• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas de Gendt Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
IMO He's too young to be a leader yet. De Gendt is a better climber than Kwiaktowski too.

How so? He already led their team in the mental toughest GT with bigget media frenzy i.e. Le Tour where he came 11th in his first attempt..
Better climber ? 4th at Tirreno, 11th at Tour ( as well as the Ardennes which do involve sharp climbs ).

And before you came to say anything about Giro podium, we are talking about right now, not 2 years ago who was better.

From the season De Gendt shown, I wouldn't put any trust on him..

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
De Gendt has shown far better climbing ability and far better tt ability than Kwiatkowski.;) Also far better gt ability

I am talking about now....

This year, no he didn't. and you never know if he'll come back to his old level. Where it's likely Kwiat will improve...

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
I am talking about now....

This year, no he didn't. and you never know if he'll come back to his old level. Where it's likely Kwiat will improve...

Didn't you see De Gendt getting third in the flat TT in the TDF this year, behind Martin and Froome, beating Kwiatkowski by half a minute?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Didn't you see De Gendt getting third in the flat TT in the TDF this year, behind Martin and Froome, beating Kwiatkowski by half a minute?

Ummmmm and your point is ? :confused:

11. POL KWIATKOWSKI Michal OPQ 18'59"
96. BEL DE GENDT Thomas VCD 2h53'41

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Yes, he is. I am not saying he isn't.

But his climbing has been nowhere this season, and saying he should lead GC's where Uran isn't present at this moment is a joke.

True, Kwiatkowski is probably a better horse to bet on for the sake of reliability. Nevertheless I reckon De Gendt deserves a free role to go stage hunting or see what is possible for the GC.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:
If he'd stayed with his old team he'd have to take a 100% pay cut, there is no Vacansoleil next year. 80% is better than 100%. :(

I thought they still have a team but at a lower level, and De Gendt had a contract with them until the end of the next year.

Now it makes sense he only signed one year, because he may get a much better deal later if he could perform this year.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Since this would get lost between the chaos that is the stage thread: big props to this guy. He now has a stage on Stelvio and Ventoux. For not being a true climber, that's impressive!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Buffalo Soldier said:
Since this would get lost between the chaos that is the stage thread: big props to this guy. He now has a stage on Stelvio and Ventoux. For not being a true climber, that's impressive!

And a podium at the Giro. Many climbers who focus their career on finishing in the top ten in a GT have never achieved that, like Gesink, VDB2, Mollema (this might be his year though), Zubeldia, Tejay van Garderen, Kruijswijk, etc.

Shame that an amazing win for Thomas de Gendt is so overshadowed. Great win, was really rooting for him in that final sprint. Seems well on his way to the combativity award + KoM, as well as having a Tour stage in the bags. Combativity depends on the amount of punches Froome plans to give though.

TRENDING THREADS