• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Cannibal72 said:
portugal11 said:
Simurgh said:
Good race he has ridden in Portugal. Just a handful of seconds after Contador (in GC). Every day we get closer to the Tour, the more I get excited for what Thibaut can do! He has IMO always been in second tier (1st tier being the Big 4), but that gap may be closing bit by bit. It seems that Pinot and Aru are almost at the same level, so a top 5 in le Tour isn't a certainty..well, we'll see!
Juat a big lol... aru and pinot in the same level???

Is there anything so ridiculous about that? Before last season, no one would have been surprised about that statement, at all (I assume you're suggesting Aru's the better one of the two) - third place at the Tour beats third place at the Giro, after all. Aru also has a much stronger team.
Third place in tour only because the competition was very weak. Last year, he wasn't top 10 and finish almost half an hour to froome. Aru is wat more consistent and he is a gt winner. Pinot will never be a gt winner

Last year his Tour could have been a complete failure with crashes and punctures, but he was riding very well in the 3rd week, which culminated on the Alpe.

Pinot has a better time trial than Aru, and with 2 of them in le Tour, he will already have an advantage. In the mountains they seem to be very close to each other. Cobo is a GT winner too, but it didn't go very well after 2011, did it? I get that it is a big deal to win a GT, of course it is, but it can never stand alone as an argument (if he had won multiple like Nibali/Contador/Froome, then you could say that he's experienced)

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Simurgh said:
portugal11 said:
Cannibal72 said:
portugal11 said:
Simurgh said:
Good race he has ridden in Portugal. Just a handful of seconds after Contador (in GC). Every day we get closer to the Tour, the more I get excited for what Thibaut can do! He has IMO always been in second tier (1st tier being the Big 4), but that gap may be closing bit by bit. It seems that Pinot and Aru are almost at the same level, so a top 5 in le Tour isn't a certainty..well, we'll see!

Is there anything so ridiculous about that? Before last season, no one would have been surprised about that statement, at all (I assume you're suggesting Aru's the better one of the two) - third place at the Tour beats third place at the Giro, after all. Aru also has a much stronger team.
Third place in tour only because the competition was very weak. Last year, he wasn't top 10 and finish almost half an hour to froome. Aru is wat more consistent and he is a gt winner. Pinot will never be a gt winner

Last year his Tour could have been a complete failure with crashes and punctures, but he was riding very well in the 3rd week, which culminated on the Alpe.

Pinot has a better time trial than Aru, and with 2 of them in le Tour, he will already have an advantage. In the mountains they seem to be very close to each other. Cobo is a GT winner too, but it didn't go very well after 2011, did it? I get that it is a big deal to win a GT, of course it is, but it can never stand alone as an argument (if he had won multiple like Nibali/Contador/Froome, then you could say that he's experienced)
Aru is a multiple gt podium. Pinot only has a tour podium and this wouldn't happenned if contador and froome didn't fall. The second place was peraud :( :eek:

I also think Aru and Pinot are pretty much on the same level. Aru GT palmares are little misleading because he hasn't done the Tour, while on the other hand Pinot has peaked for the Tour every year where of course is harder to win or reach the podium. Pinot's climbing ability is underrated IMO. He is the better TT rider, he is better in other races beside the GTs and is on form all year long. What Aru has on him is consistency over the three weeks of a GT. Sure he has a Vuelta win that tops everything Pinot has done. And that's why I say they are close, otherwise Pinot would be ahead in my view.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
It's probably not a great idea to denigrate Pinot for having a GT podium over a weak field and then bringing in Aru's GT victory. He won that Vuelta narrowly over a 35 year old having been climbing on the same level, or worse, than Tom Dumoulin until the final competitive stage. Tom Dumoulin, not a noted climber. Not to undermine the quality of his achievement, but it's really not fair to make that argument against Pinot.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

portugal11 said:
Simurgh said:

Yeah, why not? I actually think Pinot is a better rider and I hope he'll prove that in coming years, although to be honest Aru is ahead now in terms of results

Mr.White said:
portugal11 said:
Simurgh said:

Yeah, why not? I actually think Pinot is a better rider and I hope he'll prove that in coming years, although to be honest Aru is ahead now in terms of results

Aru is a better climber - Pinot has him on the TTing. Obviously climbing is the better asset to have when it comes to winning gt's.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
Aru is way more consistent than pinot and pinot is a very dumb rider, he suffers from bad position, bad descending skills,etc

Seriously, if you don't find Pinot's descending a little adorable, I think you're a little heartless. Also, given that Aru has had an incredible team behind him to support him or chase down attacks, there's not a fair basis for comparison as to tactical ability.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
In my perspetive pinot is overrated because france hasn't a decent gt rider since jalabert and a tour contender since laurent fignon. I doubt that pinot will make top 5 in le tour

Re:

portugal11 said:
Aru is way more consistent than pinot and pinot is a very dumb rider, he suffers from bad position, bad descending skills,etc

Yet he dropped the yellow jersey group on the DESCENT of the Croix de Fer to win l'AdH, kept his gap in the final descent to podium the GDL, at the GP La Marseillaise took off in the descent but lost the sprint...ahahaha :p

That shows you don't know a thing about Pinot, buddy. Remember, not too long ago, how he supposedly sucked in ITT? Even after the last ITT in '14, when he did much better than Valverde for example. Old reputations die hard.

Bad position? Better than Froome's, and Froome won two TdF. Who cares?

He's dumb. Says who? You?

Give me a f$@#ing break!!!

Re:

portugal11 said:
In my perspetive pinot is overrated because france hasn't a decent gt rider since jalabert and a tour contender since laurent fignon. I doubt that pinot will make top 5 in le tour

Pinot and Bardet are definitely decent or above GT rider, especially Pinot. He seems to be improving every year and has a podium under his belt. He was riding superbly last year, apart from the Tour, but still managed to win a stage. And what stage he decided to win.

Im more of a Bardet-fan, but I want to see Pinot to well, especially in the Tour. The more the merrier.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

carolina said:
how do you know aru is not as dumb as pinot?

aru has several experienced riders around him and they garantee that he doesn't make stupid decisions during the race. pinot doesn't. he barely has anyone that can follow him during a climb!
Podemos discutir isto no site do forumciclismo

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:

He was 3rd already, and I'm sure he'll reach the podium again. By the way I think that he is better GT rider than Jalabert.

Edit: And don't give me that s..t how Peraud was 2nd and competition was weak in that Tour, cause if I remember correctly present were Valverde, TJ, Purito, Majka, etc, so pretty good field.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:

Yet he dropped the yellow jersey group on the DESCENT of the Croix de Fer to win l'AdH, kept his gap in the final descent to podium the GDL, at the GP La Marseillaise took off in the descent but lost the sprint...ahahaha :p

That shows you don't know a thing about Pinot, buddy. Remember, not too long ago, how he supposedly sucked in ITT? Even after the last ITT in '14, when he did much better than Valverde for example. Old reputations die hard.

Bad position? Better than Froome's, and Froome won two TdF. Who cares?

He's dumb. Says who? You?

Give me a f$@#ing break!!!
Pinot said one that he fears to be in front of peloton, he thinks crashes are more frequent in front of peloton than in the middle. And he is a bad descender, he,s better than 2 years ago but he continues bad

portugal11 said:
carolina said:
how do you know aru is not as dumb as pinot?

aru has several experienced riders around him and they garantee that he doesn't make stupid decisions during the race. pinot doesn't. he barely has anyone that can follow him during a climb!
Podemos discutir isto no site do forumciclismo

Podemos discutir, podemos discutir. Get a clue before discussing. I doubt you ever watched him race, considering that you don't get broadcasts of races taking place in your own country. You'd know what you're talking about. You might even like Phil and Paul. Come on!

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:

And Slovakia hasn't had a decent classics rider since ever, and yet Peter Sagan seems to be riding around in the rainbow jersey.

TRENDING THREADS