavy traffic and loads of idiots, I only use it when I absolutely have to. The rest of the roads are very nice.

I used an 81" fixed gear, 48x16 actual chainring/sprocket.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Here's the final ride:

Usually I'd have ridden back from Kilmarnock but the A76 is a horrible road so I was pushing to get to the end of it and the weather wasn't pleasant. Constant headwind/sidewind pretty much the whole ride (I'd planned for a tail wind home but didn't get it due to the route change). A76 is a trunk road through that bit of Scotland, heavy traffic and loads of idiots, I only use it when I absolutely have to. The rest of the roads are very nice.

Solid ride. Have you ever considered strava?

KM marker 110-120. How was that with your fixed gear?

Jspear said:
King Boonen said:
Here's the final ride:

Solid ride. Have you ever considered strava?

KM marker 110-120. How was that with your fixed gear?

I'm actually on Strava, will PM you. It's currently refusing to correct the elevation on the first part of that ride.

110-115 was fine, my cadence was around 50rpm which usually means standing up but still turning ok. From 115-120 it was fairly slow going but I've done steeper stuff. Garmin sensors drop out around 25rpm and there is a fair bit of zero reading in my data. I generally find that the gear works ok climbing until it doesn't, then there is a gradient range where the speed it pretty constant no matter what the gradient is. With this gear it's around 8-13% for constant (50m+) or up to 20% for short bigs (like corners etc.). If the road is like that my speed will be low but I can keep the gear going, usually sits around 9-11kph. Any slower and it's too much effort to turn the gear. There as no walking/pushing on that run, the climb was slow as I stopped at one point to look at the scenery (and because climbing is always slow on a fixed gear on proper climbs :) ) but I could have kept that kind of climbing up for a fair while.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Here's the final ride:

I've got the radar road on my hit list this year, that Mennock pass, I've got one of the slowest ever times on it, I tried to do the radar road but the wind was crazy, I got blown off the road twice climbing the pass then becuae of snow I could only make it 3/4 up the radar road

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Today I rode far away and ate many many bugs
I believe in bugs, I truly believe in bugs
If you rode where I rode, you'd believe in bugs
You'd truly believe in bugs

rick james said:
King Boonen said:
Here's the final ride:

I've got the radar road on my hit list this year, that Mennock pass, I've got one of the slowest ever times on it, I tried to do the radar road but the wind was crazy, I got blown off the road twice climbing the pass then becuae of snow I could only make it 3/4 up the radar road

Sounds like a typical day in May in Scotland :D I couldn't even see where the Radar tower road was, not even sure if I passed it. I stopped in the valley bit to take photos but the fog came both pretty much as soon as I did so I pushed on. I'm sure it's got views when you can see, but all I could see was the guard rail on the other side of the road!

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Either you're pretty badass, calling the rainy-snowy weather good, in which case: Go you! :cool:
Or... you've got better weather than me, in which case: That's not fair! :mad:
No clouds on the sky, a bit chilly, not too windy.. on top of that it was beautiful to look at the snow in the forest. Well, I just need it not to rain, then Im happy, but when you also can tan your face out there its a plus. ;)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I went on a 40km MTB ride, jusst like yesterday and I'll probably do another one tomorrow.
I've got a deep cut that required a few stitches on my left index finger, that's one of the main reasons why I choose to ride my MTB, compared to a road bike it's easier to shift gears and hit the break without using my index finger (at least for me).

Mountain biking is great fun on a good trail, unfortunately the trails I know are always very muddy so its really no fun.. and I find racing on the road more challenging psychically as well as there's too much doing nothing on a MTB, its stop and start which I guess is good interval training. I like the hard endurance riders more. Maybe thats not the case in Italy, I assume its not.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Mountain biking is great fun on a good trail, unfortunately the trails I know are always very muddy so its really no fun.. and I find racing on the road more challenging psychically as well as there's too much doing nothing on a MTB, its stop and start which I guess is good interval training. I like the hard endurance riders more. Maybe thats not the case in Italy, I assume its not.

MTBing can be very challenging (physically) if you have the right course. Also mud can be very fun. :)

Valv.Piti said:
RedheadDane said:
Either you're pretty badass, calling the rainy-snowy weather good, in which case: Go you! :cool:
Or... you've got better weather than me, in which case: That's not fair! :mad:
No clouds on the sky, a bit chilly, not too windy.. on top of that it was beautiful to look at the snow in the forest. Well, I just need it not to rain, then Im happy, but when you also can tan your face out there its a plus. ;)

So, if it snows you're happy too? :p

Personally I'd rather have rain (and no wind), than wind (and no rain). Sudden gusts of wind/throw-winds around house corners, and a bodyweight of 50 kg does call for some rather interesting situations. However, it seems like in these parts if it's raining it's pretty often also kinda windy.

We're finally getting our belated summer rain here, so I've been taking my new 29'er hardtail out. Luckily there's dozens of narrow gravel roads in the state forest a couple of minutes from my house. It's been refreshing to do a few hours on these with some single track thrown in at the end to change things up.

I crashed heavily a weak ago: bike wrecked and I couldn't walk properly for 2 days. Got pretty hurt.. that isn't really the problem tho.

I simply can't ride in biggish groups now. I feel a severe anxiety of crashing all the time which doesn't make it enjoyable at all. Obviously you should always be on your marks riding in a group, but I've taken it to the extreme after crashing. Has anybody any experience with this?

TRENDING THREADS