• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Think Contador's winning streak will change?

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Now that he's under the microscope a little more do you think Contdor's winning streak will change? After having been through this huge debacle for Clen I'd be surprised if he was willing to use any kind of hooch for a while.

-s

spessx said:
Hey guys,

Now that he's under the microscope a little more do you think Contdor's winning streak will change? After having been through this huge debacle for Clen I'd be surprised if he was willing to use any kind of hooch for a while.

-s

You also have to remember that if Contador was on the juice before and is scared to use now then that will show up as an anomoly in his passport because his blood profile will go out of wack

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I think he'll have a very different year under Riis, but not for Clinic type reasons. Riis says in Velonation that he's relieved Alberto didn't win Algarve, because he doesn't want him too fit too early, with bigger fish to fry later in the season.
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7...ieved-that-Contador-didnt-win-in-Algarve.aspx

Contador said that in the past, there was always pressure on him to go out and get that early win, so he'd be in shape for the one week stage races, then have to take ten days completely off to recover before training for the Tour. Last year that got disrupted when he rode the two classics.

This year he's racing the Giro to win, and depending how things go, will also do another grand tour. It means that in mid-May he might have to be in the kind of shape he normally is by Castilla y Leon. His results in Algarve - missing the podium by two seconds - came at a race where he just got his license back the afternoon before, missed a flight, and ended up getting where he needed to be at 3:30 in the morning. He also had a much different off-season than usual, to say the least.

It is good that people here understand that he IS under intense scrutiny, and that a positive before a CAS decision would be devastating. If he pulls off, or gets close to, the Giro - Tour double, I hope people will figure out that might be the reason he could be a bit less successful in the early season. Riis wants him to start out easier and build up to the Giro d'Italia without the rest period.

El Imbatido said:
You also have to remember that if Contador was on the juice before and is scared to use now then that will show up as an anomoly in his passport because his blood profile will go out of wack
Indeed, but whom REALLY got caught that, as opposed to the passport being declared the victor, after a positive test for a PED? I know only one, Pechstein. People even still get away with days above 50% Hct. I only costs them a race.
He'll need to be tested daily in GT's, preferably with a C sample always going to the same lab, for consistency. No sudden appearances of any substance allowed. No rise in Hct allowed

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, clinic-thread > clinic answer.
Alberto will just (have to) find someone from Cologne lab, who can do that accurate Hyper-Clen-Test, before he does a blood donation and refill.

Or they are now going to improve from microdosing to microdosing. :D

theswordsman said:
I think he'll have a very different year under Riis, but not for Clinic type reasons. Riis says in Velonation that he's relieved Alberto didn't win Algarve, because he doesn't want him too fit too early, with bigger fish to fry later in the season.
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7...ieved-that-Contador-didnt-win-in-Algarve.aspx

Contador said that in the past, there was always pressure on him to go out and get that early win, so he'd be in shape for the one week stage races, then have to take ten days completely off to recover before training for the Tour. Last year that got disrupted when he rode the two classics...

I agree... anyone say what you want about Riis, but his guys get results or are in the mix for wins. Riis seems to know how to get his guys prepared and be in the right form at the right time. AC didn't jump to Riis for no reason.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
spessx said:
Now that he's under the microscope a little more do you think Contdor's winning steak will change?

That's what I saw when I first read it. :D

Possibly, although I think he'll simply change the menu and be right back up there. He's not yet out of the frying pan with appeals, however.

spessx said:
Hey guys,

-s

I think he's been under the microscope since his name was linked to Puerto. Also considering the nature of his racing season and his performances at those races, it would seem that he would be tested often anyway. It's not like he's sitting in the middle of the pack coasting through these races, not getting any type of placing.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
spessx said:
Hey guys,

-s

The major changes for Contador and Co (his doctors) will be:

-test for a lower tolerance of Clen in his internal controls
-make sure the blood is stored in a sturdier fashion so as to get around plasticizers tests.

I don't get the impression clen is something Contador (or anyone) used as part of a routine program, but rather something they'd use as needed, so chances are he won't use clen again. He'll have to be more careful with his weight, no big deal.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
El Imbatido said:

It might show up, but the UCi won't prosecute him for that.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

Contador said that in the past, there was always pressure on him to go out and get that early win, so he'd be in shape for the one week stage races, then have to take ten days completely off to recover before training for the Tour. Last year that got disrupted when he rode the two classics.

This year he's racing the Giro to win, and depending how things go, will also do another grand tour. It means that in mid-May he might have to be in the kind of shape he normally is by Castilla y Leon. His results in Algarve - missing the podium by two seconds - came at a race where he just got his license back the afternoon before, missed a flight, and ended up getting where he needed to be at 3:30 in the morning. He also had a much different off-season than usual, to say the least.

It is good that people here understand that he IS under intense scrutiny, and that a positive before a CAS decision would be devastating. If he pulls off, or gets close to, the Giro - Tour double, I hope people will figure out that might be the reason he could be a bit less successful in the early season. Riis wants him to start out easier and build up to the Giro d'Italia without the rest period.

What does being "under scrutiny" mean? Answer: nothing.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

Darn Straight Mr. HEMO did not want him to win Algarve because there may have been some extra testing going on...........that they would have to either hid from or do the usual dirty tricks.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
What should change with the same people doing the same tests as before?
I actually hope so. UCI would have gotten away with covering up the positive, if the German lab that conducted the test didn't rat everyone out to the press.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
If he's targeted he'll be tested win or not.

Good luck to the little ToyPistol with that targeted testing that I am sure the UCI will ensure he gets the phone call on well before the vampires show up.

Memo to toy pistol. Make sure you keep the hair cuts clean and use those blood thinners.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well he won't be drawing any blood if he's been on the clen, that's for sure. And he'll try to win the Giro in case he gets bumped from the Tour. Assuming no problems with his race licence or medical program, he could continue the tour streak, but after a tough Giro it will be pretty hard to beat a fresh Schlecklet.

AC would be odds on favorite to win the Tour this year IF he didn't also plan on the Giro. He is in much better hands with Riis and a better team than last years Astana. He put too much pressure on himself knowing his team was very weak. And he still won. "09 won with team working against him.
Giro will be very tough race though. The double, ehhhh

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Depends how serious he and the rest of the peloton have taken the test to discover minute amounts of clen. it just means a better time frame for the 'training' needs to be organized.

the plastizer test, now that would really shake things up and we might seem real results.

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
AC change

patrick767 said:
I think his winning streak will suffer a major disruption when he's banned on appeal.

I can only talk about his performances post sin bin, as I believe AC will not survive the impending CAS appeal.

My belief is WADA will approve a plasticizer test soon. Combine Cologne type testing for substances(including plasticizers) with the Bio Passport program, now maybe, just maybe the ball game returns to a more realistic court!

This results in a shuffling of top 20 GT contenders. Now the clean contenders are in with a show.

In the past, the belief was the cheaters(fraudsters) were always ahead of the technology. Maybe a plasticizer test would be a game changer!

Optimistic - maybe way too optimistic, ask Hugh!

With a plasticizer test in place and after time in the corner, I do not believe AC will win another GT. That is my rant for the day.

and have a good day

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dallas_ said:
I can only talk about his performances post sin bin, as I believe AC will not survive the impending CAS appeal.

My belief is WADA will approve a plasticizer test soon. Combine Cologne type testing for substances(including plasticizers) with the Bio Passport program, now maybe, just maybe the ball game returns to a more realistic court!

This results in a shuffling of top 20 GT contenders. Now the clean contenders are in with a show.
In the past, the belief was the cheaters(fraudsters) were always ahead of the technology. Maybe a plasticizer test would be a game changer!

Optimistic - maybe way too optimistic, ask Hugh!

With a plasticizer test in place and after time in the corner, I do not believe AC will win another GT. That is my rant for the day.

and have a good day

I agree and that's part of the quotient debated (and ignored) on the Gesink TT thread. Many seemingly solid riders will fold early without the benefit of unfettered medical aid and you need look no farther than last TdF poster boy, Levi. Most riders could not survive 3 weeks without a bad day or two; making for a really exciting race. My optimistic hope, too.

TRENDING THREADS