• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
carolina said:
how do you know aru is not as dumb as pinot?

aru has several experienced riders around him and they garantee that he doesn't make stupid decisions during the race. pinot doesn't. he barely has anyone that can follow him during a climb!
Podemos discutir isto no site do forumciclismo

Podemos discutir, podemos discutir. Get a clue before discussing. I doubt you ever watched him race, considering that you don't get broadcasts of races taking place in your own country. You'd know what you're talking about. You might even like Phil and Paul. Come on!
I'm waiting for le tour and pinor will show once again that he isn't a future gt winner. In tour 2015, many french fans went back to earth and this year will be the same thing.

portugal11 said:
Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
carolina said:
how do you know aru is not as dumb as pinot?

aru has several experienced riders around him and they garantee that he doesn't make stupid decisions during the race. pinot doesn't. he barely has anyone that can follow him during a climb!
Podemos discutir isto no site do forumciclismo

Podemos discutir, podemos discutir. Get a clue before discussing. I doubt you ever watched him race, considering that you don't get broadcasts of races taking place in your own country. You'd know what you're talking about. You might even like Phil and Paul. Come on!
I'm waiting for le tour and pinor will show once again that he isn't a future gt winner. In tour 2015, many french fans went back to earth and this year will be the same thing.

I realllly like Pinot (Bardet as well) and I'd love to see him compete for the win a GT, but I can't see that happening right now. Maybe if he fully focuses on the Giro or Vuelta and he's in really great shape the entire race, but his team is indeed also lacking in support for such situation.

Kwibus said:
I realllly like Pinot (Bardet as well) and I'd love to see him compete for the win a GT, but I can't see that happening right now. Maybe if he fully focuses on the Giro or Vuelta and he's in really great shape the entire race, but his team is indeed also lacking in support for such situation.
And I agree with you. He needs a better team, and in l'Equipe, he made it very clear. Not asking for more $ for himself, but a bigger budget for a better squad. Also, the condition for him to re-sign with FDJ is lining him up for the '17 Giro.

He's only 25. Still plenty of time to improve, and he's improving. He'll be 26 next year, and he could be a factor at the Tour in '18. I sure hope so. He needs a better team, for sure. Aru is with Astana, we can all guess what goes on with Astana: I hope Pinot doesn't end up being the Charly Mottet of his generation.

Aru's 2014 already has been higher quality than Pinot's Tour podium. Did you forget how surprisingly close he stayed with Contador, Froome & Co. at the Vuelta? Meanwhile Pinot was blown away on nearly every col by Nibali during that years Tour.

Also how is Pinot s better tt rider? Aru improved significant in that discipline towards the Vuelta. What it's worth long time? We'll see. But both ain't no tt riders, but climbers at all. So it might still be the achilles verse of both.

So I have to agree: Aru is clearly the better cyclist for me. He has won a gt and he's definitely on the hot seat for the 2017 Giro if everything wents normal. He has prooved himself as a major gt contender within 2 years already. While Pinot hasn't done that yet, but is around since 2012 at the Tour.

And actually Aru does make stupid decisions very often. He tries to attack even if he ain't got the legs to do so. Happened multiple times at the Giro and also once at the Vuelta last year.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Aru has actually battled for GT wins, something which Pinot has never done as pressure is often killing him.

Aru's bad days are excellent compared to Pinot's. Pinot can be considered a better climber though, when both are at their top level.

My take on the Aru vs Pinot debate is that I think they're quite close in ability but Aru has a slight advantage. Climbing wise, I think they're very close when both at the top of their game. Aru might be a little better I think. Time trialing wise, Aru has been slightly better up to 2016 (although it's difficult to compare their results), but Pinot seems to have improved drastically this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he's better by some margin now. However, the main advantage that Aru has is what Pentacycle describes: Aru doesn't have as bad days as Pinot does. Mentally, Aru seems stronger.

pinot doesn't have such a well-organized and disciplined team around him as aru has which makes a big difference. we should watch aru in the tour for more correct assessment. though, it seems to be very difficult to compare their relative levels. today you have one level, tommorow - you have the other one. only the tour will judge.

Hard to tell who's better at this or that: very few head-to-head to compare the two. The rest is speculations: Aru fans may think one way, Pinot fans like me have a different point of view. We'll see in '16, with more head-to-head to come after the Volta Ao Algarve, that Pinot finished ahead of Aru in the GC. One battle. We shall see who wins the "war" for 2016 and beyond.

May 28, 2012
Visit site

infeXio said:
Pentacycle said:
Pinot can be considered a better climber though, when both are at their top level.

Eh? How?
Well, judging on his superb performances on some stages during the last two seasons. At moments incredible climbing speed against the best Nibali in 2014. His Alpe and Rettenbachferner performances also stand out. Aru has never given me an equal impression.

Tonton said:
On this video, Thibaut is 28 seconds behind Bertie. He finished strong, very strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NwdipGczhpA

He must have started the climb really bad :mad: ...

I took that times as well yesterday... but that is normal, Contador always start his attacks very strong, but at the end he face a little. Fro Aru is similar.

What is true is that Contador put to everybody long time yesterday. He wanst really strong in the overall, but in Malhao is his best year. I think Urán help him (not wanted),but anyway the difference is big. Contador is a better climber than Thomas, and respect Aru and Pinot, he is better in short climbs like this one, but 20 seconds is a big difference.

Re:

jens_attacks said:
from a watts perspective, aru is superior to pinot. there is no doubt about it
also pinot is much more fragile (see heat). aru is a killer.

I dont agree, psychically I think they are more or less equal. Aru is perhaps the slightly better climber, but Pinot is definitely the better TT'er. But you are right about the last thing. Aru defo is a killer, Pinot doesn't seem to have that in him on bad days.

Taxus4a said:
jens_attacks said:

I think they are very similar, I cant see any difference except Pinot is a worse descender.

pinot is shiit in hot weather. he needs again a chilly rainy tour like in 2014. he said it himself that the heat affects him.

pinot doesn't have the watts and the recovery of aru also (see monte grappa 2014, sestriere 2015). that is out of question.

thibaut is pure class but he will never win a grand tour (mainly because he seems too much a good guy).

Valv.Piti said:
jens_attacks said:

I dont agree, psychically I think they are more or less equal. Aru is perhaps the slightly better climber

i'm talking with the numbers in my hands.
in a week long race like suisse, pinot will beat aru. in 3 weeks, i give him zero chances

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
How is possible that people put pinot on thr same level than aru... aru's progression is way more impressive, he is a gt winner, has multiple gt podiums... he has stage wins beating the big boys "mano a mano". Pinot only had stage wins from breakaways (in gt's)

jens_attacks said:
in a week long race like suisse, pinot will beat aru. in 3 weeks, i give him zero chances

Pinot: TdF '12, age 21: 10th, Vuelta '13, age 22: 7th, Tdf '14, age 23: 3rd. It's not like he can't be competitive on a GT.

Page 17: I'm marking that post so I can, God willing, quote it in late July between two large sips of Champagne ;) .

Re:

portugal11 said:
How is possible that people put pinot on thr same level than aru... aru's progression is way more impressive, he is a gt winner, has multiple gt podiums... he has stage wins beating the big boys "mano a mano". Pinot only had stage wins from breakaways (in gt's)
Hesjedal is a GT winner too, so is Horner. That's besides the point. Aru gets tons of hype, not so much for Tibopino, so there's a perception for those who have not followed Pinot that Aru is, by far, a better rider. We'll see in '16, when they race the same races,which hasn't happened much so far. That will give us the answer. So far,head-to-head, including last week, Pinot is faring very well, thank you very much :cool: .

Aru has undergone a better development program than Pinot - French GC riders who ride for French teams are not allowed to develop because of public pressure - It's fantastic that Pinot is demanding his team strengthen their squad and allow him to ride the 2017 Giro. The sooner French GC contenders ride for non-French teams the better. The French public demand a French rider win the TDF, not a French rider who rides for a French team.

TRENDING THREADS