• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas de Gendt Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
So, he said he was aiming for a top 20 in the Giro and ended up 3rd. Now he is aiming for a top 10. I think there is only one logical conclusion, De Gendt will win the Tour de France :cool:.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I don't care whether or not you're a fan of him. Back up your accusation that he always talks like that with some arguments instead of just saying it.

You're acting all mighty now that he was underrating himself before the Giro while you even said he was not a GT rider. How much of a hypocrite are you?

I said he wasn't a gt rider? I said he neede da good team around him to place him. I never said he couldn't do a top 20 :rolleyes: I've always been one of the believers in de gendts incredible talents

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I said he wasn't a gt rider? I said he neede da good team around him to place him. I never said he couldn't do a top 20 :rolleyes: I've always been one of the believers in de gendts incredible talents

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=857825&postcount=87

Yeah, luckily for you I remember everything I read. So while Hitch did say he was a GC contender you said he wasn't(you have to look at the whole conversation of that page though).

El Pistolero said:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=857825&postcount=87

Yeah, luckily for you I remember everything I read. So while Hitch did say he was a GC contender you said he wasn't(you have to look at the whole conversation of that page though).

I like that convo :)

Bavarianrider said:
For the GC this is totally irellevant.
There simply isn't one serious GC contender in this Giro who is an above average TTlist. So even if someone like Schleck looses close to a minute on the winner, he-ll still only lose a few second on the best GC guy

The Hitch said:
Thomas de gendt.

will10 said:
I think you missed the word "serious" in BR's post ;)

Ryo Hazuki said:
and gc contender

Cheers grills ;)

Very talented rider but I don't think many expected him to podium the Giro. Good in long breaks and very strong but I have doubts about his consistency in a race like the Tour. I would be surprised if he made the top 10 and Sky were not an issue in the 2012 Giro. I think he would have been better off riding the Giro again even though Sky will be an issue in both races this year.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Very talented rider but I don't think many expected him to podium the Giro. Good in long breaks and very strong but I have doubts about his consistency in a race like the Tour. I would be surprised if he made the top 10 and Sky were not an issue in the 2012 Giro. I think he would have been better off riding the Giro again even though Sky will be an issue in both races this year.

not going to happen, he is in a dutch team. They are obsessed with Tour, Besides DeGendt himself said Tour climb suits his character much better than Giro or Vuelta climb.

maxmartin said:
not going to happen, he is in a dutch team. They are obsessed with Tour, Besides DeGendt himself said Tour climb suits his character much better than Giro or Vuelta climb.

it will likely end in the dull placement category, if De Gendt tries to just hang on the train and see where it get him.

Riders like him (there are quite a few) should rather tank an early stage and go in a key break to try and upset the applecart.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Who wants to be in a breakaway today? :D

You must be crazy :p

Why not, when you do things most people thinking otherwise in the bike race, you can increase your odds of success. And actually today if is even better idea to get into breakaway because team car follow you closely you can get water and ice whenever you want. Sounds like a much better idea than suffocating in the peloton. Who is crazy now?:p

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
disappointing showing from De Gendt today, he better gets his act together otherwise it would be hard for him to find a nice team:eek:

They just need to let Rujano ride, that's all they need for succesful stage races. :p

May 19, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Of course not, at least the Belgian teams will want him. And BMC, the semi-Belgian team.

He seems to have medical problems. Hope he can figure things out. It will be a pity if he retires so young.

“There’s something not right, my heart rate was too high,” De Gendt told Sporza. “I was trying to ride in the peloton when I got dropped by 160 or 170 riders and I realised that I couldn’t do any more.

“My heart rate was way too high and I don’t know where that comes from,” De Gendt said. “I was at 170 beats per minute very quickly and on that long climb I peaked at 180 beats per minute even though I didn’t go very deep.”

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
He seems to have medical problems. Hope he can figure things out. It will be a pity if he retires so young.

“There’s something not right, my heart rate was too high,” De Gendt told Sporza. “I was trying to ride in the peloton when I got dropped by 160 or 170 riders and I realised that I couldn’t do any more.

“My heart rate was way too high and I don’t know where that comes from,” De Gendt said. “I was at 170 beats per minute very quickly and on that long climb I peaked at 180 beats per minute even though I didn’t go very deep.”

Honestly sounds like moderate dehydration to me.