• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 144 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jakobsen is pretty mellow honestly. The initial stages of the comeback was pretty big in sports media here but since then I don't think Jakobsen has been running on sympathy points much.

I think with Jakobsen it was different. Of course there was the initial fear, first the hope that he'd at least have a normal life, then that he could return to racing to some degree, and finally now he's back at the top, almost better than before.

Reactions: noob
Is there any cyclist that the forum coalesce around as much as TP?

This thread is like a mountain stage choo choo train with Kwiatkowski leading the peloton: it's designed to keep everyone together.

The Remco thread on the otherhand is like a flat stage with crosswinds with Kwiatkowski leading the peloton: designed for bad breakups all over the place.

Exactly as I predicted :cool:...

In his post-race interview in l'Equipe, Thibaut declared that he had changed his focus following his accident. Now it's about having fun riding a bike and winning races.

We saw the same pattern in every stage race this year, like a dress rehearsal: forget the GC, let it come to you and if it doesn't, be it. Early on, be willing to trade time for safety and recovery. Pick your spots...and strike.

Tibopino has studied the art of the break, recorded two wins in the process, and we can expect more of the same in July.

I didn’t mean him touching the goats either XD

Get your mind out of the gutter!

screenshot_2022-04-21_at_16.36.56.png

There is clearly physical contact!
Also, he's being eaten by a goat.
Can't help but feeling like that photo might be slightly staged, though. Do pro cyclists usually wear team-issue clothing when they have goats climbing all over them? Of course, most pro cyclists probably rarely have goats climbing all over them...

Last edited:
Get your mind out of the gutter!

screenshot_2022-04-21_at_16.36.56.png

There is clearly physical contact!
Also, he's being eaten by a goat.
Can't help but feeling like that photo might be slightly staged, though. Do pro cyclists usually wear team-issue clothing when they have goats climbing all over them? Of course, most pro cyclists probably rarely have goats climbing all over them...
But maybe the goats touched our hearts to help aid in his popularity.

This thread is like a mountain stage choo choo train with Kwiatkowski leading the peloton: it's designed to keep everyone together.

The Remco thread on the otherhand is like a flat stage with crosswinds with Kwiatkowski leading the peloton: designed for bad breakups all over the place.
Nothing absolutely nothing about Tibo should ever be compared to a Sky train. This thread and our love exists because he is the exact opposite of those miserable robots.

Nothing absolutely nothing about Tibo should ever be compared to a Sky train. This thread and our love exists because he is the exact opposite of those miserable robots.

Not to mention this:

One rider who often disturbs the unity of the Sky/Ineos train is Pinot.
One poster who often disturbs the unity of this thread is McBindle.
And "McBindle is the Pinot of the Pinot thread" is just not a sentense I can wrap my head around.

The team message is "stages and podium" but the team is built to get Thibaut and David safely to the Granon stage. That's when the Tour will really start.

No Reichenbach, no Molard: a typical FDJ GC squad would have included at least one of them, as well as another strongman for the first week. Here, we have pairs of riders: Two leaders and two locomotives, Le Gac and King Kung (who can also win an ITT.) Then two versatile helpers, Duchesne and Geniets. Finally, Storer and Madouas can either help or go for stages.

If the elements are not a factor during stages 2, 3, and/or 4, if the cobbled stage doesn't deliver, time gaps will be too small for Thibaut to be allowed in a break on stage 7. That's his best chance of winning his home stage. And we may find ourselves on rest day with Gaudu and PInot seconds apart. No clear GC guy, no clear stage hunter.

The other scenario, with a route that reminds me of '14, is a combination of nordic winds messing with RedheadDane's hair ;), cobbles doing their job, and favorites who DNF or lose a lot of time week 1. Then, there may be a path for a GC run. If that is the case and Thibaut is in the GC picture, he will do what the team wants him to do. Even if this is not what he wants.

Unless '22 is the new '19 and TP stands for Turbo Pinot, I don't like the GC thing: a 5th place in Paris would add very little to Thibaut's legacy. On the other hand, early time losses would open the door for a KOM quest and breakaway opportunities. Odds to win stages would be better than mixing it up with the Slovenians in the final 2K of a mountain stage. And even if the break doesn't make it, there may be KOM points to get along the way, and sooner or later one break will stick.

Between LSPDBF, Granon, AdH on Bastille Day, Peyragudes, Hautacam, or even Mende, chances are that we will see fist pumping and goat memes.

Is he developing a rather strange habit, of only being able to win races outside the race in question's homecountry?
His most recent victory was a win in Tour de Suisse, in Liechtenstein. Before that he won a stage in Tour of The Alps - an Italian race - in Austria. Today was a stage in Tour de France, which mostly took place in Switzerland, but went back into France with around 10 Ks to go...

TRENDING THREADS