• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas de Gendt Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
karlboss said:
Honestly sounds like moderate dehydration to me.

Sure hope so, in TOA he said he lost time is because he is changing riding position, it worked well for him in the past why all of sudden he wants to change riding position. Now in France he said he had heart beat problems. No matter what I hope he can get to the bottom of it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
This model is setting up a stage win pretty nicely.

A big solo win might be on the cards later.

My thoughts exactly, as long as he is healthy, being 17 minuntes back just means a better chance of a breakaway win.

Before the tour De Gendt spoke more of a stage win on the Mont Ventoux or l'Alpe d'Huez than of a good placing in GC. I don't think he will mind that much about today's loss. And he's right. Better a prestigious stage win and a low placing in GC than an 8th place (or so) in GC and nothing else.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
wait , does this mean De Gendt has to ride in a lower level?
Wow from career high to career low, all it take is just one year.

"It made a difference in who we could sign for 2013. It was difficult to find riders because we could only offer them work for one season. Only some young riders, which I won't disclose, and Thomas de Gendt have a contract for 2014."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vacansoleil-breaks-with-bianchi-as-sponsor-hopes-fade

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Billie said:
He said in Belgian newspaper today he is waiting untill the team declares him free from his 2014 contract. He has already had some talks with other teams. But he definatly prefers to stay with the team if they continue

he is at team's mercy, what if the team downgrade but won't release him from the contract?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
he is at team's mercy, what if the team downgrade but won't release him from the contract?

I'm pretty sure he is free to go if the team is no longer in the WT. It's been a while since I read the rules, but there's something in there about guys with contracts on WT teams, where the team steps down to a lower level - those contracts are no longer valid. Guy can leave team, renegotiate with same team, or keep existing contract, but it's the rider's choice.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
I'm pretty sure he is free to go if the team is no longer in the WT. It's been a while since I read the rules, but there's something in there about guys with contracts on WT teams, where the team steps down to a lower level - those contracts are no longer valid. Guy can leave team, renegotiate with same team, or keep existing contract, but it's the rider's choice.

if he had that clause in his contract

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Punished by his loyalty ? LOL

Perform better and you'll get offers. Performs ****e as you did this year and there's lack of insert.

Data from his passport ? Isn't it logical ? The guy gets 3rd at Giro out of nowhere, and then later can't keep up with most of the peleton field in most races. Enigma of a rider.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Out of nowhere?

In his first Grand Tour he finished with the heads of state on Alpe d huez and then 4th in the tt the next day despite having got a bad injury at the beginning of the race.

Did you expect him to podium GT that year ?

Okay I agree, 'out of nowhere' is too strong term for it, however it was still surprising. And yet he's still really deliver big time after his GT podium. Which makes it reasonable to get his data..

Gloin22 said:
Did you expect him to podium GT that year ?

Okay I agree, 'out of nowhere' is too strong term for it, however it was still surprising. And yet he's still really deliver big time after his GT podium. Which makes it reasonable to get his data..
It was surprising, but he was going to manage merely a low-grade top-10 until he pulled that tactical move that put him on the podium due to the incompetence and cowardice of all the real contenders.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS