• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Theo Bos - causing another accident

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 11, 2009
307
0
0
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that Bos would crash himself in the process. If he did do it on purpose I think we need to blame the manager just as much.

By the way, with the race leader crashing did Rabo gain anything?
 
Jul 14, 2009
2,498
0
0
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Dude, I don't give a toss about Theo Bos.

Youngest have you ever raced a madison ? Have you ever rec'd a hand sling? If so you understand that you counter steer away from what is pulling you. Bos grabbing the guys jersey/arm made him crash. Bos' action made it hard to react in time.The video could be totally out of context and Bos' action may been a payback from something earlier. I watched a similar crash after a rider was blocked in a feed zone and forced to come to a complete stop to get his bag. When trying to get a wheel good sprinters will knock you completely out of the way and often to the deck. Most riders are not willing to take themselves out to prove a point.
 
Jul 6, 2009
795
0
0
Visit site
watched the clip a few times never been involved in this argument before looks like some bull**** dirty riding to me. i have thought it over why would you do what he did i cant figure.
 
Nov 3, 2009
9
0
0
Visit site
after

I've seen the video and it's clear that Bos grabbed Impey's jersey and pulled him the the ground. On purpose? Yeah that's like the time I accidentally slept with my best friends little sister. ;)

Impey said that they shared a ambulance. He says that Bos didn't say a word to him. No apology?!!? Even once they were in a hospital you would think that Bos could go by the room and...

Also it doesn't matter if the race is The Tour de France or some local stage race the race leader gets respect! You obey the rules of the sport regardless of your level. Shaved your legs before?


I don't know about the crash in Rotterdamn... However if you slip down a the track because your were riding to slow on relief: amateur BS!! Does he belong racing a pro six day? yeah, people come to see him and hes a pro... will the promoters invite him again?

Does anyone know if Bos apologized for this one? Has he said anything?
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Visit site
BASIL USA said:
I've seen the video and it's clear that Bos grabbed Impey's jersey and pulled him the the ground. On purpose? Yeah that's like the time I accidentally slept with my best friends little sister. ;)

Impey said that they shared a ambulance. He says that Bos didn't say a word to him. No apology?!!? Even once they were in a hospital you would think that Bos could go by the room and...

Also it doesn't matter if the race is The Tour de France or some local stage race the race leader gets respect! You obey the rules of the sport regardless of your level. Shaved your legs before?


I don't know about the crash in Rotterdamn... However if you slip down a the track because your were riding to slow on relief: amateur BS!! Does he belong racing a pro six day? yeah, people come to see him and hes a pro... will the promoters invite him again?

Does anyone know if Bos apologized for this one? Has he said anything?

You are a joke!! Did you know that the Rotterdam Six has been infested with crashes...by most everyone...oh my, even guys that make their living riding the sixes? Bos is fine on the track in the sixes...crashes happen people...the sixes are not for the faint at heart.
 
BASIL USA said:
I don't know about the crash in Rotterdamn... However if you slip down a the track because your were riding to slow on relief: amateur BS!! Does he belong racing a pro six day? yeah, people come to see him and hes a pro... will the promoters invite him again?

Bos is hardly an amateur at track riding. He has won six World titles, and a silver Olympic medal.

Susan
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
so in conclusion..

the six day crash - these things happen in 6 day meetings.. get over it.
the impey crash - mindless thug, or moron at best

hurrah...
 
Jul 22, 2009
9
0
0
Visit site
You guys should check out a riders palmares before you call them an amatuer. Bos was all class and a very successful rider on the track. He's made one mistake of note on the road and I'm sure jersey-tugging, hand slings and the like are commonplace in the pro peleton, it's only because Impey crashed hard and was leading the tour that we heard about it.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
gath28 said:
You guys should check out a riders palmares before you call them an amatuer. Bos was all class and a very successful rider on the track. He's made one mistake of note on the road and I'm sure jersey-tugging, hand slings and the like are commonplace in the pro peleton, it's only because Impey crashed hard and was leading the tour that we heard about it.

I think only one person used the amatuer tag..

Erm hang slings, commonplace in pelaton???? I need to pay more attention..
 
Nov 3, 2009
9
0
0
Visit site
I know how many SPRINT world championships Bos won. I never herd of him winning a madison race? Tiger Woods might be a damn good pool player...

In this thread someone said Bos slipped down the banking. That action is what I'm calling amateur. That's the kind of thing that the pros should not be doing. I raced 6 amateur six days and watched 5 pro ones. I never saw a crash in the pros where a rider crashed without being near another rider, but I did in the amatuers. Was that clear? let me rephrase it: If your riding alone on the track and you fall down all by yourself and no one is near you: that's amateur BS...

Did he make any kind of a statement? Did he say anything to anyone? Were the Danes leading when he crashed them? Is this the second time he's knocked down the race leader?

Sitting in an ambulance with the race leader bleeding from his face because you pulled his jersey and not saying your sorry: What do you call that? Professional? I call that junior ranking amateur rookie BS!!
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
Visit site
BASIL USA said:
Sitting in an ambulance with the race leader bleeding from his face because you pulled his jersey and not saying your sorry: What do you call that? Professional? I call that junior ranking amateur rookie BS!!

Not saying sorry for what you feel was not your fault? You call that normal.
 
Jul 14, 2009
2,498
0
0
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The relevance being...?

Most but not all good sprinters develop their skills on the track. The Madison is a race that involves a great deal of body contact and bike handling. Cavendish and Bos are both great Madison riders. Bos is having a difficult time making the transition to the pavement. In a big track sprint (points race or miss and out) you might be sprinting against 20 guys on a good night,adding a hundred to the mix make Bos hit the ground pretty often, because he is in the crunch lots of the time when he falls so do lots of other people.
 
ak-zaaf said:
Not saying sorry for what you feel was not your fault? You call that normal.

I disagree, but that may be a matter of personality. We all get involved in accidents/incidents that are bad luck and no-ones fault. In such situations, I certainly do apologize (and the other part mostly apologize too) - that is a process in which you arrive to agree on what happened and put it behind you. One reason for apoligizing is that even if the incident is by chance, likely each part if acting smart/quick etc. could have made the incident not happen.

Now, I didn't intend to cause such a stir by posting. But given the commotion let me detail what went through my mind when reading about this incident.

1) Indeed, crashes happen often in 6-days, and this year in rotterdam frequently. So might well be nothing.

2) If indeed, as the link I provided suggests, Bos caused the crash by slipping down the track, then that is not particular skillful track racing. Just like whatever happened in turkey, definately wasn't successful accident prevention.

3) Hence, I'm curious to watch out for whether Bos has more crashes in the near future. I probably phrased my post too aggressively, since I didn't mean to judge him yet. Only say that statistics are building up against him.
 
hmronnow said:
3) Hence, I'm curious to watch out for whether Bos has more crashes in the near future. I probably phrased my post too aggressively, since I didn't mean to judge him yet. Only say that statistics are building up against him.

While the incident is of course a huge black mark on Bos, he still doesn't have anywhere near the amount of incidents that Djamolidine Abdoujaparov had. And while Abdoujaparov suffered the occasional relegation, and was one time even ejected from the Tour, noone ever questioned his presence or his future actions (until he got busted for drugs).
 

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
138
1
8,835
Visit site
From what I've read the crash was because of a puncture perhaps? Patrick Sercu, the organiser, was suggesting riders are using tubulars that are too light.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the track which is put together just for the six day and then broken down. A stray nail here or there could cause punctures.