• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jspear said:
Tonton said:
Check him out on Strava, not messing around, and with a multi-national following. BTW, there's no data missing with Thibaut Pinot, it's all in the open. Go Thibaut!

I'm glad I don't live where he does...I'd never (and prob most other people) hold the lead in any Strava segments he has done. :D

You look quite good on a bike IMO. I live pretty close to where YOU live. In the spring, I'll give a shot at that climb in PA ;) .

gerundium said:
Jspear said:
Tonton said:
Check him out on Strava, not messing around, and with a multi-national following. BTW, there's no data missing with Thibaut Pinot, it's all in the open. Go Thibaut!

I'm glad I don't live where he does...I'd never (and prob most other people) hold the lead in any Strava segments he has done. :D

you can crush some downhill segments ;)

Lol....true.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-open-to-offers-when-fdj-contract-expires

Unless Demare finally delivers and new talent emerges (?), FDJ will have no choice but do what Thibaut says (i.e Giro-Vuelta). He needs a stronger team: can FDJ, with a bigger budget, give him enough support? Losing 2-3 minutes at every TTT is not good. Not being able to be at the front of the race is not good. Et caetera...

Maybe the question is: what team would be interested in Thibaut Pinot? I can imagine a few, and I don't like the idea of him with Sky or come-back Bjarne...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Tonton said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-open-to-offers-when-fdj-contract-expires

Unless Demare finally delivers and new talent emerges (?), FDJ will have no choice but do what Thibaut says (i.e Giro-Vuelta). He needs a stronger team: can FDJ, with a bigger budget, give him enough support? Losing 2-3 minutes at every TTT is not good. Not being able to be at the front of the race is not good. Et caetera...

Maybe the question is: what team would be interested in Thibaut Pinot? I can imagine a few, and I don't like the idea of him with Sky or come-back Bjarne...
Reichenbach should be a great superdomestique/back-up plan, so he should have better support in the mountains.
Of course it would be even better if they'd also send a fresh Geniez and a fresh Elissonde to the Tour to help him...

Almost a perfect start. :(
But promising.
CaDx4phWYAEUSad.jpg

Tonton said:
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but something tells me that '16 will be a great year for Thibaut. Not a bad start...

That's what everyone says at this point about their favorite riders/teams, it's the most positive time of the year! Some will be severely disappointed. But the queen stages of Romandie, Suisse and Tour is pretty *** impressive, lets hope he can build on that, altho I must admit I am more of a Bardet-guy (everyone had to chose somewhat in 2014, didnt they) :p

Very true: "it's the most wonderful time of the year". I can't help but note that he (and Devenyns) broke away in the descent of the Col des Cretes :cool: . And his sprint, although not a vintage Abdou, wasn't too shabby either. I believe, I believe, I believe :) .

Another strong showing for Thibaut, second behind Coppel on the final stage of l'Etoile de Besseges (ITT), confirming his improvement against the clock, beating JCP by 2 seconds and finishing 17 seconds ahead of Chavanel. And a 3rd place/podium on the final GC.

FYI, an article written by Clément Guillou and published in Le Monde back in January. Some interesting pieces of info.

http://www.lemonde.fr/cyclisme/article/2016/01/02/ils-feront-2016-julien-pinot-le-grand-frere_4840878_1616656.html

1. Julien Pinot doing research aiming at increasing Thibaut's resistance to heat.

Cet hiver, il s’est documenté sur la tolérance à la chaleur, que Thibaut Pinot supporte mal, un vrai point faible quand l’objectif majeur de la saison est invariablement placé au mois de juillet.

2. Thibaut wants to stay with FDJ, doesn't care about a raise, but he wants the budget to increase so the team can be stronger and better support him.

Des contacts ont été pris ailleurs, mais « le choix numéro un » reste la FDJ. Ce ne sera pas une question d’argent, assure le grand frère, mais il faudra que le budget augmente « pour lui permettre d’avoir une équipe encore plus solide à ses côtés.

3. According to this article, the Pinot brothers proposed the upcoming French Championship course. I'm surprised, and if I were Bardet or another top-French rider, I wouldn't be happy about having the race on a course designed by Pinot, in Pinot's backyard (i.e. where he trains everyday). Weird.

Ensuite, il sera temps pour les deux hommes de cocher les objectifs qu’ils se sont fixés lors d’un programme estival gargantuesque : les championnats de France à Vesoul sur un circuit qu’ils ont proposé, les Jeux olympiques – course en ligne et contre-la-montre – et le Tour de France, dont le parcours « lui correspond mieux que la saison dernière, avec moins de pièges

Less tricky of a TdF course in '16 vs. '15, as it concludes. On the paper, yes. But somehow, every year sh#t happens to some of the favorites...

Good race he has ridden in Portugal. Just a handful of seconds after Contador (in GC). Every day we get closer to the Tour, the more I get excited for what Thibaut can do! He has IMO always been in second tier (1st tier being the Big 4), but that gap may be closing bit by bit. It seems that Pinot and Aru are almost at the same level, so a top 5 in le Tour isn't a certainty..well, we'll see!

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Simurgh said:
Good race he has ridden in Portugal. Just a handful of seconds after Contador (in GC). Every day we get closer to the Tour, the more I get excited for what Thibaut can do! He has IMO always been in second tier (1st tier being the Big 4), but that gap may be closing bit by bit. It seems that Pinot and Aru are almost at the same level, so a top 5 in le Tour isn't a certainty..well, we'll see!
Juat a big lol... aru and pinot in the same level???

Re:

Simurgh said:

Agree. Now, I didn't like Aru throwing the elbow to save his second place today. I wish we could have watched the last climb: knowing Thibaut the diesel, in such a short climb, must have had a lot of riders ahead of him before getting into his rhythm. He finished strong. Overall, a pretty good week. And from a team standpoint, Demare got a win last week, Vichot won today, FDJ won an TTT, the team was in front at the Volta today, all good signs for '16.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Simurgh said:

Is there anything so ridiculous about that? Before last season, no one would have been surprised about that statement, at all (I assume you're suggesting Aru's the better one of the two) - third place at the Tour beats third place at the Giro, after all. Aru also has a much stronger team.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
portugal11 said:
Simurgh said:

Is there anything so ridiculous about that? Before last season, no one would have been surprised about that statement, at all (I assume you're suggesting Aru's the better one of the two) - third place at the Tour beats third place at the Giro, after all. Aru also has a much stronger team.
Third place in tour only because the competition was very weak. Last year, he wasn't top 10 and finish almost half an hour to froome. Aru is wat more consistent and he is a gt winner. Pinot will never be a gt winner

Re:

carolina said:
I really like pinot, it's just a shame that his descending skills suck and he struggles to handle the pressure.

Actually, it's a shame that he's french. Giro-Vuelta would be better for him this year.

I think that he stated his desire to ride the Giro next year (about some time ago he did that), so we will see him battle for GT victory, especially if the weather is cold as he likes it.

TRENDING THREADS