• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

This may be the deterrant needed

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
How do they intend to force Beltran to pay? He's is too old to race after his ban expires.

Don't know about the civil liability laws in Italy, but he'd be fairly screwed here in the USA. About the only thing that could not be taken from him is Tax-Qualified monies (pension, retirement accounts, IRA's, 401k's, etc.). Everything else would be on the table including income and future income.

Scott SoCal said:
Don't know about the civil liability laws in Italy, but he'd be fairly screwed here in the USA. About the only thing that could not be taken from him is Tax-Qualified monies (pension, retirement accounts, IRA's, 401k's, etc.). Everything else would be on the table including income and future income.

It sounds like it is an Italian cycling federation telling a Spanish citizen to pay. What legal power do they have to enforce the judgement?

Kender said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/beltran-must-pay-liquigas-damages-for-doping-positive

dopers might get hit in the pocket twice if they get fined for doping then sued by the sponsors. that'll make them think hard
I would think this is a unique case. In my opinion, most of the times some of the team managers and doctors know what he is doing. Like Hog-Armstrong, Riis-Schleck, etc. In that case there is no way the Team will pursue any damages. Otherwise be prepare for serious whistle blowing. Looks like Beltran was assigned to be a domestique and was not part of the full medical program and he was desperate and turn to EPO.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
It sounds like it is an Italian cycling federation telling a Spanish citizen to pay. What legal power do they have to enforce the judgement?

Not much one would think. But to the OP, if the team sponsor can show monetary damages and recover, that might be a ton of deterrent (if enforceable).

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
It's the EU

As I understand it, there are treaties that mean that judgements in one EU member's court are generally enforceable in other EU members.

That said, if you pick up an introductory criminology textbook, it'll explain a long history of research that shows the key with punishments reducing crime isn't so much the harshness of the punishment but the probability of it being administered. If cycling wants to clean up its act further, it needs to catch more cheats, not bring out the stocks for the few unlucky ones who are currently getting caught.

Escarabajo said:
I would think this is a unique case. In my opinion, most of the times some of the team managers and doctors know what he is doing. Like Hog-Armstrong, Riis-Schleck, etc. In that case there is no way the Team will pursue any damages. Otherwise be prepare for serious whistle blowing looks like Beltran was assigned to be a domestique and was not part of the full medical program and he was desperate and turn to EPO.

What makes you think they didn't know what he was doing, they were expecting him to ride strong weren't they?

Hugh Januss said:
What makes you think they didn't know what he was doing, they were expecting him to ride strong weren't they?
Because he would talk. He would have nothing to loose. The fact that Liquigas is going after him for damages tells me that he was doing it the Renegade way.

Wouldn't you talk if the same people that gave you the dope then turn on you and want to take you to court?

Escarabajo said:
Because he would talk. He would have nothing to loose. The fact that Liquigas is going after him for damages tells me that he was doing it the Renegade way.

Wouldn't you talk if the same people that gave you the dope then turn on you and want to take you to court?

1) I don't think that necessarily follows. Their explanation would be that Beltran was just making it up, and why would they sue him for damages if they (the team) were involved. I think the teams are almost always in the know about what their riders are doing.

2) Not if I ever wanted to ride again.

I think it is just a way for the team to deflect blame, who knows they may even give him the money back later on.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
In that case there is no way the Team will pursue any damages.

the way i read the article is it's not the team that was going for damages, but the sponsor. it's the sponsors rep that was harmed (hence damages)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
no it will not solve the problem but it may indicate an interesting and important trend. team title sponsors may be moving to the right side in a more than symbolic way.

the attitudes seem to (or should ) be changing from silent approval to dont-ask-dont-tell to 'i'll sue you-if-you-dirty-my-name'.

LG had more than its share of doping positives and would really get a big hit if the currently most powerful pro tour team gets another one.

they will never collect the 100,000 euros from the spaniard. but they are making a statement. to me it seems more effective than writing stupid salary multiples into riders contracts like katusha did.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Deterrent? The teams know about it. The DS knows about it. Everyone knows about it. The only guy who gets hit is the lowest one on the totem pole?

Yeah, you're solving the problem. :rolleyes:

'zactly! this just perpetuates the most insidious myths out there. that doping riders are just a few renegade bad apples working alone. absolute bs.

these repayment type clauses protect all the wrong people. and allows the uci to go on appearing to be aggressive about doping while doing nothing more than picking off the occasional powerless rider. it's a total sham!

so, any rider who gets caught gets vilified and hung out to dry? all while their teams and directors have a mechanism to shield themselves from their obvious involvement in a systematic doping program? arghh!:mad:

and yes, he can talk. it's true. that worked out so well for those who have done so in the past. :rolleyes: