• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas De Gendt - What do we know

A

Anonymous

So what do we know of this guy, 1st year pro, 22-23 years old
but an absolute revelation in the tour of britain, 3 succesive days in the breaks, leading both the king of the mountains and the sprints..

so what do we know of him, who is he, what has he done..

real prospect, or just having a good week..?

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He is known as a talent in Belgium.

But also, in the 1st breakaway, he was quite easily dropped by Reus.

dropped, or dropped back once the points he needed where in hand, not sure it wasnt team orders with him just after jerseys...

the guys certaionly got ability and guts, maybe just needs taming a litlte bit..

found a bit more.. 13 victories with a couple this year, obvioulsy at a lesser level, but mountains and sprints jersey in TOB would certainly add to his palmares nicely
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...mas+De+Gendt&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=La1

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
2 stage

it was thomas his second brakeway in the second stage. Kai Reus didnt try to loose thomas in the last miles, but he just lett him go. when the peloton almost catched the 3 leaders, thomas went, with kai reus following him. Kai was super that day even for de Gendt. thomas did for the 4th time escaped in the ToB. he even did almost succeed by 1,5K to go the break was catched. if you want to now more about thomas he is a very good TTer, he has a very good sprint. in a minor group you can bet on him to win. he hates riding in the bunch. he was with Jan Bakelants the best U23 rider last year in belgium. Thomas is always going for mountain or sprint points. he can not resist it. Thomas is also a Teamplayer, he did a hell lot of work for his teammates in the first half of the season. Next year he is riding for Topsport Vlaanderen again an he wil for certain be in the Top!

Even if he isn't the best climber or the best sprinter or the best TTer, his attitude will probably make him a strong and successful rider. There have been riders who have made break aways their signature strength so why not de Gendt...

Then again he might just be antisocial and doesn't like het other people in the peloton so he instead stays away from them as much as possible. ;)

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Even if he isn't the best climber or the best sprinter or the best TTer, his attitude will probably make him a strong and successful rider. There have been riders who have made break aways their signature strength so why not de Gendt...

Then again he might just be antisocial and doesn't like het other people in the peloton so he instead stays away from them as much as possible. ;)

topsport norway said:
he hates riding in the bunch.

im starting to think he is just unpopular... or maybe he smells funny :D

well hes already popular with the british fans.. when he tried to break away yesterday i was just head in hands thinking "what the hell are you doing"..

i dont think the ToB is the only time we are going to see him, and i think hes going to give us a lot of fun, maybe not so many wins, but certainly fun in the future.. story of the ToB for me by a long way..

havnt seen todays yet.. i almost hope he has another bash.. :D

A

Anonymous

hes at it again.. another breakaway.. more sprint points.. more mountain points...

we are gonna have to chuck him in the clinic soon..

TRENDING THREADS