• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas Lövkvist or Löfkvist??

Thomas Lövkvist or Löfkvist??

Okay, pardon my French, but who the heck made the talented Swede switch surname?

I understand that some English speaking people find it difficult to pronounce or spell the "ö" and therefore write "o" instead. But now even CQ and Team Sky's own web page states his name as Löfkvist - Has Thomas had a name change that I haven't heard about? Because his name is (or at least WAS) spelled with a "v" instead of the "f".... Enlighten me please!:confused:

May 15, 2009
Visit site
On September 10, 2009, Lövkvist was presented as a rider for the newly established British Team Sky, where he has chosen to spell his name 'Löfkvist'. While it's not yet clear which spelling is original, Team Sky officials have said that the name appears as 'Löfkvist' on the rider's passport, and he previously has used that spelling in the Olympic games.[6]

That is what Wikipedia tells us.

Kazistuta said:
Okay, pardon my French, but who the heck made the talented Swede switch surname?

I understand that some English speaking people find it difficult to pronounce or spell the "ö" and therefore write "o" instead. But now even CQ and Team Sky's own web page states his name as Löfkvist - Has Thomas had a name change that I haven't heard about? Because his name is (or at least WAS) spelled with a "v" instead of the "f".... Enlighten me please!:confused:

It's Thomas himself that has made the change.

His name has always officially in his passport been spelled with an f but his family has always used the v spelling. This is not an uncommon thing with certain names and there are even examples of people in the same family spelling their names diffrently.

I'm not sure why he has chosen to spell his name like his passport now of all times.

As a side note, Löfkvist had a good start to the season with a 10th place in the opening stage of Vuelta a Andalucia.

TRENDING THREADS