• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Young french riders have the big problems that everyone expects them to ride the tdf instead of the giro/vuelta. But because there are so much better riders in the tour they have problems to show their strengths. Pinot would be one of my top 3 favorites for this years vuelta if he wouldn't ride the tdf.
 
Jun 18, 2015
85
0
0
Ironcially I started a link last week under " Can anyone answer my question " Please read it, its been quite interesting. I am an English lad and I say that as Pinot is my favourite rider and not who you might presume Froome. So I am fairly bias towards Pinot but I believe due to his age he is still improving at a greater rate than anyone over 25 years old. I think he will win the TDF sometime maybe not this year but I think he will surprise many many doubters this year at the TDF. Hopefully he wins the TDS today with a good ITT and that will give him a good boost, like some have said on my thread maybe he entered the Tour de Suisse for 3 reasons 1) To avoid the french press 2) Knowing privately to himself he has improved he didnt want to show his main TDF favourites how much he has improved by entering the Dauphine 3) Maybe its time he started to get some respected Tour victories under his belt and in fact even 4) someone said on my thread he knows the routes on the TDS and was using the race as a training run for the TDF. I am quitely ( well not quietly on here!! ) confident he is going to Podium again this year in the TDF despite having 4 obvious threats in front of him in Contador Froome Quintana and Nibali, I feel Nibali ( despite again quietly training in the shadows like last year ) will not be the threat some think and secondly I think Contador will fade to grey in the last week thus leaving Froome and Quintana with 1 place up for grabs on the Podium between who? Pinot, Purito, Valverde, Garderen, Fuglsang, Talansky??????? Exactly for me Pinot is now better than all of them over 3 weeks of the best race in the world. Pinot to Podium again :)
 
Aug 31, 2012
5,221
0
0
Good climber, but not good enough to get enough of an advantage over classic specialist, time trial specialist, sprinter and fellow climber Thomas to win week long stage races, I think.
 
Re:

nelsonsmen71 said:
Ironcially I started a link last week under " Can anyone answer my question " Please read it, its been quite interesting. I am an English lad and I say that as Pinot is my favourite rider and not who you might presume Froome. So I am fairly bias towards Pinot but I believe due to his age he is still improving at a greater rate than anyone over 25 years old. I think he will win the TDF sometime maybe not this year but I think he will surprise many many doubters this year at the TDF. Hopefully he wins the TDS today with a good ITT and that will give him a good boost, like some have said on my thread maybe he entered the Tour de Suisse for 3 reasons 1) To avoid the french press 2) Knowing privately to himself he has improved he didnt want to show his main TDF favourites how much he has improved by entering the Dauphine 3) Maybe its time he started to get some respected Tour victories under his belt and in fact even 4) someone said on my thread he knows the routes on the TDS and was using the race as a training run for the TDF. I am quitely ( well not quietly on here!! ) confident he is going to Podium again this year in the TDF despite having 4 obvious threats in front of him in Contador Froome Quintana and Nibali, I feel Nibali ( despite again quietly training in the shadows like last year ) will not be the threat some think and secondly I think Contador will fade to grey in the last week thus leaving Froome and Quintana with 1 place up for grabs on the Podium between who? Pinot, Purito, Valverde, Garderen, Fuglsang, Talansky??????? Exactly for me Pinot is now better than all of them over 3 weeks of the best race in the world. Pinot to Podium again :)
I'd be very, very surprised if the swing between Nibali and Pinot is 8 minutes. You are seriously underestimating Nibali. The same guy who has podiumed his last 7 of his last 8 GT's is not going to be beaten by Pinot, who although is very good and very talented, is only 25.
 
Re:

nelsonsmen71 said:
Ironcially I started a link last week under " Can anyone answer my question " Please read it, its been quite interesting. I am an English lad and I say that as Pinot is my favourite rider and not who you might presume Froome. So I am fairly bias towards Pinot but I believe due to his age he is still improving at a greater rate than anyone over 25 years old. I think he will win the TDF sometime maybe not this year but I think he will surprise many many doubters this year at the TDF. Hopefully he wins the TDS today with a good ITT and that will give him a good boost, like some have said on my thread maybe he entered the Tour de Suisse for 3 reasons 1) To avoid the french press 2) Knowing privately to himself he has improved he didnt want to show his main TDF favourites how much he has improved by entering the Dauphine 3) Maybe its time he started to get some respected Tour victories under his belt and in fact even 4) someone said on my thread he knows the routes on the TDS and was using the race as a training run for the TDF. I am quitely ( well not quietly on here!! ) confident he is going to Podium again this year in the TDF despite having 4 obvious threats in front of him in Contador Froome Quintana and Nibali, I feel Nibali ( despite again quietly training in the shadows like last year ) will not be the threat some think and secondly I think Contador will fade to grey in the last week thus leaving Froome and Quintana with 1 place up for grabs on the Podium between who? Pinot, Purito, Valverde, Garderen, Fuglsang, Talansky??????? Exactly for me Pinot is now better than all of them over 3 weeks of the best race in the world. Pinot to Podium again :)
Pinot is my favorite rider as well. For reasons that I won't discuss on this side of CN, I believe he will start the TdF less...prepared than the Big-4. Can he win one day? I hope so. Can he podium this year? I doubt it. Top-5 will be a great achievement. He'll need another two years, maybe three to be better against the clock. And I'm afraid that FDJ will $uck at the TTT. He (and/or Bardet) have to attack, hope that one move will go the distance. Sucking back wheels won't cut it. He's still green: I saw him stop his attacks, look back, things that won't create a gap when riding against the Fab Four. He has a huge upside.

In Switzerland, he had one objective: win the marquis stage to boost his morale. Had he been riding harder on that stage, he would have build a much bigger lead on Gerrans, Spilak and Dumoulin, but would have most certainly been out-kicked to the line by a valverdesque move. That's another thread on this forum: GC or stage? Building up for the Tour, his big stage win is better for confidence than the TdS win no stage win.
 
Apr 5, 2015
134
0
0
Re:

Simurgh said:
Great ride by the man today! Beating everyone in the big 4, hopefully he can keep it up to the mountains!
For sure the "winner" of today`s stage. Considering to place a bet. Odds to win it all at 21 doesn`t seem to bad. Still think FDJ will probably drop 1.30+ on the TTT, meaning he will have to be the strongest man in the mountains and that is a longshot of course.
 
Jun 18, 2015
85
0
0
Tonton said:
All big names in cycling, and even lesser riders (often for the wrong reasons :rolleyes: ) have a thread on this forum, but I couldn't find one dedicated to this very young rider with (already) three top-10 in GTs, my fellow Franc-Comtois Thibaut Pinot. Obviously the French public is starving for French GT contenders/winners. I like to mess with Netserk's signature, so: is Thibaut Pinot like Rubber Soul, really good and way underrated? He seems to have room for improvement, real talent, and he comes from a place where people work hard and are resilient. What is the ceiling? What do you think of his performances, what he did yesterday, today, and what do you anticipate tomorrow?
Tonton - you know my thoughts on my favourite rider from threads previous. I believe he will win and ive had £100 e/w on him @ 33-1 , his odds after today have already been slashed to between 14-1 and 20-1 depending on your bookmaker. This TT proves and much he has improved but also how much he held back on the Tour Suisse TT. Last year he was the only consistent finisher with the leaders on mountain stages. His stage in the queens stage at Suisse was impressive. I also noted whereas the commentators missed it that today in the TT at half way he had dropped lots of time and was set for a 16min 15 time, then with just 4km to go he had only improved to look set for a 16 min time but then he finished 15 37 so he had alot of energy saved for the closing stages and meant he has matured in the thought process of how to ride a TT. Maillot Jaune this year and the best thing is he is my fav rider, he will make France happy, me 3k and probably best of all he will surprise the hell out of 99% of this forum. I have seen the opinion of this forum on a thread i started and most think he will be very lucky to be 5th which I just think is hilarious for the opinion of cycling fans and experts! Podium for sure :)
 
nelsonsmen71 said:
Tonton said:
All big names in cycling, and even lesser riders (often for the wrong reasons :rolleyes: ) have a thread on this forum, but I couldn't find one dedicated to this very young rider with (already) three top-10 in GTs, my fellow Franc-Comtois Thibaut Pinot. Obviously the French public is starving for French GT contenders/winners. I like to mess with Netserk's signature, so: is Thibaut Pinot like Rubber Soul, really good and way underrated? He seems to have room for improvement, real talent, and he comes from a place where people work hard and are resilient. What is the ceiling? What do you think of his performances, what he did yesterday, today, and what do you anticipate tomorrow?
Tonton - you know my thoughts on my favourite rider from threads previous. I believe he will win and ive had £100 e/w on him @ 33-1 , his odds after today have already been slashed to between 14-1 and 20-1 depending on your bookmaker. This TT proves and much he has improved but also how much he held back on the Tour Suisse TT. Last year he was the only consistent finisher with the leaders on mountain stages. His stage in the queens stage at Suisse was impressive. I also noted whereas the commentators missed it that today in the TT at half way he had dropped lots of time and was set for a 16min 15 time, then with just 4km to go he had only improved to look set for a 16 min time but then he finished 15 37 so he had alot of energy saved for the closing stages and meant he has matured in the thought process of how to ride a TT. Maillot Jaune this year and the best thing is he is my fav rider, he will make me 3k and probably best of all he will surprise the hell out of 99% of this forum. I have seen the opinion of this forum on a thread i started and most think he will be very lucky to be 5th which I just think is hilarious for the opinion of cycling fans and experts!
So Pinot's corner is getting bigger and bigger every day. Good to hear that. I'd really like him to win the TdF, I just don't think he can do it this year. The best thing about him is that he overcame his fear of descents, he's still young and is only going to get better. I expect him, Quintana, Aru and Majka to make some brilliant races in years to come.
 
Re:

Tonton said:
Yes, great ITT for Pinot. Beating Dawg and Bertie is no small feat. Nairo fared better than I thought. Podium for Pinot? For sure he's strong. Alors pourquoi pas?
No, I think he'll lose time in the mountains to his main rivals, but he'll be very close.

Of course, that relies on everyone reaching the mountains...
 
nelsonsmen71 said:
Tonton - you know my thoughts on my favourite rider from threads previous. I believe he will win and ive had £100 e/w on him @ 33-1 , his odds after today have already been slashed to between 14-1 and 20-1 depending on your bookmaker. This TT proves and much he has improved but also how much he held back on the Tour Suisse TT. Last year he was the only consistent finisher with the leaders on mountain stages. His stage in the queens stage at Suisse was impressive. I also noted whereas the commentators missed it that today in the TT at half way he had dropped lots of time and was set for a 16min 15 time, then with just 4km to go he had only improved to look set for a 16 min time but then he finished 15 37 so he had alot of energy saved for the closing stages and meant he has matured in the thought process of how to ride a TT. Maillot Jaune this year and the best thing is he is my fav rider, he will make France happy, me 3k and probably best of all he will surprise the hell out of 99% of this forum. I have seen the opinion of this forum on a thread i started and most think he will be very lucky to be 5th which I just think is hilarious for the opinion of cycling fans and experts! Podium for sure :)
He's my favorite rider too, I'm from Franche-Comte like him, born just a few miles from where he comes from. I want him to win. I'm one of those "hilarious" ones as you wrote, I have him 4th in the "predict the top-5" thread. He finished super strong today, he looked good, strong. He looked like a podium guy for sure.

The first week and the TTT will be super important. I won't say anything bad about FDJ: Marc Madiot in his blog said that he goes on CN everyday :D . Hi Marc!

Good luck on your bet. There's still a long way to Paris, but what a good start. Ideally he can be on the good side of a bordure and FDJ limit the damage in the ITT. I believe, I believe, I believe!!!
 
Jul 2, 2015
336
0
0
Great ride by Pinot. Now, let us hope he survives stage 4 and the TTT stage without too much time loss. His teammates must step up big time here.
 
Jun 27, 2015
67
0
0
Re:

Punkan said:
Great ride by Pinot. Now, let us hope he survives stage 4 and the TTT stage without too much time loss. His teammates must step up big time here.
Indeed, but how strong is his team really? I see Pinot as the dark horse in this years TDF , and its about time a french gets on Podium again!! His team though, might be the fall..
 
Mar 10, 2009
2,164
0
0
Re: Re:

concorde said:
Punkan said:
Great ride by Pinot. Now, let us hope he survives stage 4 and the TTT stage without too much time loss. His teammates must step up big time here.
Indeed, but how strong is his team really? I see Pinot as the dark horse in this years TDF , and its about time a french gets on Podium again!! His team though, might be the fall..
At least he's got Madiot calling the shots from the team car. That'll help during the classics stages between now and the TTT. #wishfulthinking
 
This year pinot already won mtf´s in two different world tour races and now he is was one of the best gc riders in an ITT beating nibali, froome and contador. This could be an epic tour for him.
 
Don't think he wins it this year already, but I strongly believe in his chanches of finishing on the podium again. Though this time by virtue of strenght on the road rather than luck.
 
Jul 4, 2015
417
0
0
He seems to have peeked way to erly on in the race, has no temates to help him out in the montains, expect him to fade week 2 onwards finishing around 10-15.
 
Jul 2, 2013
441
0
4,280
Re: Re:

concorde said:
Punkan said:
Great ride by Pinot. Now, let us hope he survives stage 4 and the TTT stage without too much time loss. His teammates must step up big time here.
Indeed, but how strong is his team really? I see Pinot as the dark horse in this years TDF , and its about time a french gets on Podium again!! His team though, might be the fall..
They got 2nd and 3rd last year. ;)
 
Jun 18, 2015
85
0
0
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
He seems to have peeked way to erly on in the race, has no temates to help him out in the montains, expect him to fade week 2 onwards finishing around 10-15.
LMAO!!!! Peaked too early, the worst statement ive ever heard!!! Peaked too early stage 1 comedy brilliant!!!! Pinot will win the TDF 2015, people on this forum are very bad sporting analysts, they forget 2 important things 1 that sport is always more open than it ever looks anyone can on their day beat anyone with the right forces and 2 in the TDF , the maillot jaune has mystical powers. It makes riders perform 10,20 even 30% better than their form suggests and that despite being a team that should lose 1 or even 2 mins in a ttt when they are riding for and with a rider who they know has the TDF in his grasp they will out perform , the greatest team performance in any sport is in cycling and it is the 2008 Carlos Sastre team win under Bjarne Riis Team SaxoBank, Carlos was never rated by anyone, i seemed to be the only one , but he did it and they did it, no sport should be under estimated or a team or person, anyone can beat anyone. This forum should learn that philosphy. Pinot can win this TDF , right here right now :) lol
 
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
He seems to have peeked way to erly on in the race, has no temates to help him out in the montains, expect him to fade week 2 onwards finishing around 10-15.
Last year he had no team mates either and finished 3rd. 10-15? I would bet money, my friend :cool: . He won't fade: actually last year he was really strong week 3. We can't talk about peaking early (it's too early :D ). Let's not get carried away either: it's stage 1. We can't talk about a podium finish just yet. But for sure, he looks good.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS