• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I had to wait and see the closing ceremony to be sure that he made it...

There were flashes and two nice wins last year, yet the comeback wasn't complete. Not as it relates to the three-week thing, the repeated heartbreaks. I'm so happy for Thibaut Pinot. Great Giro!

Le Tour? That wasn't the plan but when Gaudu is in l'Equipe asking for him, the guy who sacrificed his chances for Alaf' will answer the call.

The Thibaut Pinot that we saw can exit the scene in Lombardia with a dramatic win or a dramatic loss (to Pogacar I would guess) and close the loop. Leave on top or close to it, with goodbye fireworks. Plenty of them.

Tre Valli: that one will close the loop too.

The Thibaut Pinot that we saw can exit the scene in Lombardia with a dramatic win or a dramatic loss (to Pogacar I would guess) and close the loop. Leave on top or close to it, with goodbye fireworks. Plenty of them.

Or help Gaudu to a dramatic win! :D As you said; he likes Gaudu, and it would be a great way of "passing the torch".

Great article about having finished his final Giro on a high note:

This quote in particular hits home:

The last image people had of me on the Giro was my abandon the day before Rome in 2018.

Now, perhaps, this will be the last image people have of him in the Giro:

DSC_2386-2048x1367.jpg

Now, time to celebrate a Giro well-done, and a happy birthday! :shortcake:

Last edited:
I'd go to the Vuelta a Espana and target stage wins & another mountains jersey. Countless stages from the Pyrenees until the Sierra de Guaderama where he can get a win and collect points.

Better than go to the Tour de France tuckered out from the Giro d'Italia, not at your best. Just don't do that. I know the temptation is there. But it's wrong most likely.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tonton
If Pinot does the Tour as domestique for Gaudu then he'll have no chance of a stage win, unless Gaudu abandons or loses a lot of time.
I think he still would have a chance in the last week unless Gaudu is very strong and has a chance to finish top5.

If Gaudu is more like back end of top10 after two weeks which I expect then pinot might get a chance or two to go for a stage in the last week

I'd go to the Vuelta a Espana and target stage wins & another mountains jersey. Countless stages from the Pyrenees until the Sierra de Guaderama where he can get a win and collect points.

Better than go to the Tour de France tuckered out from the Giro d'Italia, not at your best. Just don't do that. I know the temptation is there. But it's wrong most likely.

I suppose you're right. It's just... Pinot in the Tour has potential for a lot of greatness. It also has potential for a lot of heartbreak, but... that's part of the deal from being a fan of this guy, I guess.

In my opinion, the worst thing that could happen would be if he went to the Tour, and was forced to pull out. He didn't want people's last image of him in the Giro to be him pulling out, I would imagine that's even more the case for the Tour.
Otoh, the best thing that could happen would be if he went to the Tour, and was able to play the same role for Gaudu, as Gaudu played for him in 2019.

I suppose you're right. It's just... Pinot in the Tour has potential for a lot of greatness. It also has potential for a lot of heartbreak, but... that's part of the deal from being a fan of this guy, I guess.

In my opinion, the worst thing that could happen would be if he went to the Tour, and was forced to pull out. He didn't want people's last image of him in the Giro to be him pulling out, I would imagine that's even more the case for the Tour.
Otoh, the best thing that could happen would be if he went to the Tour, and was able to play the same role for Gaudu, as Gaudu played for him in 2019.
Frankly, I just took Moncoutie as a reference and there it was a very bad idea in 2012!

Gaudu really comes off as a little crybaby. It's not like FDJ can bring a lot of other climbers to support him.
They did really well supporting him (several times bringing him back toward the lead groups) on the lower and mid- slopes of climbs last Tour. But no one who could be there in the elite group in high mountains. But for the “outsiders” in this coming Tour, they will just depend on following Jumbo or UAE when one of those teams is chasing the other. Obviously there are still drawbacks to being isolated at that point.

TRENDING THREADS