• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"There are pills on the track"

http://beta.aftenbladet.no/100Sport...-jo-piller-pa-banen-386695_1.snd#.UgfiWL44Xct

The article is in Norwegian, but I'll translate the important points.

Norwegian pentathlete Ida Marcussen complains that there are pills on the track at the world championship of athletics.

When asked were she saw the pills, she said it was on the training track today in Moscow. She says she don't know what pills they were, but that she fears that a lot of her competitors are doping.

She then goes on saying of course she did not know what the pills were, could have been ibux (headache medicine), then her trainer Udelhoven says, no that was no ibux.

When asked if this destroys her motivation, she says she is not here to take the gold, just to see how well she can do. It's sad for those behind the medalists, but when even they are doped, well she says she won't cheat to get a medal.

Norwegian commentators are quoted saying she should concentrate on herself, and try to do her own best, not think about what the competitors do. Obviously they can't see what's going on, even With 4 out of top 5 from Jamaica on the 100m.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
There are also pills in the 7-11, in the grocery store, in vending machines in airports, and almost every medicine cabinet in the country.

Tic-Tacs look like pills, so do Mentos and Life Savers.

If she thinks a competitor would be so inept as to have his/her doping products on site at a practice track then it is a good thing she is world-class as an athlete and isn't trying to excel using her intelligence.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Armchaircyclist said:
http://beta.aftenbladet.no/100Sport...-jo-piller-pa-banen-386695_1.snd#.UgfiWL44Xct

The article is in Norwegian, but I'll translate the important points.

Norwegian pentathlete Ida Marcussen complains that there are pills on the track at the world championship of athletics.

When asked were she saw the pills, she said it was on the training track today in Moscow. She says she don't know what pills they were, but that she fears that a lot of her competitors are doping.

She then goes on saying of course she did not know what the pills were, could have been ibux (headache medicine), then her trainer Udelhoven says, no that was no ibux.

When asked if this destroys her motivation, she says she is not here to take the gold, just to see how well she can do. It's sad for those behind the medalists, but when even they are doped, well she says she won't cheat to get a medal.

Norwegian commentators are quoted saying she should concentrate on herself, and try to do her own best, not think about what the competitors do. Obviously they can't see what's going on, even With 4 out of top 5 from Jamaica on the 100m.

Was Bob Marley's face stamped on them?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The trainer Lukas Udelhoven said at least 50 % of the heptathletes are doped.

Some of the heptatletes are constantly hiding from the others. They have their own medical system, and a different morality and basic attitude. Then putting syringes into your arm is no problem, says Udelhoven

Armchaircyclist left out some in the quote about the pills on the track, and it made it sound nuttier than the original, in my opinion.

When I see how few there are who think natural training, ie not using medicine, but work to make themselves stronger instead of taking the easy way out, it would not surprise me if there are very many who are doped. There are pills on the track. You see it everywhere. I think it is part of the system to a number of nations, says Ida Marcussen to Fædrelandsvennen.

- Where were the pills?

- Today on the training pitch. I do not know what pills it was, and it may have been Ibux (an over-the-counter painkiller), but it shows how normal medication is to some, said Marcussen at the press gathering in Moscow Friday.

- No, it was not Ibux, says coach Lukas Udelhoven exasperated, and leaves little doubt about what kind of drugs he thinks it was.

neineinei: I think we quoted different articles, I saw that part from Udelhoven only later.

Anyway, I also saw that Ida Marcussen and her trainer quit cooperating With the Norwegian national team, when they wanted to test her for asthma. Obviously they don't believe that the asthma medicine for top athletes who are healthy, is a part of natural training.

Udelhoven is a real weirdo though. Him and Marcussen have done their own thing for a long time, and have thus a pretty strained relationship with the rest of the community and the federation. Obviously it's the same with her competitors too, since the rest of the female decathletes seems to be best friends, while she flat out says they are all doping.

I have a hard time believing they are so nonchalant with their doping as Marcussen seem to imply...But on the other hand -- half the field doping doesn't seem that implausible.

TRENDING THREADS