• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

This Forum Is Dying

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
No problem the censorship of this UK based MB is - telling in the direction you take. No worries. We all understand the direction and motivation. It's a killer and no doubt other locations have felt the same.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
This forum is being pretty darn active for a supposedly dying forum. :D

....yeah, the following is from the first post in this thread....which btw was posted early Jan. 2014....

We all know it is true. Time for the FID thread. This will be version 3 or 4, forget which

...seems the patient is still kicking....

...just sayin' eh....

Cheers

Ok, you win. Too many rider discussion threads. Back then they used to be exclusive to riders who deserved them, not just someone who goes into a break and, for getting his name displayed on TV, becomes slightly less a 'nobody'. I'm for some of these topics being locked/deleted to be fair.

And of course the forum is not dying. Nor will it die unless by owners' decision.

I think it's safe to say that threads for riders who end up not really doing much will just fade away into nothingness. Then, if said rider suddenly reappears - as seems to have happened with Joe Dombrowski - CMP's index will make it easier/possible to check if that rider already has a thread.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I think it's safe to say that threads for riders who end up not really doing much will just fade away into nothingness. Then, if said rider suddenly reappears - as seems to have happened with Joe Dombrowski - CMP's index will make it easier/possible to check if that rider already has a thread.

Maybe. But as it stands that front page is just a pain to look at. However, I fear we'll be opening threads for every obscure rider that shows himself a bit, therefore keeping it clogged for eternity. Perhaps a single thread to discuss these one-trick ponies would work.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I agreer with Bigmac here. I think it kinda hurts spontaneous discussion.

Which is exactly what your ill-judged and pointless intervention achieved today. I treated this topic with some disdain till today, but if your action is part of the new regime around here, rather than just an individual aberration, I can guarantee a further exodus of sensible, rational posters who choose not to be treated like little kids, especially not by a brand new mod.

Maarten's life may be a fascinating subject, but it's not the topic of the thread, so let's discuss Babes on Bikes shall we?

"Get a life" is not something that needs to be edited out c.q. 'censored'! It does not constitute an invitation to a discussion about that person's life, or to a fight. It is an expression, no more. Giving me a 'warning' for the expression "get a life" leaves me speechless.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Amsterhammer said:
Red Rick said:

Which is exactly what your ill-judged and pointless intervention achieved today. I treated this topic with some disdain till today, but if your action is part of the new regime around here, rather than just an individual aberration, I can guarantee a further exodus of sensible, rational posters who choose not to be treated like little kids, especially not by a brand new mod.

Maarten's life may be a fascinating subject, but it's not the topic of the thread, so let's discuss Babes on Bikes shall we?

"Get a life" is not something that needs to be edited out c.q. 'censored'! It does not constitute an invitation to a discussion about that person's life, or to a fight. It is an expression, no more. Giving me a 'warning' for the expression "get a life" leaves me speechless.
well yeah I have a similar example but just agreed to move along. Same moderator i would guess.

I have to let stuff go here or else I will end up banninated.

Maybe it is because they live in the same country as you do hammer?

Amsterhammer said:
Red Rick said:

Lol, hamster, get a life :D

Amsterhammer said:
Red Rick said:

Pretty sure it's just the rude way you usually respond to an opinion different than yours. "You should get a life", while not the most offensive comment one can make, is a totally uncalled for remark which only intends to have a go at the poster and not the post. So just admit you're wrong instead of trying to guilt trip the mod with this tired "exodus/the forum is dying" nonsense.

"Especially by a brand new mod". Lol. As if mods needed a trial period before they could enforce the rules. Not their fault some people feel entitled to some non-existant privileges.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

BigMac said:
Amsterhammer said:
Red Rick said:

Pretty sure it's just the rude way you usually respond to an opinion different than yours. "You should get a life", while not the most offensive comment one can make, is a totally uncalled for remark which only intends to have a go at the poster and not the post. So just admit you're wrong instead of trying to guilt trip the mod with this tired "exodus/the forum is dying" nonsense.

"Especially by a brand new mod". Lol. As if mods needed a trial period before they could enforce the rules. Not their fault some people feel entitled to some non-existant privileges.

No surprise to see this kind of irrelevant response from you, or that no apology was forthcoming from RR. Kindly don't presume to tell an old, native English speaker what words or expressions mean in English. No, I was not wrong, the response was.

Apology from Red Rick? You can't make this stuff up. The only irrelevant thing was you telling Maarten to get a life. Hence it was deleted. Post, not poster. Really easy to grasp. Are we expected to believe you didn't mean it in a condescending tone? What else can those words mean? You seem to think you can call people whatever crosses your mind and, if mods do something about it, blame political correctness and overzealousness, when they're just trying to keep some minimal standards.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Though the forum might not be dead or dying, things sure do change (no value judgement about the quality of the change intended here). I haven't been too active for a bit, but I noticed some regular posters (from the café) being gone for a long time and only now realized they got permabanned and when I wanted to see the discussion which no doubt ensued I realized the member suspension appreciation/depreciation thread got locked. This remembered me that we used to have separate appreciation and depreciation threads for riders back in the day. Furthermore thinking about other regulars who got permabanned my thoughts of course went first to Ryo Hazuki. I'm a nostalgic person though, sometimes I miss all the dysfunctional old habits of this forum, the legendary trolls and admittedly also some more functional regulars who became more inactive (gained a life?). Well, what can I say, πάντα ῥεῖ......

TRENDING THREADS