• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Wounded Lion King

Curious to hear some thoughts on CN's article on Mario Cipollini, and the shadow that follow him that is doping.

I'm of the opinion that it's safe to assume that anyone who won anything of substance during that time did so doped. Some doped to their eyeballs, others just to keep up. But no one really won anything big clean, did they? Does anyone think otherwise? It would be nice if Mario confessed and cooperated with authorities, but I don't expect any more from him, if anything at all. I'm not sure what dragging him through the dirt accomplishes at this point.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I didnt read the entire article, but does it fail to mention that he tested positive for EPO in 1998?

Nevertheless, I thought he was a great character. Cycling doesnt have anything like him right now.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Curious to hear some thoughts on CN's article on Mario Cipollini, and the shadow that follow him that is doping.

I'm of the opinion that it's safe to assume that anyone who won anything of substance during that time did so doped. Some doped to their eyeballs, others just to keep up. But no one really won anything big clean, did they? Does anyone think otherwise? It would be nice if Mario confessed and cooperated with authorities, but I don't expect any more from him, if anything at all. I'm not sure what dragging him through the dirt accomplishes at this point.
What does any article want to accomplish?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I didnt read the entire article, but does it fail to mention that he tested positive for EPO in 1998?

Nevertheless, I thought he was a great character. Cycling doesnt have anything like him right now.

It does fail to mention his EPO positive from 1998.

His EPO fueled sprint train was one of the sickest things ever seen in sports.

Alpe d'Huez said:

Sadly, we just don't know either way. Hard to say so and so was 1oo% for sure doping, without anything to back it up with. I honestly don't know whether MC did or didn't.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
He is a sociopath who won many races and added a lot of excitement to the cycling world. As for the doping, I think that if you are going to go after riders for what happened 10+ years ago then there needs to be some kind of consistency. Try to identify as many dopers as possible and make them pay back some of the money they made (have some kind of formula based on how much they earned/prize money/sponsor contracts etc) to an anti-doping fund.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
who else knows the anecdote from AMGEN Tour of California when he was on Rock Racing?

Well, he was at the team hotel after the stage, and "hosting" some of the podium models in a "private party". Now a fan knocked on his door, and asked Cipo to sign his Credit Lyonnais stuffed teddy bear lyon.

Well, Cipo drew a set of genitals on the stuffed lyon with the sharpie. That is damn funny if i did not chinese whisper apocyphal, but it reads true, and sounded true, so i am running with it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cipollini was so doped, one has to wonder how he would've done in a clean field. The guy is not interesting to me. Never had much time for the guy. He was a character, not one the i liked, and sport needs characters.....

He should admit his doping to its full extent, but he won't.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ruby heartbreaker ftw

SilvioBerlusconi-rubyheartb_540x405.jpg

TRENDING THREADS