• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Therapeutic Use Exemptions

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Seems to me it would be quite instructive to compile a list of known TUEs for cyclists or whoever, as their use among athletes will surely be at the maximum that WADA will validate or whatever. I would start, but none actually spring to mind.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Seems to me it would be quite instructive to compile a list of known TUEs for cyclists or whoever, as their use among athletes will surely be at the maximum that WADA will validate or whatever. I would start, but none actually spring to mind.

It seems a lot of the pros use enhalers which they have TUEs for.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is your chance to show us all what true insiders you are...

How about some specifics?? Who has (in)famously used or abused the TUE process?

How about some juicy post-dated TUE facts?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I was sort of hoping there was a public list TBH. Google says a couple of UFC fighters are getting TUEs for testosterone, which is no doubt playing the system, but is not that interesting.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Can't find a source, but I read [63] riders in the '06 Tour had some TUE. I suppose everyone knows that one though.

103 TUEs for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in MLB in 2007.

Tennis player Wayne Odesnik said he was going to apply for an exemption for HGH after he was busted by customs officers. IDK whether it is possible to get exempted for HGH. Seems to be possible for testosterone, steroids and EPO in some cases.

Also just noticed that Team Type 1 (insulin banned) is also sponsored by Sanofli who manufacture furosemide, a banned diuretic :D Just funny, like Amgen sponsoring ToC.

Another well known TUE is Petacchi's for salbutamol. Oscar Pereiro was the same. Jimmy Casper also had one for athsma meds.

Actually Bert and Riccos' notes for their high haemocrit are not the same as TUEs. Iban Mayo had a similair note issued by the UCI for high testosterone.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Everyone knows about the [63] riders? Who are they and what are their TUEs?

Or everyone knows "I heard but have no source"?

Not trying to pick on your statement, just pointing out that TUE specifics are hard to come by.

"Medical confidentiality" could certainly be sacrificed as a condition for granting the TUE. How about it, WADA? THAT would be a real advance. I would bet that the general fan - not to mention the general public at large - has NO IDEA that lots and lots of athletes have dodgy notes from their physicians and regularly take drugs that are on lists.

The TUE program seems to be a critical part of a determined, selective enforcement process. Not like that is a revelation, just saying. A little more transparency would be helpful here.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
That was sort of the point. You hear stories of cyclists with illnesses of one kind or another in their background, I just wonder if this is a higher number than average and how many are being medicated with 'useful' substances. Usual clinic speculation.

May 26, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
Google says a couple of UFC fighters are getting TUEs for testosterone, which is no doubt playing the system, but is not that interesting.

How is that not interesting? Those guys are getting TUEs for TRT doses of testosterone which could be as high as 250mg/wk.

Typical cyclists dose? 125mg/wk.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Tue

Has anyone ever noticed that for an elite athlete to be able to perform at such a high level, they require an inhaler????:eek:
To me that indicates a problem. If you have asthma, statistics indicate you probably won't reach the "elite" level. I remember kids growing up with asthma...they couldn't go outside and run if it was to hot for christ sake! Somehow that doesn't seem right. Also, for being fit, healthy athletes, they always have stomach issues or a cold...totally incapacitates them. Hell, I get up everyday with the bubble guts or a stuffy nose or sore back or whatever. I still ride my bike after work 4 times a week. Maybe its my lack of TUE's that holding me from making CAT 4 LOL!:rolleyes:

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Marit Bjørgen's exemption for asthma drugs

Speaking of asthma, Justyna Kowalczyk's fans go apoplectic at Marit Bjørgen's exemption to use an asthma drug. Bjørgen got the exemption at the begining of the 2009-2010 season and has been damn near unbeatable since. I honestly don't know if it gives her an unfair advantage or merely lets her realize her potential, i.e., her natural performance level without asthma. Anyone know anything about asthma drugs?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Pazuzu said:
Speaking of asthma, Justyna Kowalczyk's fans go apoplectic at Marit Bjørgen's exemption to use an asthma drug. Bjørgen got the exemption at the begining of the 2009-2010 season and has been damn near unbeatable since. I honestly don't know if it gives her an unfair advantage or merely lets her realize her potential, i.e., her natural performance level without asthma. Anyone know anything about asthma drugs?

Well the medication contains corticosteriods which can be part of a doping program. The TUE means that if you test positive for a drug which is part of a medication you have a TUE for then basically it doesn't count. The nefarious application of the TUE is not to allow for an abuse for asthma medication on its own, it's to provide an alibi for one of the components.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Caruut said:
Well the medication contains corticosteriods which can be part of a doping program. The TUE means that if you test positive for a drug which is part of a medication you have a TUE for then basically it doesn't count. The nefarious application of the TUE is not to allow for an abuse for asthma medication on its own, it's to provide an alibi for one of the components.

I'm hope that's not the case with Bjørgen. I'd hate to think that her extraordinary achievements over the past few seasons were obtained through nefarious application.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Rockets160 said:
Has anyone ever noticed that for an elite athlete to be able to perform at such a high level, they require an inhaler????:eek:
To me that indicates a problem. If you have asthma, statistics indicate you probably won't reach the "elite" level. I remember kids growing up with asthma...they couldn't go outside and run if it was to hot for christ sake! Somehow that doesn't seem right.

There are different types of asthma - exercise induced asthma is different from sensitivity to changes in temperature. I didn't realise I had anything wrong with my lungs until I started cycling. One ride with a couple of friends I could barely breath - my lungs had about one sixth of the capacity they normally do. Usually that doesn't happen but occasionally it can. Looking back I realise this had happened before, though far less severely, and I had just chalked it down as lack of fitness.

Also, for being fit, healthy athletes, they always have stomach issues or a cold...totally incapacitates them. Hell, I get up everyday with the bubble guts or a stuffy nose or sore back or whatever. I still ride my bike after work 4 times a week. Maybe its my lack of TUE's that holding me from making CAT 4 LOL!:rolleyes:

The extreme schedule of training and travelling absolutely destroys immune systems. Teams are really really careful about infections.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, hard to read that with a straight face..."her NATURAL potential, WITHOUT asthma." That would be like my natural potential as an NBA star, without my shortness.

Her NATURAL anything is "as-is, where-is".

I would get rid of the TUEs entirely. Why I am not head of the UCI, I suppose. As seen above, the TUE is a license to dope. If you can't race without it, you can't race. Sounds simple enough to me.

Objections?

love the fact some guy *****es about riders getting colds often. have you ever walked around at 4-6% bodyfat for extended periods with an extremely high training load? have you then stepped out and did that for 6+ hours in rain and cold? wonder how long until you get a cold / infection or other disease. it's pro sports, they are on the edge of what the body can handle (not at all 'healthy')

EDIT: Saw a rider at the back of the peloton pull out an enhaler out of his back pocket, take a puff and then starts moving back up the pack. that was a weird sight to say the least. think it was an euskatel rider but not sure.

TRENDING THREADS