• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I crashed heavily a weak ago: bike wrecked and I couldn't walk properly for 2 days. Got pretty hurt.. that isn't really the problem tho.

I simply can't ride in biggish groups now. I feel a severe anxiety of crashing all the time which doesn't make it enjoyable at all. Obviously you should always be on your marks riding in a group, but I've taken it to the extreme after crashing. Has anybody any experience with this?

Valv, have you tried riding always at the very back of the group? Never inside the group, always sit on the back. That's the way friends of mine have dealt with this problem, and they got their confidence back quite quickly.

And what you're feeling is very normal. It's only a short time since your crash. Give it time, your confidence will come back. And sorry about your crash, it's never pleasant is it. It's good to be back riding so quickly.

Re: Re:

Dan2016 said:
Valv.Piti said:
I crashed heavily a weak ago: bike wrecked and I couldn't walk properly for 2 days. Got pretty hurt.. that isn't really the problem tho.

I simply can't ride in biggish groups now. I feel a severe anxiety of crashing all the time which doesn't make it enjoyable at all. Obviously you should always be on your marks riding in a group, but I've taken it to the extreme after crashing. Has anybody any experience with this?

Valv, have you tried riding always at the very back of the group? Never inside the group, always sit on the back. That's the way friends of mine have dealt with this problem, and they got their confidence back quite quickly.

And what you're feeling is very normal. It's only a short time since your crash. Give it time, your confidence will come back. And sorry about your crash, it's never pleasant is it. It's good to be back riding so quickly.
Like Dan just said, give it time, it's only a week. Start with smaller groups that you know well and trust. Stay away from big bunches that ride at race pace for a while and ease back into things.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Did you crash with the group or out on your own?

King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:

Nope, somebody crashed in from of me. So riding in bunches now is extremely unpleasant since I am always 'prepared' to fall.

Thanks guys, I figured that was the way to go about it. For the moment tho, I won't ride with +4.

Valv.Piti said:
King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:

Nope, somebody crashed in from of me. So riding in bunches now is extremely unpleasant since I am always 'prepared' to fall.

Thanks guys, I figured that was the way to go about it. For the moment tho, I won't ride with +4.

Ok. It's an unfortunate part of group riding but there is a lot you can do about it. As a lecturer I'm generally pretty loud/bossy in a group but having someone talking and checking other riders helps a lot. If people are crossing wheels, riding between the lines, half-wheeling or, my current personal favourite idiot move, taking selfies, then the group as a whole should call them out on it. Crossing wheels in the group is probably the worst thing that can happen and this should be pointed out. None of this has to be aggressive or angry, everyone should understand that it's all to make the group safer.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:
King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:

Ok. It's an unfortunate part of group riding but there is a lot you can do about it. As a lecturer I'm generally pretty loud/bossy in a group but having someone talking and checking other riders helps a lot. If people are crossing wheels, riding between the lines, half-wheeling or, my current personal favourite idiot move, taking selfies, then the group as a whole should call them out on it. Crossing wheels in the group is probably the worst thing that can happen and this should be pointed out. None of this has to be aggressive or angry, everyone should understand that it's all to make the group safer.

Seriously? Selfies...in a bunch! That's completely crackers.
I don't understand what selfies are all about full stop but that's another matter...

Valv, glad you know what you're doing. Good luck.

Dan2016 said:
King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:
King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:

I don't understand what selfies are all about full stop but that's another matter...

Anyone taking a selfie in the bunch should be immediately flicked into the gutter until they get the message.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, just getting the groove back little by little. Rode with some guys today and it felt okay.

Good stuff.
Lots of riders been there. The good feelings usually seems to come back quick. Cyclists are usually too nuts to remember anxiety for long. :)

Dan2016 said:

Yep. Usually on the front but I've seen people doing it in the middle of a bunch. Not sure where the trend started but as a club we stamped down on it very quickly.

42x16ss said:
Anyone taking a selfie in the bunch should be immediately flicked into the gutter until they get the message.

Yup, it's just stupid.

Valv.Piti said:
Haha, yeah, or cycling without hands in the middle of a bunch as well, always makes me uncomfortable.

This one depends. I do it if I need to take off/put on my gilet, arm warmers etc. or grab a gel flask. I only do it when I know the roads are fine though and the bunch is just rolling along, if the pace is on I just suck it up until the coffee stop. I'd never do it for no reason though and never for longer than a few seconds.

I didn't ride anywhere today. However, yesterday I rode my bike down to my parents and grandmother, and then I rode home again after we'd eaten. :D

I don't have any suggestions to the group-riding issue. I get nervous just by riding on the bike lane with other cyclists. I get nervous just by watching the bunch in the pro races during a sprint.
Then there was the one time I overtook a lady on her bike, our handlebars touched, and I sorta went flying out onto the road. Few cars, luckily, and I stayed upright.

But yeah, people who are on their phones while riding should be shot. Not just talking people on group-rides here, but also regular cyclists. Surely that text doesn't need to be answered now...

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I didn't ride anywhere today. However, yesterday I rode my bike down to my parents and grandmother, and then I rode home again after we'd eaten. :D

I don't have any suggestions to the group-riding issue. I get nervous just by riding on the bike lane with other cyclists. I get nervous just by watching the bunch in the pro races during a sprint.
Then there was the one time I overtook a lady on her bike, our handlebars touched, and I sorta went flying out onto the road. Few cars, luckily, and I stayed upright.

But yeah, people who are on their phones while riding should be shot. Not just talking people on group-rides here, but also regular cyclists. Surely that text doesn't need to be answered now...

My phone turns into my bike computer when I ride. It's mounted on my handle bars....please don't shoot me. :p

I just got a new bike. It's a Mekk Primo 6.6. Full carbon frame, carbon semi deep dish wheels. Ultegra components, except for the handle bar and brakes. I haven't even ridden it yet. Can't wait though!

XqDeeJcug6TKnTPmNfHGgu9DUAY2ambdwfsnMpaqq5Rj3MddLi8DG6GVK7rEB002ySfZoByv-fE8huobqCllHC_8NNzjGFAWRpQnJurebDZxu79GuWPaMrKYKYwzjwIf0FSADl28l0nFyQBil-ewxcEdZkHQIVcGB31HtNbqojeIyoygWo2fIPPzpD3k21BEqaTLzfQa3tm7STrAp9zVnxvLSR5zAEFY_84Y0l43nPwSo-5kFdfjA4GY4Bn_O7QWIpPWsTxTWj5aoxYebHO8-tQ-cCwzqYxwrSG7TNp3VGgjCnAxhy4UqVebRkvr1hHT_zPNjJMWQask9JmsxscoB3fwvkHiJQ2KSW4xjkkkZyBkcPDLGO5PZmCdMXZ7CDiZi4cXdIw8EjxA6jJcAR_kV_TzHTYkZ1vMXp-xQ6mLXyYPXq4poYb0cMRwJ1jsXCZD0HvS-SHddpaHU9EmXilOTJsI461fjOY-M454pBCLBFGmB2uuEKR40IUBxWjtaLKuPW3BIlNV7ie2kHBaT3G03pEWpqnzlLYCWS570NE7lPaSxdJtUOBVHBVsNjRikKTW6SiiePOrGAozNHxSKlF2-PaXfsxqYqeF2_XmWt47jM6isIrTsU-g=w1000-h750-no

Jspear said:
RedheadDane said:

My phone turns into my bike computer when I ride. It's mounted on my handle bars....please don't shoot me. :p

I just got a new bike. It's a Mekk Primo 6.6. Full carbon frame, carbon semi deep dish wheels. Ultegra components. I haven't even ridden it yet. Can't wait though!

DwuQShh_IoPVNoNujBxIl2UH-IVJqEicT53STAossA6ebxZWi6qTQanN_KKCou8REQaEjDzeaeX_v65JVA_OWqAfyLiTa8pjruCgJ4o6P_UIBYMvmTLgr3y3z8_OdFZR9xE_agKw2i78rSJsy6pR_9T5cTg_4N-lChS5P_AWpHWExVQrLWm-ypH_5baR4vB66Ik_qHJXXkH2rOgqZ0QMIiaf40RUpLmqg-Bjxwg8H5N1WZGhNB3WW7XTcZV9Jd4xHkzUIvVnweJ8Qwg_XRGkuIxXG_Vilh29RghrZuQKneiaJKA1eEZeiRbGwSzWRmX6bB5B4IohPvTFrKXgQOEBgDg5oIpNB13Eme61PHMzVUiD466GdUDU0SlHcuc6QThpSi42Oxfbo_Usgvs9pABy3UCSQhW7RUjXBpZ1CSEtlkPG4p-KWXaiKu0jIeahhu6QvW0DqVuMft19oJy1gwT12akVpzVplYpDWENWXkZlsM_Qhv_Htxabp8BbG5NTa6ui3WvJ9J3CEa4RBmnogxdU8qUKBMDh1ZSsFkGEMLeIH7bYGWQfkzoC-EyGJZKAVWaqJlPjLgCuZkEQUQ8PuVnKHtU4IWR4Ek16A-0vtoa35RIMlW2PB4L1=w1000-h750-no
Very nice! :)

Jspear said:
RedheadDane said:

I just got a new bike. It's a Mekk Primo 6.6. Full carbon frame, carbon semi deep dish wheels. Ultegra components, except for the handle bar and brakes. I haven't even ridden it yet. Can't wait though!

DwuQShh_IoPVNoNujBxIl2UH-IVJqEicT53STAossA6ebxZWi6qTQanN_KKCou8REQaEjDzeaeX_v65JVA_OWqAfyLiTa8pjruCgJ4o6P_UIBYMvmTLgr3y3z8_OdFZR9xE_agKw2i78rSJsy6pR_9T5cTg_4N-lChS5P_AWpHWExVQrLWm-ypH_5baR4vB66Ik_qHJXXkH2rOgqZ0QMIiaf40RUpLmqg-Bjxwg8H5N1WZGhNB3WW7XTcZV9Jd4xHkzUIvVnweJ8Qwg_XRGkuIxXG_Vilh29RghrZuQKneiaJKA1eEZeiRbGwSzWRmX6bB5B4IohPvTFrKXgQOEBgDg5oIpNB13Eme61PHMzVUiD466GdUDU0SlHcuc6QThpSi42Oxfbo_Usgvs9pABy3UCSQhW7RUjXBpZ1CSEtlkPG4p-KWXaiKu0jIeahhu6QvW0DqVuMft19oJy1gwT12akVpzVplYpDWENWXkZlsM_Qhv_Htxabp8BbG5NTa6ui3WvJ9J3CEa4RBmnogxdU8qUKBMDh1ZSsFkGEMLeIH7bYGWQfkzoC-EyGJZKAVWaqJlPjLgCuZkEQUQ8PuVnKHtU4IWR4Ek16A-0vtoa35RIMlW2PB4L1=w1000-h750-no

What a Beast!

took my new bike up my local steep ramp and its bloody steep, a tough 8 minute effort, pleased I was just over a minute from my best time so pleased with it, Scotland got hit with a cold spell this week and it hit me like a brick, I was in bib shorts last weekend then this week I was back in winter gear...

Out riding in NW Durham Hills this afternoon, almost 70k and 1000m of ascent, from east Gateshead up to Wrenkenton then descent to team Valley up Silverhills (184m ascent avraging 7% with steep bits), then over lumps and bumps to Beamish, down and through a closed road and made my way up to Pontop Pike, descending to Lanchester hitting 70kph on descent, up Peth bank with its 20% ramp, and up and down pretty much all the way home.

Re:

rick james said:
took my new bike up my local steep ramp and its bloody steep, a tough 8 minute effort, pleased I was just over a minute from my best time so pleased with it, Scotland got hit with a cold spell this week and it hit me like a brick, I was in bib shorts last weekend then this week I was back in winter gear...

The weather has been very bipolar here in VA as well. Shorts, then pants, then shorts, than pants....literally. This winter has been the warmest I can remember. But we'd still have a spurt of cold days. Kinda annoying even though I did appreciate the warm days.

Re:

rick james said:
Logie Kirk? What bike? I should check Strava.

I've missed all this dry weather as I have my daughter for two weeks. Sneaking out on a club run tomorrow morning though

I can't see JSpear's new bike. Can someone repost it?

King Boonen said:
rick james said:
Logie Kirk? What bike? I should check Strava.

I've missed all this dry weather as I have my daughter for two weeks. Sneaking out on a club run tomorrow morning though

I can't see JSpear's new bike. Can someone repost it?

Yip the kirk, pure and utter hell when not fit on the bike.

got a 2017 Giant TCR advance pro 0....

TRENDING THREADS