• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Metabolol said:
So one could ask is the TDF actually killing French cycling? Has too many eggs been put in the same basket? Or is it just a symptom of the well drying up?

Sylvain Chavanel was killed by that belief.

Said he loved racing Paris-Roubaix in 2001 (52th) but didn't take part in it until 2009.
He didn't race Ronde van Vlaanderen until 2008...

Gosh! I got mixed emotions: great ride, nice podium, but call me greedy I was expecting more. He looked really strong, attacked and responded to attacks, spent a lot of energy that may have cost him in the final 5K. That's racing. Bravo Thibaut.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Tonton said:
Gosh! I got mixed emotions: great ride, nice podium, but call me greedy I was expecting more. He looked really strong, attacked and responded to attacks, spent a lot of energy that may have cost him in the final 5K. That's racing. Bravo Thibaut.
I think he spends so much energy because he fears that otherwise he'll be gapped on the descents, the fear of loosing time on the descents makes him race aggressive.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Tonton said:

Moreno dropped him on the San Fermo. 3rd was the best place he could get.

He's not explosive enough to be a real classics contender. That's why Lombardia is his best shot, because that's more for climbers then real classic riders. In Liege, Fleche and Amstel he doesn't stand a chance.

But great perfomance today.

Arredondo said:
Tonton said:

He's not explosive enough to be a real classics contender. That's why Lombardia is his best shot, because that's more for climbers then real classic riders. In Liege, Fleche and Amstel he doesn't stand a chance.

Agree. The longest, second to last climb suited his diesel style better, the last one was shorter: not his cup of tea. It is his MO, as seen at the TDS or on la Croix de Fer: he takes a while to get going. Yet, on the San Fernando, he dropped all but Moreno, so props to him. His weaknesses are greatly exaggerated: it's in the descent of the Croix de Fer that he won l'Alpe stage, and today he hardly lost any time to Nibali or the Valverde group.

Sure that winning the monuments you mentioned would be very hard for him. But the GDL one day, I think he will.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Tonton said:
Arredondo said:
Tonton said:

Agree. The longest, second to last climb suited his diesel style better, the last one was shorter: not his cup of tea. It is his MO, as seen at the TDS or on la Croix de Fer: he takes a while to get going. Yet, on the San Fernando, he dropped all but Moreno, so props to him. His weaknesses are greatly exaggerated: it's in the descent of the Croix de Fer that he won l'Alpe stage, and today he hardly lost any time to Nibali or the Valverde group.

Sure that winning the monuments you mentioned would be very hard for him. But the GDL one day, I think he will.

Sure, one day he will get his chance. Perhaps he should try a same approach he did this year, so no Vuelta and a light racing schedule after the Tour. He's got the racing attitude to win it.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Great ride today, he looked really strong. Pinot vs Aru vs Quintana looks like it could be a thing :)

At the Giro? Some good TTer might be in the mix as well. Will get 3-4 minute handicap with time trials.
BMC should send TJ to Giro instead of having both him and Porte aim for the Tour (although I do hope that TdF will have even more TTs than Giro)

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I want to see Pinot in the Giro next year. This guy can climb and he is not bad at TTing. Give him a strong team and give him the right opportunities and he can do something really good (win!) at the Giro or Vuelta.

From today:
163213_PIC562037967.jpg

Still room for improvement but its going in the right direction.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/pinot_aiming_for_podium_repeat/

It is safe to say that podium itself won't happen, unless one of the Big 3 crashes, but his goal about reaching as close as possible to the podium (probably Contador, Quintana, Froome in random order) is deliberate. It should IMO be all about stepping up from second tier (Aru/Valverde/Purito) to get as close to Contador, Quintana and Froomes level as possible.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Pinot is in some third tier below Aru/Valverde/Purito though.

I have to disagree. I know that he wouldn't have been on the podium in 2014, if it wasn't for top contenders crashing, but he did beat Valverde who's IMO a slightly better GC rider than Purito. He was certainly with Majka the top 3 best climbers that year, and he was the only one who dropped Nibali that year (or as some claim; he stopped 'cause he wanted a bottle, and he didn't bother losing 3 seconds to Contador in Géradmer either) .

Furthermore his showing in the last part of this years Tour was pretty good, and he while was clearly being behind Quintana and Froome, he did stay with the Valverde/Contador group on La Toussuire.

I think that it is very close between Aru and Pinot (2 seconds between them in the one-day race Milano-Torino), and right now I think they are pretty much on the same level. They have only met in a GT once (Vuelta 2014 Aru ended 5th while Pinot DNF after riding the Tour), but that isn't indicative of their level.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Pinot is no where near Aru's level, he can climb well on his day but no where near the likes of Froome, Quitana or in form Contador; Aru on the other hand is just blow this lot. IMO the best Pinot can hope is a top 10 and a stage win like last year.

TRENDING THREADS