• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Think before you start a thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
180mmCrank said:
0531964-ANQUETIL_POULIDOR.jpg

Actually I was trying to find a picture of the 'unmetionable one' being a good team mate to his 'team leader' but this was the best I could do - I think he is trying to give him a water bottle! I am hoping that I'll be able to get a better one than this in a couple of weeks on the slopes of Mont Ventoux - what do you think? :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I suggest that you guys don't use pictures (or better links to pictures) that include the name of the climb...

'Guessing right' is then comparable to using EPO in the 90s; easy, no repercussions and with a high rate of success. :rolleyes:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I suggest that you guys don't use pictures (or better links to pictures) that include the name of the climb...

'Guessing right' is then comparable to using EPO in the 90s; easy, no repercussions and with a high rate of success. :rolleyes:

OmG! The cheaters's - two year suspensions for them all.

Bala Verde said:

Thats why i saved the pic to my pc, changed the name (to something like "climb"), then put it through imageshack. That way no cheaters.:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Thats why i saved the pic to my pc, changed the name (to something like "climb"), then put it through imageshack. That way no cheaters.:D

You should work for the anti-doping/cheating brigade... You'll get them!!!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yes, this should be in the "About the forum" section, but here is a rule I would like to see people follow.

1. Before posting a thread, read the first 2 pages of threads and don't post it if there is already a thread on the topic.

This Vino thing is ridiculous. It would have taken maybe a minute for each thread starter to read through and see that we had threads from yesterday to use for this "news." Don't just read cyclingnews main site and come here and start a thread as, because of time zones, things like the whole Astana situation have been read by others well before many of us woke up.

You kick other good threads on other topics back when you post the 15th freaking Astana thread.

Maybe we should just 'quote' TFF's original post - just in case we run out of mountains!

May 2, 2009
Visit site
How about its a free damn country, and anyone can start any damn thread they feel like discussing. If you want to censor what threads are made, start your own damn board and be the only thread starter.

How about this....if you don't like a thread title or subject....

DONT READ IT OR REPLY TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Wolfpengap said:
How about its a free damn country*

I'm assuming you live in the US? This board is actually international. Just to add to your perspective.

An I'm sorry if myself or anyone else is ever too aggressive, but honestly the large number of threads started on redundant/silly topics actually make it significantly more difficult to find and continue conversations.

it's nothing personal, it just helps everything work a little bit more smoothly. peace.

Wolfpengap said:
How about its a free damn country, and anyone can start any damn thread they feel like discussing. If you want to censor what threads are made, start your own damn board and be the only thread starter.

Folks, I think there is a happy medium here.

I think the main point is to not start a thread on a topic for which there is already an active thread discussing the same topic.

However, I don't think it should apply to related but not identical topics. For example, someone just started a thread about the very specific topic of whether LA and AC need to attack each other on Sunday. I'm sure there is no other thead about exactly that topic, so that should be fine, even though there is a general Lance topic and there is will be a general topic about that stage.

Personally, I would like to see more threads with specific topics and a lot less diverging outside of the scope established by the opening post (OP).

Wolfpengap said:

How about when someone barges into a community, they figure out what the community how the community works before they start bleating about their damn right to sh!t on the standards everyone else has agreed are in the best interest of the community. This is why people hate Americans: Jack@asses who can only see their "right" to do as they please with no consideration for others.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
I'm assuming you live in the US? This board is actually international. Just to add to your perspective.

An I'm sorry if myself or anyone else is ever too aggressive, but honestly the large number of threads started on redundant/silly topics actually make it significantly more difficult to find and continue conversations.

it's nothing personal, it just helps everything work a little bit more smoothly. peace.

Well, unless there are posters here from Communist China, North Korea, Iran or Cuba, I am assuming most of the folks here from Western Europe, Great Britian or Australia are also in free countries and therefor also may start any post they feel like.

Either that, or give out an email for the thread starter police who must OK any thread submissions!

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Personally, I would like to see more threads with specific topics and a lot less diverging outside of the scope established by the opening post (OP).

And I'd like to see far less threads hijaked by doping accusations, etc...(Hi WBT) But I'll never get that, will I?

On those lines, great ride Haussler - but it just means he doped up today, right? Instead of great, gutty ride and hard work, he must have just hit the needle yesterday. Chavanel's juice looks like it ran out too soon, huh!

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Wolfpengap said:
Well, unless there are posters here from Communist China, North Korea, Iran or Cuba, I am assuming most of the folks here from Western Europe, Great Britian or Australia are also in free countries and therefor also may start any post they feel like.

Either that, or give out an email for the thread starter police who must OK any thread submissions!

-country vs. countries... my issue was with plurality rather than degree of freedom.

-the issue is still what people have the right to do vs. what is wise to do. you can, of course, start as many threads as you want. unfortunately this makes each individual thread much harder to find. so it's not that anyone doesn't have a right, it's just that it kinda works better for everyone if we try to keep the number of threads... efficient.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Wolfpengap said:
And I'd like to see far less threads hijaked by doping accusations, etc...(Hi WBT) But I'll never get that, will I?

On those lines, great ride Haussler - but it just means he doped up today, right? Instead of great, gutty ride and hard work, he must have just hit the needle yesterday. Chavanel's juice looks like it ran out too soon, huh!

I agree completely with your first paragraph.

Your second paragraph has no business in this topic and can only be seen as inflammatory.

You do not enjoy limitless freedom to do what you want in the real world. Equally, if forums had no rules, guidelines or accepted standards, there would be name-calling anarchy, or worse. At a certain point, un-moderated forums implode and disappear.

Wolfpengap said:

Very few people in the entire English speaking world, with the exception of Americans of a certain political persuasion, still refer to 'Communist China'.:rolleyes:

All anyone here is asking is that posters, but especially new posters, use their eyes and exercise a bit of common sense before hitting the submit button about something that's just shot into their heads, but that may already be on the board.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
I agree completely with your first paragraph.

Your second paragraph has no business in this topic and can only be seen as inflammatory.

Exactly my point!! I can't read a thread about the race or a riders performance without the doper posters crawling out!!! It is infuriating, and I was just trying to show the absurdity of it. But, it usually only follows LA, so everyone elses great rides must be legit. Only Lance's are subject to such scrutiny.

Anyway, hat off to Haussler.

ilillillli said:

+1........................

TRENDING THREADS